Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Less common time signatures in dance music - Thoughts?

Options
  • 19-11-2011 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

I felt I would like to get away from the 4/4 buzz for a change so I went and produced a track in 5/4. I think it works:

http://soundcloud.com/v-force/uwip-11-5-4

It's a work in progress so bear that in mind. :)

I really don't do much DJing myself so I would be very interested to see what are people thoughts on using odd time sigs? I have stuff in 7/8 as well.

Would it just bust a DJ's nut trying to mix it in or would it be a welcome change from the 4/4 on da floor, so do speak?

And producers - ever consider doing something in different time sigs like that?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

It would make a great opening soundtrack piece for a really low budget, exploitative, 80s grindhouse zombie movie.

One where the zombies' tear the girls' shirts open, exposing their breasts, before they eat them.

Terrible wooden acting, awful script, plot holes, jarring soundtrack, like everyone involved in the production was really messed up on drugs, or going through a very difficult time in their lives; experimenting with their sexuality.....when is it ready.. this is a movie, I want to see it.

El Disco De la Muerte - A Columbian drug money laundering vehicle - and hey...some of those deaths might have been real. You never know with these crazy Latins. I think you need to add some VHS noise and wobble to the track

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

So.... that's a resounding no then?

Sky King wrote: »
    So.... that's a resounding no then?

In all seriousness.

I want you to listen to........suspend your prejudices and judgements - you'll also hear the funny time signatures.

As George Michael usetah say.....listen without prejudice.

And .. if you're not convinced, I'm serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

4/4 Base.

Have stuff flapping about over the top in 5/4.. over 2bars & 2 beats.. 5 bars..10bars.. over whatever.

Ah right so it's phasing yeah.... I suppose that makes sense. Kinda nice to do something different tho.

Anyone know famous dance tracks anything other than 4/4?

Apart from those smelly 6/8 numbers from basshunter et al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Phasing??

Its just music Man :)

You're talking to a guy who's bangin on about rhythm theory at 12 on a saturday night.

Go figure :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Some VS in 7/4

and some in 13/8 (phrased like 4/4 + 5/8 if you're into that)

That whole album Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding is amazing

Autechre in 5/4 (my favourite Autechre tune, too):

More Autechre in 5

(Wow, actually, that might be my favourite :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Hayte

5/4 doesn't make it hard to mix because any song with a constant rhythm is easy to mix. Difficult songs to mix are ones that have irregular phrases and the rhythm or tempo changes during the song.

One take live drums can also hard to mix because of drift. It just means that you can't really hold it in the mix for a long time or if you do, you have to constantly speed it up and slow it down to keep it from trainwrecking. If the song is beatless and has no regular rhythm (i.e. ambient) sometimes you just have to cue it in quick and crossfade before it turns into a complete mess.

Chemical Brothers do a fair bit of live drums and irregular phrasing making some of their songs a bit arsey to impromptu mix. You need to plan ahead or it could all go disastrously wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I think the most important part is that even if the track has weird time signature you would still have to have a good enough track that people would like to play it regardless of what time signature it is.

Maybe you shouldn't be thinking of interesting time signatures, but interesting rhythm patterns.

Things like patterns in Brazilian music. That kind of thing.

What makes Drum and Bass, and Dubstep interesting is the signature rhythms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

krd wrote: »
    Maybe you shouldn't be thinking of interesting time signatures, but interesting rhythm patterns.

Things like patterns in Brazilian music. That kind of thing.

What makes Drum and Bass, and Dubstep interesting is the signature rhythms.

Proper Garage is great for it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

"These round wheels are so boring, anyone have any decent square ones?"

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bulletdodge records

Venetian Snares is your man! Lots of artists experiment with crazy time sigs but that guy can still bring the funk!!!

Advertisement