Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room rental:got deposit back, landlord harrassment

Options
  • 19-11-2011 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hey, I got my deposit back on a room I was renting for 3months. I asked the PRTB and Threshold about my rights and they said I could have my full deposit back if I found a suitable tenant to replace myself with.

Basically I'm leaving because one of the current tenants was bullying me. Kept shouting at me (tv or music on at the weekends but not high).

So I found a guy to move in, he gave me the deposit to secure the room which I have used on my new place. I checked out his references for the landlord and send them on, got him to set up his direct debit for the next rent day and pretty much did all the legwork I had to do.

So anyway I am now being demanded to give the landlord the money I got for my deposit so he can "issue me a cheque". This is a private landlord, they don't own any major firms or anything.

Does the landlord have a right to do this? Threshold don't think so nor does the PRTB. Anybody had a similar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

he gave me the deposit to secure the room which I have used on my new place.
    Why were you taking the deposit from the new tenant? The deposit is paid to the landlord, not to the previous tenant! Using it as your own deposit on your new place only makes it even worse; that money is not your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Tell the landlord that you'll give him the deposit by cheque when he gives you a cheque for yours, or that you will give him cash if he gives you cash.

Sounds like he's playing games.

As long as you have advice from Threshold and the PRTB, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hey, I got my deposit back on a room I was renting for 3months. I asked the PRTB and Threshold about my rights and they said I could have my full deposit back if I found a suitable tenant to replace myself with.
    Back, as in; back off the landlord, I'm assuming, as opposed to off the new tenant. The reason being that should the new tenant leave, the landlord doesn't have to give him any any money, as he never gave the landlord a deposit. Some places do a rolling deposit, but as you paid the landlord the money, this doesn't seem so. As well as that, the landlord has no proof that there the tenant ever gave you a deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why were you taking the deposit from the new tenant? The deposit is paid to the landlord, not to the previous tenant! Using it as your own deposit on your new place only makes it even worse; that money is not your property.

I assume because there isn't a snowballs chance of getting the deposit back from the LL or he wouldn't have done to the PRTB in the first place.

I'd walk away. Landlord has his tenant, and the amount of the deposit. Money doesn't need to change hands at all. The only reason that landlord would want cash back to issue a cheque would be to stiff the tenant.

He doesn't need the money to write up a letter as a record of what happened.

Advertisement