Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lighting Circuits on RCD/ELCB

Options
  • 19-11-2011 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

I'm a bit confused about this and wanted to hear some feedback here.

Ive been told by some electricians that the lighting circuits in a house shouldn't be on the RCD/ELCB as if a socket trips it. It will leave the owner in the dark which would a health and safety hazard if at night and that people dont make contact with the light fittings so they don't need to be on an RCD/ELCB but others have said everything should be wire through the RCD/ELCB.

What the offcial word on this can anyone tell me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

new regs state that bathroom light circuits should be rcd protected
    also light fittings not directly attached to the house(ie driveway or garden lights)
    they should have their own rcd(not on socket one)
    sometimes an rcbo may be preferable

motivatorhunter.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

meercat wrote: »
    also light fittings not directly attached to the house(ie driveway or garden lights)

motivatorhunter.jpg

I laughed at this:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 pyromania

does external wall lights need to be feed from a rcbo if they can be touched by hand..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

pyromania wrote: »
    does external wall lights need to be feed from a rcbo if they can be touched by hand..

not specifically,if they are attached to the building
    im sure they are ip rated and fully enclosed with no access to bulb or connections
    it would be no harm to have rcbo protection on outside lights though(im sure we are heading this way at some stage)

I agree with meercat. Outside lights will likely be in the rules at some stage.

I put them on one anyway, sometimes spurring from the sockets, with a double pole spur setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

meercat wrote: »

motivatorhunter.jpg

Brilliant Meercat,I like it...:D:D Its nice to see a bit of humour in the middle of serious stuff too:)

paddymick wrote: »
    Brilliant Meercat,I like it...:D:D Its nice to see a bit of humour in the middle of serious stuff too:)

This forum has nothing but jokers on it:D

robbie7730 wrote: »
    This forum has nothing but jokers on it:D
    Ah sure this is a dead thread anyway and it would be ashame to let it go to waste!!
    Actually there should be a Sticky "cool down"thread in here for when things do start getting heatedsmile.gif

Ah sure this is a dead thread anyway and it would be ashame to let it go to waste!!
    Actually there should be a Sticky "cool down"thread in here for when things do start getting heatedsmile.gif

No, il always be wrong then, and 2011 will always be right, im sick of it i tell ye...........damn the cool down

Woops I thaught this was the light switch thread.Let the competition continue......

• Advertisement

Woops I thaught this was the light switch thread.Let the competition continue......

Thats mad, thats exactly what i thought. Jumping between both of them.

Advertisement