Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Range Antenna

Options
  • 19-11-2011 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭

Could anybody recommend a antenna for a UPC Cisco modem that gives out a stronger signal.

Not really an option to move the modem elsewhere and i'm only receiving between 20% - 30% signal on my Playstation which is upstairs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Could anybody recommend a antenna for a UPC Cisco modem that gives out a stronger signal.

Not really an option to move the modem elsewhere and i'm only receiving between 20% - 30% signal on my Playstation which is upstairs.

Do you have the new UPC modem/router in one or the old Scientific atlantic cisco modem connected to Netgear router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Vanbis wrote: »
    Do you have the new UPC modem/router in one or the old Scientific atlantic cisco modem connected to Netgear router?

New one I think. Cisco epc2425

New one I think. Cisco epc2425

I'm not to famliar with that model. One option would be to buy something like this Netgear. It has a wireless N300 which might be better then what you currently have. You'd disable the wireless on your Cisco and use this.

Have you tried checking the wireless settings on your Cisco or changing the channel to see if you get a better connection for your PS3?

I'm not to famliar with that model. One option would be to buy something like this Netgear. It has a wireless N300 which might be better then what you currently have. You'd disable the wireless on your Cisco and use this.

Have you tried checking the wireless settings on your Cisco or changing the channel to see if you get a better connection for your PS3?

I can get into the wireless options on my modem but would't have a clue what to look for.

Regarding changing the channel how would that effect the devices that I have connect to the modem ?

I can get into the wireless options on my modem but would't have a clue what to look for.

Regarding changing the channel how would that effect the devices that I have connect to the modem ?

Anytime you use a mobile etc sometimes you get interference affecting the quality of the call. The wireless on your Router is affected in a similar way. Anything from wireless cordless phones to your neighbours broadband can affect it, lots of different devices can affect the wireless broadcasting the singal.

Can your PS3 see the wireless connection at all?

Log into the Cisco and you will see the menu on the left side. Look for "wireless basic settings" and you will see a drop down menu for changing the channel. It might be set to Auto. Just change it to channel 4 and test that for a while. You will have 14 different channels so go through so test a few.

If it doesn't resolve your issue than i would buy Netgear router.

• Advertisement

Anytime you use a mobile etc sometimes you get interference affecting the quality of the call. The wireless on your Router is affected in a similar way. Anything from wireless cordless phones to your neighbours broadband can affect it, lots of different devices can affect the wireless broadcasting the singal.

I see, I've kind of noticed the weak signal only lately since the iPhone was connect. As well as that there are 2 iPods (iTouch) 2 laptops and a Playstation. Would that me considered too much ?
    Can your PS3 see the wireless connection at all?

Yes but only getting around 30% of a signal. This is very noticeable when playing Call of Duty. Brought the Playstation downstairs earlier closer to the modem and can see the difference.
    Log into the Cisco and you will see the menu on the left side. Look for "wireless basic settings" and you will see a drop down menu for changing the channel. It might be set to Auto. Just change it to channel 4 and test that for a while. You will have 14 different channels so go through so test a few.

Will try this thanks :)

I see, I've kind of noticed the weak signal only lately since the iPhone was connect. As well as that there are 2 iPods (iTouch) 2 laptops and a Playstation. Would that me considered too much ?

Nope.
    Yes but only getting around 30% of a signal. This is very noticeable when playing Call of Duty. Brought the Playstation downstairs earlier closer to the modem and can see the difference.

I would say then all you need to do is change the channel.

Will try this thanks :)

Let us know how you get on.

Tried it there last night and no change at all. Like I said it's only recently that the signal has become so weak. Usually I was getting around 70% but now its dropped below 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Down load Inssider http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ it will show you all the wireless networks around and what channel they are operating on.

If one of your neighbours is on the same channel to you change yours to one at least five away from theirs to avoid interference.

Thanks have it sorted now, UPC recommended channels weren't set right. Still don't know what caused the change though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement