Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV.com versus HMV stores Ireland

Options
  • 19-11-2011 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Just priced a CD I was interested in on-line with hmv.com it was Stg£3.99, then I priced the exact same item in HMV Blanchardstown and it's 11.99euro!! :mad:

That's far too much of a mark-up imo. How can they justify that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

4 pounds sounds like a special offer, HMV Ireland is another company but true we do get ripped off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

just use amazon, sendit.co.uk or such

Homebase UK/IRL is a similar rip-off example.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Stuff on Amazon is usually cheaper than HMV to start with, and the postage costs certainly are. You'd be a fool to buy anything from HMV, and the fact that most people know this, is why HMV always seems to be hovering on the brink of disappearing altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

Last xmas i got the complete minder boxset for my boyfriend. it was £80 on hmv website but when i rang hmv in drogheda to order it it was €256!! Got it on amazon for £50
    Bloody joke and i haven't shopped in hmv since!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 GZ250

I wont be buying the CD in my local HMV that's for sure. Will price it on Amazon etc.,;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

The prices in HMV here are normally very competitive with the online sites

The boxsets and games are normally cheaper in the shops here than online in a lot of cases. The consoles are also very good value in HMV at the moment with a 160GB PS3 with a game for 219.99 (262.99 on Play.com) and an XBOX 360 4GB with Battlefield 3 for 169.99.

Notable offers which are cheaper in the shop than in Play.com at the moment are;

Back to Future Trilogy Digipak - HMV Henry St: 8.99 Play.com: 10.99

Battlefield 3 XBOX or PS3 - HMV Henry St: 47.99 (previously 44.99) Play.com: 49.99

COD MW3: HMV Henry St: 52.99 (12.99 if BF3 traded in) Play.com: 53.99

Archos 10.1 tablet: HMV Henry St : 139.99 (sold out at the moment)

A lot of the price differences seem to occur on deleted products where the product is no longer a mainstream item and is not avaliable for reordering.

It's not really fair comparing a B+M shop to one of the on-line sites based in Gurnsey (play.com, sendit.com, thehut.com etc.) as the site based in Gurnsey are not charging VAT on the products. The Revenue tend to be quite strict on shops here charging VAT.

H.M.R.C. in the UK has changed the rules in regard to customs exceptions for small value items from outside the EU, so the prices on the sites are likely yo go up soon as they are going to have to start paying VAT on the goods.

I always prefer to buy from a B+M shop for the following reasons;

- Product in stock to take away immediately
    - Supporting Irish economy (shop pays wages, Irish VAT, PRSI, income tax, rates etc.)
    - Higher levels of customer service and after-sales support

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

HMV ships from the channel islands, you will get hit for VAT on bigger purchases, I got stung for €30 on a €100 box set last year! Be careful about this, other wise good service!

With insgore pricing in HMV you will often find the same product with a range fo prices, this is down to the manner in which they order stuff in. They can get the same product from different places and as such it will retail on shelf for a different price. Last week I boght the Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc Sec on Blu-Ray. There was three identical copies, one for 11.99, one for 19.99 and one for 27.99. Today when I was instore they had Tree of Life in one section for 26.99 and in another for 22.99.

To be fair to them they have some great deals and there's a certain pleasure to being able to go into a shop and browse around for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

here's a strange one,
    i was HMV, Kilkenny, wednesday. I picked up the Superman Anthology blu-ray boxset, and the price said 45.99, i bent down to put it back and there was another behind it, but this was priced €27.99, needless to say i got that one. an isolated incident your thinking, not so.

I then picked up the Godfather: Coppola Restoration blu-ray boxset, that was priced a whopping 49.99, after last incident i instinctively looked at one behind and that was 32.99.

I didn't bring this to the attention of the staff in case there was a mistake and would have to fork out for the dearer prices.

Granted shops can make a few mistakes here and there, but why were all the dear priced ones in front of the cheap ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

I was getting some stuff in HMV for my Mam last week - had it totted up to be about €60 odd - was charged €68 and change. Paid and left, giving myself a good telling off about how bad my mental arithmetic was. Mam said it was a bit dearer than she thought too, so I checked the receipt - overcharged by €2 on one item and €5 on another. Went back in and explained my case and got her money back - no drama, it can happen but I'll be a bit sharper the next time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement