Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway from New York

Options
  • 19-11-2011 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

My husband recently was accepted to Galway University and now I am frantically searching for employment! I have inquired with some headhunter agencies and have found links to numerous classifieds and job posting websites. The only problem is Dublin seems to be the hot spot for jobs right now and is definitely too far from where we will be.

Any suggestions on how to find a job in Galway when I live in New York? Any reliable and updated websites? job hunting agencies that specialize in finding jobs for people relocating to Ireland?

Or if you know of jobs in Galway City - I have been in the hospitality industry for 2 years now, with Group Sales (Wedding group reservations management and Meeting/Conference planning as my specialty) - I have a strong track record of exceeding revenue expectations every quarter and would love to continue this trend in Galway with a reputable hotel.

Any information is helpful!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 schroad

My husband and I are moving to Galway within the next 6 months - 1 year and I continue to see information about how difficult it is for Americans to receive a work visa for Ireland.

My husband will be studying so he has a student visa, but as for me, I will need to work while we are there.

Everything I read says if I make or will be making less than 60,000 euro I will have a very difficult time receiving a work visa. How accurate is this information? Does anyone know from personal experience?

I have also read about a holiday work visa, but it seems to apply only to recent (within 12 months) college graduates or students. But it also says that it applies to those who are up to 30 years old. It is also only good for 18 months and we will be in the Galway for at least 3 years.

Is it really that difficult to get a Irish work visa if I am from New York? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

I cant help you much other than say welcome to Galway!:D

Thank you! I am really looking forward to living there! We went on vacation a year ago and absolutely fell in love with everything Galway had to offer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If you get work in your line with a US company they will sort the Visa for you.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    If you get work in your line with a US company they will sort the Visa for you.

That's good to know - I actually work at a Marriott in NY right now and I know there is one in Galway so I was going to look at possibly getting transferred. If that is the route I go, and it works out, it should be a little easier than if I were just going in blind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

schroad wrote: »
    That's good to know - I actually work at a Marriott in NY right now and I know there is one in Galway so I was going to look at possibly getting transferred. If that is the route I go, and it works out, it should be a little easier than if I were just going in blind?

No Marriot in Galway anymore. Was renamed recently to "The Pillow".

No Marriot in Galway anymore. Was renamed recently to "The Pillow".

Just discovered that :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Possibly, but work visas are trickier now than say a few years ago. Also depends on what job you do/did. Unless it's a specialized or highly skilled area, visas may not be granted as an Irish person could probably do the job.

Best of luck.

That is what I keep reading - even if I were offered a job and the employer were willing to pay for the visa and do all the paperwork involved, they have to keep the job open for 2 months and prove they tried finding someone in the area with no success.

Right now I work as a Group Sales Manager at a Marriott - I work with booking large group reservations and meetings/conferences. Something that is discouraging is I have read that sales positions in the Hospitality industry are illegible for work visas :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

I would recommend (on the basis that you can hopefully afford to, as one of you is working), consider setting up as a "sole-trader", with an emphasis on events organising/intermediary between hotels and venues and businesses.

Venues and hotels in West are unable to hire someone specifically for that role and depend on their management/receptionists to act as marketing also.
    I feel many would be happy to outsource some of such responsibilties on a % basis.

Edit. Sorry, is your husband staff or student?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Here's some links to the main ones, I personally found Collins McNicholas very good (as they found me a job!)

www.collinsmcnicholas.ie/

http://www.icejobs.ie/

http://www.harmonics.ie/

http://www.cpl.ie/

http://www.ccprecruit.ie/

Check the local paper also http://www.advertiser.ie/galway they sometimes have vacancies & good luck with the move!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭mangled

I would agree with Andrea. Perhaps you should consider event planning/management. This way you would not be tied to any hotel and means you can work with all the major hotels in the Galway City area.
    Hope your move is successful and wish you and your husband all the best.
    I might see him around the Unversity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't want to sound too discouraging but ...

Firstly, do you have a visa that will let you work? I've met a few American university spouses etc, who haven't been able to get such a visa, so have been "at leisure" whether they wanted to or not. (Good news is that there does seem to be a network of them, who you may make friends with.)

Second, you've been used to being in high performing roles - I'm guessing in places where you knew people, the local laws and the local culture. You're coming to place where you have no contacts initially (maybe your husband can get you some thru his work/study, maybe he can't), where there is high unemployment, and a love/hate relationship with Americans, and a culture that is quite unique, and a different legal framework. Sorry, but I cannot see that you will be able to work at the same level here, at least not initially.

I don't think you'll get a job before you get here, and you may struggle even when you're here. That's just the way it is, in most cities and most industries: employers want to actually see and meet you, unless you bring a particular rare and valueable skillset.

Now ... having said the nasty stuff, here are some suggestions.

Is there any volunteer work that you've always wanted to try? (it cannot be with vulnerable people, because you won't get police clearance for that). Or anything you've wanted to study?

Would you consider far lower level role, and working your way up again :-( ? If so, write a 2nd and even 3rd CV that is "dumbed down" - eg my real one says "elicited functional requirements" where my other one says "made changes on the computer".

And one suggestion that you might actually like: do you have any contacts in the American multi-nationals that operate here (HP, Boston Scientific, Medtronic are the biggest, you may spot other names you recognise on this list of major employers). If so, perhaps you would work them to see if they can get you either work here, or perhaps introductions to people who might help.

Sorry to sound so negative ... but it seems to me that honest feedback will be more useful to you.

Good luck with the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That is what I keep reading - even if I were offered a job and the employer were willing to pay for the visa and do all the paperwork involved, they have to keep the job open for 2 months and prove they tried finding someone in the area with no success.

That's right ... and "the area" means the whole EU: this makes it just about impossible for most Americans.

Unless you can convince an American company that they really do need an American to do something for them here.

The only other option I can think of is if you can find an Irish grandparent, or some way of qualifying for a passport from some other EU country.

Yes, it sounds harsh. But think how hard it is for Irish people to get work visas for the US ...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

schroad, I've merged your two threads about moving here since they deal with the same issues.

About getting a work and visa here, I can only chime in with previous posters.
    A ring to the Irish Embassy is probably the quickest way to get initial info, if you haven't already rang them.
    A lot of Irish people are unemployed at the moment so finding work in a small town like Galway will be difficult.

You've probably googled tons already but here are 2 more links
    www.thesession.org/discussions/display/7358
    www.americansingalway.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Paul.M92

My husband recently was accepted to Galway University and now I am frantically searching for employment! I have inquired with some headhunter agencies and have found links to numerous classifieds and job posting websites. The only problem is Dublin seems to be the hot spot for jobs right now and is definitely too far from where we will be.

Any suggestions on how to find a job in Galway when I live in New York? Any reliable and updated websites? job hunting agencies that specialize in finding jobs for people relocating to Ireland?

Or if you know of jobs in Galway City - I have been in the hospitality industry for 2 years now, with Group Sales (Wedding group reservations management and Meeting/Conference planning as my specialty) - I have a strong track record of exceeding revenue expectations every quarter and would love to continue this trend in Galway with a reputable hotel.

Any information is helpful!

There are many reputable hotels in Galway. While I don't know if they are hiring I can give you a list:

The G Hotel
    http://www.theghotel.ie/

The Carlton Hotel
    http://www.carltonhotelgalwaycity.com/
    Carlton Hotel Galway City
    Dublin Road, Galway, Ireland
    Carlton Shearwater Hotel
    Marina Point, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway, Ireland.

The Raheen Woods Hotel (this one is about a 7 minute trip on the motorway outside of Galway city)
    http://www.raheenwoodshotel.ie/

Park House Hotel
    http://www.parkhousehotel.ie/
    Park House Hotel, Foster Street, Eyre Square, Galway

Hotel Meyrick
    http://www.hotelmeyrick.ie/
    Hotel Meyrick, Eyre Square, Galway

Radisson Blu Hotel
    http://www.radissonhotelgalway.com/
    Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa Galway, Lough Atalia Road, Galway, Ireland

They are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.
    Also you could check with the local newspapers.
    The Galway Advertiser
    Galway Advertiser
    41/42 Eyre Square
    Galway

The Connacht Tribune
    The Connacht Tribune Ltd.
    15 Market Street,
    Galway,
    Ireland.

Hope this helps

Andrea B. wrote: »
    I would recommend (on the basis that you can hopefully afford to, as one of you is working), consider setting up as a "sole-trader", with an emphasis on events organising/intermediary between hotels and venues and businesses.

Venues and hotels in West are unable to hire someone specifically for that role and depend on their management/receptionists to act as marketing also.
    I feel many would be happy to outsource some of such responsibilties on a % basis.

Edit. Sorry, is your husband staff or student?

A "sole-trader" - is that a freelance-type of employment? My husband will be a student.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

Thats a big step down moving too galway from new york. I do hope you find a job soon. What is your husband going to study

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭yenoah

op, You mentioned an expectation of less than €60000. This worries me a little on your behalf because it's a very high salary for Ireland and in particular the hospitality industry.

If you are settles in NY and already in employment, why not let spouse come over for 6 months, suss out the scene and see whats what. You're gonna get a fiscal shock if you move here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

u might encourage him to apply for similar courses in universities state-side.

Why leave a decent job job in New York so your spouse can study in a university that's barely holding onto it's place in the World Top 400 and has dropped about a 100 places in the last few years, in a country that discriminates against Americans as regards work visas and is heading down the toilet so fast that no has a clue if ATM machines will be even giving out money in a few months time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Alanerin218

I can't help you on the Job hunt, but if you want another NUIG (American) Spouse to chat with when you get here, send me a message! I'm 26 and from St. Louis Missouri... My husband is in NUIG for a part time source right now and starting a Full time Bachelor of Law Course next year :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

u might encourage him to apply for similar courses in universities state-side.

Why leave a decent job job in New York so your spouse can study in a university that's barely holding onto it's place in the World Top 400 and has dropped about a 100 places in the last few years, in a country that discriminates against Americans as regards work visas and is heading down the toilet so fast that no has a clue if ATM machines will be even giving out money in a few months time?

Isn't the power of positive thinking a wonderful thing!!!!.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭yenoah

Isn't the power of positive thinking a wonderful thing!!!!.:(

Ah I think a bit of practical thinking is in order in fairness. The power of positive thinking has left a lot of people high and dry!, the power of intelligent thinking is a different thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

yenoah wrote: »
    Ah I think a bit of practical thinking is in order in fairness. The power of positive thinking has left a lot of people high and dry!, the power of intelligent thinking is a different thing.

Can't argue with you there.
    Perhaps a combination of both would work.

Advertisement