Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silly/dumb things that customer say/do.

• 19-11-2011 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

This is only a bit of craic for those who work with the public.
    what is dumbest/annoying thing that customers say/do!

I start it off!
    "Do you work here" while you are in full uniform packing shelves/sitting on a checkout. :rolleyes:

"Are you open" while you are sitting on a till serving a queue of customers.

"are you open/closed" while you have the barrier pulled across the aisle, closed sign on the belt and are cashing up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I once had a customer give out to me about the lack of service.

I then had to tell him I did not work there, which was the truth.
    His face went a charming shade of red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Do you speak English?

In Ireland............

WTF language did they think I spoke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Do you work here - some places have their staff just wear formal clothes. Alternatively, your name tag or whatever might not be visible.

Are you open - maybe there's a queue of people, but you're sitting there chatting with another worker/on the phone? I've seen this happen far too many times.

Are you open/closed - If they have a heavy basket and the only clearly open aisle is at the other end of the shop, maybe they're hoping you'll be a good samaritan and reopen for them.

It's always nice to give people the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Working for the customer servide dept of a shipping company in atrocious force 10 gale weather when a sailing was cancelled. Cue irate customer who told me that if her shipmewnt was not on the other side of the Irish sea in 8 hours, we were going to be sued. Me personally, too, if I remember correctly. "May I remind you," says she, "that your nearest competitor is bearly fifty yeards down the f****** road!"

...where, of course, she assumed a force 10 gale wouldn't be blowing...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I worked for a music retailer and was wearing the company top with the logo plastered all over it, and was carrying a crate of CDs and putting them on display when I was asked did I work there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Rude bollix comes in screaming making demands, I tell him calm down, he does not calm down so I tell him get the fcuk out, he rages I know the owner and ill be telling him about you, walks out and slams door.

Gob****e, I am the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

asking where something is (without asking if you work there) when you're doing your shopping, wearing a jacket, denim jeans, and runners.

Fbjm wrote: »
    Do you work here - some places have their staff just wear formal clothes. Alternatively, your name tag or whatever might not be visible.
    The OP said full uniform and at a till or stacking shelves.
    Are you open - maybe there's a queue of people, but you're sitting there chatting with another worker/on the phone? I've seen this happen far too many times.
    I've never seen it. The OP was referring to the are you open? question. Obviously the till is open if there's a queue.
    And if you want someone to reopen their till (which they may not be able to do) you're hardly going to broach that by asking are they open or closed when they're clearly closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

"Why are you putting me in this underground sex dungeon":rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Wasn't at a Best Buy by any chance?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

"I can't be bothered reading the terms and conditions" - well then your complaint is null and void. :rolleyes:

"Shur ye should have known I changed my email/phone number/address/bank details" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

you don't sound or look irish what would you know :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

There was a recurring one when I worked on Broadband support. I couldn't fathom why customers couldn't accept that hardware faults happened outside every ones control from time to time. You have no idea the amount of retards that crash into telephone poles and exchange boxes affecting service.

We would explain that Joe Soap crashed his tractor into the pole outside the house and an engineer would have to be dispatched. 'but I need my broadband!!!' would be the reply. I used to feel like saying 'OH REALLY...well why didn't you say? There is no tractor there was no accident we just decided to turn off your broadband to piss you off because we just LOVE dealing with irate a$$holes like you. Wait on the line while I go to a switch on the wall with your name on it and we'll have you back up and running in no time!'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

When I worked in a sports store we'd lace up the shoes to try on, gave it to the customer (right shoe), looks down at his feet blankly, looks at the shoe, looks at feet...wiggles toes..."That's your right foot" I said and pointed it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Arktura

got asked one day if we accepted dollars,
    em, you're in Dublin not America lady.

Another America,

"Why are you're clothes so small here"
    I had to walk away from that one cos her husband came out of the dressing room with a cycling jersey welded onto him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Dudess wrote: »
    I worked for a music retailer and was wearing the company top with the logo plastered all over it, and was carrying a crate of CDs and putting them on display when I was asked did I work there.

It's not always simple to identify employees of a supermarket for example. Many times when I asked a question of someone bearing a nametag and clipboard who was doing something with the stock and who looked like an employee of the supermarket I found they couldn't help me as they worked for whichever company had stock on the shelves instead. I am not sure how the roles are specifically divided up but they are not always ducks even though they might quack like a duck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

There's a really long thread in the Ranting and Raving forum like this. I started it and it is my favorite child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The biggest thing has to be people that start screaming at you as if you've just invented store policy right that second just to wreck their heads, and as if you have the power to totally ignore policy and do whatever they want- because who cares about getting fired.

Today what annoyed me was one customer who paid €16 in 2cents, and two others who wanted to try on tights and underwear and who did not take kindly to being told to GTFO (in my head).

If you go to the Feedback forum, there's a thread where you can request access to the Ranting and Raving forum. Definitely worth doing for the cries of retail thread alone..it's over 1000 pages and will make you lose all faith in humanity. Brilliant read though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Happened to one of the lads in work a few weeks back. We have a weighing machine in work that does BMI and all that craic. A girl asked for help using it so the lad obliged. You must answer some questions to get an accurate BMI....on the second one she paused and looked blankly at the screen. She then asked "which one do I push?" ......he said "female"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

I deliver to pubs, some people would be so lazy wanting you to put the stuff away in the storerooms and rotate their stock for them. Feel like asking if they want me to fcuking sell it for them too.

• Advertisement

psychward wrote: »

It's not always simple to identify employees of a supermarket for example. Many times when I asked a question of someone bearing a nametag and clipboard who was doing something with the stock and who looked like an employee of the supermarket I found they couldn't help me as they worked for whichever company had stock on the shelves instead. I am not sure how the roles are specifically divided up but they are not always ducks even though they might quack like a duck.
    I'd agree but it's not relevant to my incident, seeing as my top had the company logo in several places - across the back, on the front, and down the sleeves.

It's just extreme neediness to ask that question in those situations, not even stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

"Do you have any more of these"

"Definitely not, sorry, that's the last one"

"Well can you ask somebody else?"

"I ordered them, displayed them, sold them, and I know for sure that we don't have any more"

"Oh right, can you just check with someone else though"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Are you open/closed - If they have a heavy basket and the only clearly open aisle is at the other end of the shop, maybe they're hoping you'll be a good samaritan and reopen for them.

And maybe they should **** off to the open till and leave me in peace!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I worked in a particular restaurant that had those American-style booths (not Eddie Rockets... Shoot me if I ever do!). They were very popular, obviously.

Packed, busy restaurant with a queue out the door. You could clearly see the whole place. Customers at the top of the que with screaming kids would always ask, "Is there a booth free?"

Yes, it's just invisible...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

*customer rings where I work*

automated voice: "hi and welcome to a company that isnt called eircom, please choose an option to be put through to an agent who doesnt work for a company called eircom. remember to log onto noteircom.ie to check your account that isnt eircom.

me: "company that isnt eircom customer care, krudler speaking, how can I help you?"
    customer "is this eircom?"
    me: *slams head off desk*

serisouly people, if you ring a call centre for a company and hear messages relating to ANOTHER company, you're clearly onto the wrong place, you dont ring sky and sit through announcment for upc for 5 minutes and still expect to be on to sky do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Once asked a taxi driver if he was busy...one of the most stupid things I ever did...f*cker never shut up for the rest of the journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Working for the customer servide dept of a shipping company in atrocious force 10 gale weather when a sailing was cancelled. Cue irate customer who told me that if her shipmewnt was not on the other side of the Irish sea in 8 hours, we were going to be sued. Me personally, too, if I remember correctly. "May I remind you," says she, "that your nearest competitor is bearly fifty yeards down the f****** road!"

...where, of course, she assumed a force 10 gale wouldn't be blowing...?

Sounds very similar to my story. My mother used to work in Argos. One Christmas several sailings from the UK were cancelled so stock didn't arrive until very late/not at all. Lots of irate customers buying stuff last minute as it arrived, but it wasn't just that shop, many shops didn't have certain toys etc. Anyway, 6pm Christmas Eve the store manager is locking up, when a man starts banging on the door demanding to be let in, wants to buy some must have toy for his son. Manager wouldn't let him in, said her staff deserved to go home too. Man starts giving her loads of abuse about how his son wouldn't have any toys for Christmas and it was her fault to which she replied 'If you thought more of your son, you would have bought his toys before now and not at 6pm on Christmas Eve'.

Fair fcuks to her, need more people to tell it like it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I arrived at house one day in my van that had electrician/electrical contractor,rewires,etc etc all over written all over it ,was met by a very irate woman who asked me was I the painter ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭happyfish

I used to work as a receptionist in a health centre. 18 year old me wearing jeans and a cardigan , standing in the reception at the printer, got asked if I was the doctor :D
    Also regularly got asked medical advice by people who were too cheap to see the doctor .Because 18 year olds who answer phones for a living are a mine of medical knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

mattjack wrote: »
    I arrived at house one day in my van that had electrician/electrical contractor,rewires,etc etc all over written all over it ,was met by a very irate woman who asked me was I the painter ?

Seen a van in Cork with the electrical contractor logos on it and in print

BURGLER ALARMS

Not relevant to this thread but the above post reminded me of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

asking where something is (without asking if you work there) when you're doing your shopping, wearing a jacket, denim jeans, and runners.

Haha - I love doing that, normally people do try to help you with very confused looks on their face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭Shellygoose

I used to work in a callcentre. Lost track of the amount of times this happened..

Me: How would you like to pay? We accept Visa, Mastercard or Laser.
    Caller: Can I pay in cash?
    Me: No Sir, its impossible to pay with cash over the phone!!
    Caller: Oh right, ya I suppose it is. Mmm what do I do now?

Mmm go f**K a duck for all I care - you've just wasted 10 mins of my life that I will never get back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Actually yeah, being asked if you work here when you're in a lovely Dunnes workshirt, with a pricegun in hand opening boxes of stock is fairly fecking annoying. Not the first time, but eventually over time you start screaming in your head 'do you really think I'd wear this godawful shirt because I like it????'

Stupidity wise I can't think of anything that beats the person eyeing up the BOGOF offer on boxes of choclates and actually asking if they could just have 'the free one' because they didn't want two. On a more regular basis, people trying to get refunds on things they haven't got with them, or people presenting stuff for a refund that's from Penneys etc. and refusing to listen to reason. 'No love, I bought it here, I'm certain' and actually get pretty angry about it.

Ah ffs it's depressing there are people like that in existence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I get told the automated system kept asking them for their acc number DUH!!

Or those fudgepackers with no acc number.....whats your address sir?
    20 Yellow brick road.....silence.....yea what frickin county moron.

Why is my bill so high. Ive only a light on and the tv. :rolleyes:Yes cause you never wash yourself, your clothes, drying your clothes after.
    Or boil a kettle.....hmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

Customer calls into call centre , gives account number then explains how she is so angry that HER delivery is cancelled as SHE didn't provide necessary documents.

Customer: Im so angry, all i wanted is my service installed.
    Me: Unfortunately as the procedure was outlined to you 3 times already and you didnt provide necessary documents the order was cancelled.
    Customer: This is disgraceful - Do you know who i am??
    Me: Yes obviously, you gave me your account number.......
    Phone goes dead...................:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Ghandee wrote: »
    Do you speak English?

In Ireland............

WTF language did they think I spoke?

Brón orm, ní thigim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I used to be a piercer and you did used to get a fair few oddballs in the door. One guy I remember who id pierced previously so knew to be a bit special came in

'um.....hair dye?'
    'eh no sorry, we dont sell hair dye, we do piercing. i think theres a shop around the corner that sells it'
    'no i have some here i just need someone to put it in for me'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

Quite a frequent on:

Whilst putting down the shutter - "Oh, are ya closed?"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Rude bollix comes in screaming making demands, I tell him calm down, he does not calm down so I tell him get the fcuk out, he rages I know the owner and ill be telling him about you, walks out and slams door.

Gob****e, I am the owner.

Class. I have an orange top that resembles the B&Q uniform. Some days I have been more helpful to their customers than their own staff.

Looking forward to the day I get someone like the idiot above.

Quite a frequent on:

I use to work in restaurants. People try to force the locked door open when we are cleaning up at the end of the night, while shouting drunkingly any buurrgeeeerrrrrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

"I WOULD NEVER DREAM OF PAYING THIS MUCH FOR COSMETICS!"

She says as she is shoving her laser into the chip and pin, what a fcuking knob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭ThelotusKid

Dudess has a day job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Many gems here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

Customer I didnt get any call regarding my delivery......
    Me Ok well il check the number we have for you. The number we have is 08........
    CustomerThat number is gone with nearly 12 years now....
    Me Did you call us and notify us of your change in contact information?
    Customer No that is your job to do that!!!

Yes because we're going to ring you every day just to make sure your on the same number....................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Well, what I've gathered from this thread is that people in call center's are very unhappy people :pac: Why do you let these things get to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Quite a frequent on:

I can go one worse! Pulled down the shutter at work last week at the end of the day and went out the back to clock out etc. so there was no one in the shop.

Heard the shutter opening up and went out to see what was going on. A lady had actually pulled up the shutter and was standing in the door shouting for service...

The only thing I've learned in my current job is that the majority of people are thick as shit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Works both ways.
    I went into a new business some years ago as I wanted to try and sell the owner a new product. As it turns out there were a group of men talking at the back of the business. I asked the young sales assistant who the boss was. He told me it was his father and that he was one of the men talking down at the back. He said his father was the grey-haired man. Not knowing the man's name I asked the young lad "what do you call him" and he replied "daddy".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Sashiee

I work in a call centre and do not like being shouted at with "where me bleedin' credit's gone yee robbin b*stards!!"
    While the guy is on the TOILET!

Can clearly hear him taking a dump!
    Just said "Don't forget to wash your hands!"
    and hung up .....weirdos out there......

Or Worse, Sunday I had an irate English man on the phone calling me "a stupid potato woman"
    and that the company is going down the drain because of people like me.
    He could'nt grasp the concept that a stolen laptop from a college library is NOT COVERED UNDER CAR INSURANCE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Ah, takes me back to the waitressing days.

Silly customers ask for the bill and at the same time do a writing motion with their hand. Only one of these is necessary, we got you the first time champ.

• Advertisement
Advertisement