Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish African Americans?

• 19-11-2011 4:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 265 ✭✭

If the equivalent of an african american in ireland is an african irish what would the correct term be if an african irish moved to america? an african irish american? or what if an african american moves to ireland would the correct term for the person be an irish african american?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Duine gorm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Blackie.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Chips Ahoy

These are the questions that keep me awake at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I know someone who had an "African American" friend. This friend was from Cork and had neither been to Africa or America in her life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

this is one of those IQ test things isnt it. If all zips are zops and all zops are zoodles then how many bowls of crispies can a zop carry

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

Naggers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Boy?

Guh. I hate this "African American" or "coloured" bollox. Cannot understand why calling someone black is racist. Heck, I'm not white, I'm more pink. Pink is a colour, so therefore I'm coloured too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

As one of my students once asked me, "if the plural of louse is lice and of mouse mice, why do you say houses and not hice?";););)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

They're called Africans. PC gone gone mad I tells ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Guh. I hate this "African American" or "coloured" bollox. Cannot understand why calling someone black is racist. Heck, I'm not white, I'm more pink. Pink is a colour, so therefore I'm coloured too.

Is that a new fashion trend amongst celebrities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Black lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

AG2R wrote: »
    They're called Africans. PC gone gone mad I tells ya

Not if they don't come from africa.

Last time I checked "black" was still okay here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    As one of my students once asked me, "if the plural of louse is lice and of mouse mice, why do you say houses and not hice?";););)

I hope that kid got 5 gold stars on everything they did for the rest of the year! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 fatwarren

coloured boys...saidwith a mississipi accent

''they came down here looking for trouble and thats what they got''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

If the equivalent of an african american in ireland is an african irish what would the correct term be if an african irish moved to america? an african irish american? or what if an african american moves to ireland would the correct term for the person be an irish african american?
    human apparently.:pac:

depends on what is the needed term to refer with-colour or origin/nationality/descent as well? there really isnt any need to describe someone in big sentances on their skin pigment and where their origins lie unless its official business.

ask people who are black if they are ok with the word and will probably find its not black people who are offended but other people who seem to feel the need to get offended on behalf-which is technicaly more offensive in and of itself to automaticaly assume a group of people need speaking for based on their race.

by trying to get around saying the word black using long drawn out methods,it suggests there is something taboo and not normal about black skin to the point it cant be refered to,there is nothing more normal on a person than skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Saila wrote: »
    I hope that kid got 5 gold stars on everything they did for the rest of the year! :p

That "kid" was in her early twenties. And yes, she did all right for herself.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Black Paddy or dark Mick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

"coloured"
    It's not the fifties.
    Cannot understand why calling someone black is racist.
    It isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Eddie Murphys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Yea I am with el weirdo on this. I just say black too. I don't think they care.

I don't get offended by being called white, even though I MUCH prefer 'west european caucasian'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭LaFlammeRouge

CNN made a gaffe a couple of years ago, calling black French rioters "African Americans".

Heard for the first time a few teenagers calling their black friends, African Irish. Thought it was a bit odd and would not use that term at all. I would think it would be a bit of an insult tbh too. Fair enough if they were born in Africa, but if they are Irish you should be referred as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

"Irish people"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

John Doe1 wrote: »
    "Irish people"
    Yep. Heard a wee black lad in tesco the other day with the broadest Letterkenny accent imaginable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Oh god the term African American has so much baggage to it I don't see how we need the equivalent
    s/he's Irish, if in the rare scenario its necessary to point out their race they're just black as some blanket term, even if they're black and Irish it doesn't mean they're African Irish anyway or of African origin. So yeah no need really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 fatwarren

an ace of clubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Ellis Dee wrote: »

Is that not how they do it in Northern Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

What has their colour got to do with their nationality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Not if they don't come from africa.

Last time I checked "black" was still okay here?

used widely in England and ireland. no idea why black is bad in America, and White is ok.

saa wrote: »
    Oh god the term African American has so much baggage to it I don't see how we need the equivalent
    s/he's Irish, if in the rare scenario its necessary to point out their race they're just black as some blanket term, even if they're black and Irish it doesn't mean they're African Irish anyway or of African origin. So yeah no need really.

This.
    What has their colour got to do with their nationality?

This debate is about what to call black Irish people, like say you were to describe someone's appearance to some one else. Do you say black, African Irish, or African American?

The last one is ludicrous. African Irish is ok. Black is easier, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Seán Ryan dubh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

African American:- Unless you're from Africa, you're American. If you want to further distinguish your color, then you're Dark Brown.

What the hell would you cause a white african living in america?!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Liamario wrote: »
    you're Dark Brown.

Then what do you call a "white" person in that case :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

Tiger Woods once tried to explain that he had more than just African ancestors, it didn't turn out good. Any dark skinned person describing themselves as Irish could get locked away.

Advertisement