Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free septic tank checks advertised on radio

Options
  • 19-11-2011 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭

I heard a company advertise on Highland for free septic tank checks, and I'm wondering where the catch is?

I mean, thats a big undertaking for a company to offer to do free checks, considering they might have to cover several hundred people over a wide area.

I'm thinking they might be angling like the tyre companies, who offer free checks, then tell you you need 2 new tyres at €100 ! Perhaps they are hoping to get the fee for any emptying that needs done?

Anyone know anything about them? Or called about getting a free check done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

you have heard about the gov failure on the eu water directive ? they'll come round, tell you it will fail the new gov test, sell you a new one (3 to 5k probably)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

NIMAN wrote: »

Anyone know anything about them? Or called about getting a free check done?

The company in question is DS Environmetal. I have dealt with them in the past on various industrial projects. I would highly recommend them, they come when they say they will, great communication, excellent price and service and also no hassle getting all the necessary paperwork, waste transfer documentation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

i could see the potential in still making money if they supply them and doing it legit. with word of mouth for doing an honest job they could develop a near monopoly on the supply market... you could always get a second opinion (unless they have something in the terms... then id run a mile)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But I'm guessing there are no 'terms and conditions' if you give them a call and ask them to come round and give your tank a check. Unless of course they get you to sign something before they do the check?

I know all about the Directive, thats why I'm interested in getting a check done free. But I'm just weary about how they can fund this unless they hope to get all the work if they find something wrong with your tank.

Not disputing their reputation btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The details of the scheme being introduced by the government (not the council btw) are not yet available so anything that is promised by any company or individual is just "pie in the sky"

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    The details of the scheme being introduced by the government (not the council btw) are not yet available so anything that is promised by any company or individual is just "pie in the sky"

But the only thing they are offering is a 'free septic tank check'. Nothing more.

I'm assuming they have a limited no. of responses to the check. Its either "your tank is grand", "your tank isn't working properly and needs attention", "your tank needs emptying". Can't think of any other outcomes. So surely the Government checks and what they entail doesn't stop them offering their own check?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Its a bit like the free tyre checks most people who get them checked need new ones but with the septic tanks they will be able to sell tank cleaning service aswell

In case anyone is interested in this septic tank inspection, some info from their website

http://dsenvironmental.ie/aboutus.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

What are they checking for? How does a septic tank fail?

LK_Dave wrote: »
    What are they checking for? How does a septic tank fail?

Baffle could collapse inside the tank, also i've seen a few tanks with damage to the side walls.
    The soakaway can get into bother as well (although this doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the actual tank)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

yourpics wrote: »
    Baffle could collapse inside the tank, also i've seen a few tanks with damage to the side walls.
    The soakaway can get into bother as well (although this doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the actual tank)

So does this mean when they come to inspect I have to have the tank empty? Do they cc-tv the foul line from the service manhole?

I checked my tank a couple of days ago. All I can see is water to the level of the discharge pipe. Besides checking for cracks in the walls - are there any tell tell signs that there are problems with the tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

We're going off the beaten track here lads. The discussion is about a company providing free septic tank checks in Donegal.

There is a thread here in the Construction & Planning forum on issues concerning septic tanks

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

yourpics wrote: »
    The company in question is DS Environmetal. I have dealt with them in the past on various industrial projects. I would highly recommend them, they come when they say they will, great communication, excellent price and service and also no hassle getting all the necessary paperwork, waste transfer documentation etc.

Yes and i have the exact opposite view, i will not write any negative comments on a public forum however
    pm me if anyone wishes...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 micjcarroll

I rang up and booked the free septic tank inspection with DS enviromental. They came out and checked my tank, told me it didn't need emptying for at least 12 months and gave me some good advice and info about what may be coming regarding new laws on tanks and also gave me there contact info and left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

gave me some good advice and info about what may be coming regarding new laws on tanks and

Care to share any of this advice DS enviromental micjcarroll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭JaneyMacker

NOBODY should get a new septic tank unless they are forced to.
    Imagine if you spent a few thousand euro on a new tank and it turned out it wasnt up to the standards they will require. You would have to get another one.
    What if they have grants for upgrading your septic tank? You will have missed that.
    What if so many people object to being told they need a new septic tank that they say its ok to keep the one you have. You will have spent thousands when there was no need.

OP, think of these free tests the same way as the free pre nct car tests.
    Wouldnt you be better off having the test, then going to the garage and saying it failed on A and B, please fix A and B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭JaneyMacker

I rang up and booked the free septic tank inspection with DS enviromental. They came out and checked my tank, told me it didn't need emptying for at least 12 months and gave me some good advice and info about what may be coming regarding new laws on tanks and also gave me there contact info and left.

Was it your living room phone that rang when you called them by any chance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Was it your living room phone that rang when you called them by any chance :D

Enough, if you think there is a problem with a post or find it suspicious use report.gif.This conversation goes no further!

Back on topic please.....

+1

Advertisement