Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remind me to never order from play.com again.

Options
  • 19-11-2011 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

I pre-ordered a game from play.com on the 4th of November. It states that it was dispatched on the 8th of November, with a delivery estimate of 3-5 working days. It's now the 19th of November and I still have not received my game. I contacted them yesterday - and they stated that if it has not come by the 29th of November - to contact them again.

That's almost a month from the date of order, to them accepting the package has not been received.

I will not order from them again. Anyone else have similar issues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yep, stopped using them years ago. Sure look at their exchange rate in €, they are rip offs. I use Amazon instead.

You have to be a fool to use play.com imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

I've had this problem once before with Play but any other time I've never had a problem.

I do think they have a lot of good deals aswell, got Gilmore Girls boxset and Katy Perry cd for pressies for people just recently and the prices were excellent! Suppose it depends on what you're looking for, certainly you should always compare before you buy!

When my item didn't deliver it took a month and then you have to fill out a claim form and you will eventually get the option of having the item resent or getting a refund, it is a pain and the biggest downfall is you can't ring them and deal with customer service so you have to weigh up your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

A month is not as unreasonable as you're making out.

I order from play.com when they're the cheapest, which they rarely are. I do not consider myself to be a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Neither am I. I always research and order when they're the best deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Zab wrote: »
    A month is not as unreasonable as you're making out.

In my view, it's very unreasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

dlofnep wrote: »
    In my view, it's very unreasonable.

I'll second that. Play are just terrible. Even on a good day it takes about two weeks to get anything from them. Amazon all the way. Order on a monday have it by the thursday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I pre-ordered a game from play.com on the 4th of November. It states that it was dispatched on the 8th of November, with a delivery estimate of 3-5 working days. It's now the 19th of November and I still have not received my game. I contacted them yesterday - and they stated that if it has not come by the 29th of November - to contact them again.

That's almost a month from the date of order, to them accepting the package has not been received.

You say you pre-ordered. When was the game released for general sale?

Also 15 days is hardly almost a month especially when the game was sent on the 8th of November. Realistically only 9 working days have passed since your game was sent. Don't forget Play send their stuff by the slowest method possible so Weekends wont count towards delivery.

I found with Play stuff in the past they took at least 10 working days. Your game will most likely turn up early this week.

Doesn't matter. It was dispatched on the 8th. I pre-ordered on the 4th. It's an odiously long time to take a game to get here in anycase, especially if I have to wait until the 29th before they deem it lost in transit. Amazon usually ships in 2-3 days.

You might be content with waiting 2 weeks for a parcel - I'm not. Won't be ordering from play.com again, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,418 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Play.com are in Jersey. When they say 3-5 days they are talking about to the UK. I am afraid 7/8 days in total is the norm for their deliveries to Ireland.

Also 15 days is hardly almost a month especially when the game was sent on the 8th of November. Realistically only 9 working days have passed since your game was sent. Don't forget Play send their stuff by the slowest method possible so Weekends wont count towards delivery.

I found with Play stuff in the past they took at least 10 working days. Your game will most likely turn up early this week.

Yep, all 100% correct.

If you want something sooner than don't order from tax havens in Jersey or Guerney - buy it in the shops or buy from amazon.

noodler wrote: »
    Play.com are in Jersey. When they say 3-5 days they are talking about to the UK.

Well, their website stated the estimated delivery time of 3-5 days. That's their problem for not giving a correct delivery estimate. Either way - Something being dispatched on the 8th, and still not being here on the 20th of November is odiously poor.

• Advertisement

If you want something sooner than don't order from tax havens in Jersey or Guerney - buy it in the shops or buy from amazon.

Well, if you had of actually read anything in the thread - you'd see that the conclusion of my first post was that I would not be ordering from them again. :)

It's none of my concern where their business is based. It's based in Europe, and 12 days after dispatch it's still not here. That's the only point that matters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Amazon is definitely the way to go, although if you order off Amazon make sure the order is fulfilled by Amazon. As someone else said, if you order on a Monday you'll have it in your hand on Thursday.

I haven't used Play.com in years, not because of bad service or anything, although I do remember waiting longer than I would have wanted for stuff.

I normally order from Amazon, and likewise - haven't used play in years but never had problems with them in the past. But I decided to use them to pre-order this game. Never again!

playau.png

Well, their website stated the estimated delivery time of 3-5 days. That's their problem for not giving a correct delivery estimate. Either way - Something being dispatched on the 8th, and still not being here on the 20th of November is odiously poor.

Now you know better.
    Well, if you had of actually read anything in the thread - you'd see that the conclusion of my first post was that I would not be ordering from them again. :)

It's none of my concern where their business is based. It's based in Europe, and 12 days after dispatch it's still not here. That's the only point that matters.

And don't get smart with me because of your own ignorance.

Its only been 8 working days - pretty much the norm for Play.

You should always check where a company is based before doing business - common sense really. You should also check a company's reputation before you order anything online.

And don't get smart with me because of your own ignorance.

Less of the "I told you so attitude". It just comes across as childish. There was nothing ignorant with regards to my purchase. I had ordered from them years ago without any problems. I decided to re-order from them, and now - I have issues. 12 days after dispatch without receiving an item is a cause for concern, regardless of what you feel. I've had packages come from the opposite side of the world quicker.
    You should always check where a company is based before doing business - common sense really. You should also check a company's reputation before you order anything online.

Why would I do that, when I have condescending posters like you here to tell me all about them?

Less of the "I told you so attitude". It just comes across as childish. There was nothing ignorant with regards to my purchase. I had ordered from them years ago without any problems. I decided to re-order from them, and now - I have issues. 12 days after dispatch without receiving an item is a cause for concern, regardless of what you feel. I've had packages come from the opposite side of the world quicker.

You many have had items arrive from other parts of the world quicker but you probably didn't have basic free delivery on those items.

Stop saying 12 days please - working days are what matter.

How is this a problem with Play by the way? They dispatched it - after that it is in the hands of Jersey Mail, some European mail service (usually Royal Mail) and then An Post. Play don't control these systems, maybe you thought free delivery meant a courior service?

It isn't an "I told you so attitude" - you simply don't like the fact this isn't quite the consumer issue you thought it was.

Why would I do that, when I have condescending posters like you here to tell me all about them?

Another tip if you pre-order items to try and get them early or on day of release is no to order outside of Ireland - even Amazon don't seem to get things here on day of release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

dlofnep, play dispatched the item and want to wait 21 days to make sure it actually is lost in the post. While you may get better service from other vendors I really don't see your argument that this is grossly unfair. I do agree that they could call it after two weeks rather than three as it doesn't seem likely to turn up in the third week (haven't done a survey on this or anything) but it really doesn't seem public-complaint-worthy, particularly not how you've phrased it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

OP to be fair Play.com even state the length of time the delivery takes in their help section. Altough it might have come up on the confirmation section I found Play's system always defaults to the UK no matter where you set your delivery address. So you will always get the 2-3 day thing on the confirmation. Let me point you towards their Delivery Policies:

http://www.play.com/Helpdesk/Getting_started/Play_com_delivery_policy.aspx#free_uk_delivery

First Class Delivery (UK only)

The estimated delivery time for First Class Delivery is 2-3 working days. Please be aware that you will be charged for this delivery option

Free Delivery outside of the UK

Products eligible

DVDs, Blu-rays, CDs, games, books, clothing and sports equipment are eligible for delivery outside of the UK. Unfortunately, we cannot deliver footwear, electronics, personal computers, gadgets, or mobile phones outside of the UK.

Export countries we deliver to

Our FREE export delivery usually takes 7-10 days to the following countries

Andorra
    Austria
    Belgium
    Cyprus
    Denmark
    Finland
    France
    Germany
    Gibraltar
    Greece*
    Greenland
    Iceland
    Ireland
    other countries etc etc .........

*Unfortunately, we are unable to deliver items over £30 to Greece.

Advertisement