Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSA under 24's increase?

Options
  • 19-11-2011 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

Is there an increase on the €100/€144 JSA for under 24's who are living alone and financially independent.

I see exceptions for having children or a spouse but other wise is it assumed that you are living at home because I'm not that's not an option and €100 a week won't cover my bills and rent.

I've been looking through threads and at this http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html

still none the wiser, thanks.

(It does say few times IF I am living with a parent, so if I am not does that mean I will receive a higher rate as my bills and rent as the same as a 25 yo+)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

It looks like under 24's only get the reduced rate.If you are living with a parent you will get even less depending on your parents means.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

welcome to my world..nope their is not. I get €144 a week to live on and i'm living out of home.

And yeah if you stay at home its means tested based on your parents income.

If you can get a fas course you can get an increase up to €188 but thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I think you are also allowed to try and get into shared accomodation with rent allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

welcome to my world..nope their is not. I get €144 a week to live on and i'm living out of home.

And yeah if you stay at home its means tested based on your parents income.

If you can get a fas course you can get an increase up to €188 but thats it.

Nice one, hopefully they let me go on a course even though I have a degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

I don't think that will be a problem. I studied five years to become a qualified Vet, I have a Veterinary Medicine degree from UCD, and a Department of Social Protection (FAS?) staff member asked me whether I was interested in an 'animal care' diploma in Bray Institute of Further Education...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

saa wrote: »
    Nice one, hopefully they let me go on a course even though I have a degree.

Of course they will. The only thing is more people are applying for courses so be prepared for an interview. Just talk to fas and find a course that suits you. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

There are exceptions to the new lower rates for those under 25, but not for the reason that they're independent. Here's the list of when exceptions apply: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html
    Exceptions to age-related Jobseeker's Allowance payments for people under 25

The reduced age-related personal and qualified adult rates of Jobseeker’s Allowance for claimants under 25 years of age do not apply to:

* Claimants with dependent children
    * People transferring to Jobseeker’s Allowance immediately after finishing their entitlement to Jobseeker’s Benefit
    * People transferring from Disability Allowance to Jobseeker’s Allowance
    * Existing Jobseeker’s Allowance claimants who are assessed at the higher rate of allowance, get work but lose that job and is back on Jobseeker’s Allowance within 12 months
    * People under 25 participating in a course of education, training or Community Employment. (However, when the course ends you will return to an age-related JA payment, if you were getting one before you started the course.)
    * People who were at least 20 years of age on 30 December 2009 and became unemployed on or before 30 December 2009
    * People who were 18 or 19 on 30 December 2009 and became unemployed on or before 29 April 2009
    * People aged 22 to 24 who are taking part in the Work Placement Programme run by FÁS

Certain children in the care of the HSE during the 12 months before reaching 18 years of age are also be assessed using the JA rate for people aged 25 or over.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

The exceptions are quite broad when you consider that those who were working will generally have had an entitlement to Jobseekers Benefit and therefore won't have the lower rate applied when they transfer to Jobseekers Allowance, and those who are 20/21 or over and haven't worked will likely qualify for one of the other exemptions.

Of course there are plenty of people who fall in between these categories, but its worth your while looking closely at the exemptions to see if any of them apply, the Department often miss that they apply and give the wrong rate.

Advertisement