Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATI hd6950 2gb or Nvidia 560ti 2gb?

Options
  • 19-11-2011 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hi all.

Im looking at upgrading my pc at long last but im unsure which of the above to choose from, the "sapphire 6950 2gb dirt edition" or the "msi 560ti 2gb twin frozor".

My current specs are:
    Intel q6600 at stock speed and akasa ak965 cooler
    XFX n650i ultra motherboard
    4gb ddr2 ocz ram
    windows xp sp3
    POV 8800gts 512mb
    Samsung 20" monitor (1600x900)

Ill be changing to windows 7 64 bit during christmas hopefully and im looking at upgrading to a card that will last me a good while into the future.

Now i had my mind made up on the 6950 but then i read a post somewhere and somebody mentioned their q6600 wouldnt be able to handle physx. As I mainly play FPS like call of duty, crysis etc is gpu integrated physx support important with my current cpu or will it handle it if i get the ati?

Thanks,
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

just going off newegg and tomshardware, they are priced almost identically and tiered almost identially by THWs monthly GPU/Value chart. The Tech Specs seem, I wouldn't necessarily go off the tech specs. The 560 is clocked much higher but the 6950 has many, many more cores. I wager they'd perform quite similarly. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3067-7.html

But am I right?

According to Futuremark, they are both among the best GPUs available. The 6950 is 8th on the market, the 560Ti is 11th, scoring 22078 and 18531 respectively. http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu-list/

6950 (on newegg, us) even appears to be $10 cheaper. The 6950 is your winner, imo.

PhysX is a complete load of crap. Don't give it a second thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

here is a good bench comparison

they mostly trade blows, but the 6950 is a little better.

Where are you getting them and whats your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭son-of-plunder

well i had decided on the 6950 untill i remembered physx, like i dont want to upgrade my gfx card and then find out my cpu isnt up to the job. i priced the 6950 from dabs for 240 and free delivery, the only place i could find a 560ti 2gb was in england and it was about 240 sterling for the msi twin frozr version. i know i could get it cheaper from the US probably but i dont want the hassle with customs etc

I ran furmark on my current gpu and it averaged 13fps i think and temps of 70ish degrees so i think its time i put it out of it misery :P

Edit: I more than likely wont be changing until nearer.after xmas, so is there any other card releases on the horizon to consider? top of my budget ould be roughly 260ish i reckon.

thanks for the replies lads,
    Paul

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

well i had decided on the 6950 untill i remembered physx, like i dont want to upgrade my gfx card and then find out my cpu isnt up to the job. i priced the 6950 from dabs for 240 and free delivery, the only place i could find a 560ti 2gb was in england and it was about 240 sterling for the msi twin frozr version. i know i could get it cheaper from the US probably but i dont want the hassle with customs etc

I ran furmark on my current gpu and it averaged 13fps i think and temps of 70ish degrees so i think its time i put it out of it misery :P

Edit: I more than likely wont be changing until nearer.after xmas, so is there any other card releases on the horizon to consider? top of my budget ould be roughly 260ish i reckon.

thanks for the replies lads,
    Paul

AMD 7000 series is due just after Christmas, probably worth waiting for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Considering how close the two cards are Id go for the Nvidia. Just for having less hassle with drivers for new games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭son-of-plunder

Thanks for your replies. Im going to buy the his hd6950 from OCuk, the deciding factor between that and the msi 560ti was the fact the 6950 is bundled with 3 games (2 i was interested in getting anyway :P ) for £15 more. Placing my order tomorow for that and crysis2, probably not the best idea when i should be studying but feck it, you only live once :D

Paul

Advertisement