Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silly/dumb things that customer say/do.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

An Ex of mine worked in B&Q till about mid 2008, I didn't drive at the time so I used to stick around for the hour till she clocked out

seen some crazy stuff waiting around for her:

- Kids playing with loose cement while the parents looked at fireplaces, the one time I confronted a woman over it she got very defensive about it

- People poking fingers through bags of sand or the ready mix stuff and taking the bag next to it,

- Unrolling loft insulation and leaving it all over the floor

The worse ones:

- Seen a woman come out of a display shed with her baby, had a look inside and seen the used nappy curled up on the floor

- Apparently it wasn't uncommon for people to test drive the display toilets either

- I was picking up the ex's younger sister one evening about 2 years ago,
    walked into the shop and seen a couple go nuts when it was pointed out that the tool they were trying to get a refund on
    wouldn't scan and still had an argos 7 digit sticker on it which even I could see 10 feet away

they probably bought it over there for cheaper and wanted to make some profit :)

It was a fascinating place just to observe people, if kids acted in Smiths the way parents do in there they'd be humiliated

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Arktura

I used to work in a hardware shop and the amount of people trying to get a discount was unbelievable. It was a shop and the price of items was the price a customer was supposed to pay. It wasn't a jumble sale where you could haggle.

Then there was the complaints about how a can of paint or a hammer was cheaper somewhere else. Either piss off to that shop then or complain to the manager. I only worked there, I didn't decide on the prices.

had a guy one day go crazy at me cos the batteries he needed costed €14 (he needed 4)
    started ranting about how ridiculous it was that he needed that many and then asked me for a discount.
    I felt like asking him if he was tight for cash or just plain tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Kmc123

Used to work as a lifeguard and had one fella come in to the pool asking me to get rid of his hangover, he said if i cured it he would race me up and down the pool!! I wasnt a genie!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

Working in Woodies this lady asked me to get a mirror for her. Went to the back stores and cut open a box to see if it was the correct one. Always slice away from your body. I didnt and ended up slicing my hand open.

Im walking through the shop to get some first aid. Blood is pouring out of my hand and im leaving a trail behind me. The lady comes up to me, looks at my hand covered in blood and asks "Well are you going to get that mirror for me or what?" I just raised my hand to her face with the blood dripping. She goes "A ffs" and storms off. Still have the scar. Chicks dig scars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭source

Full.Duck wrote: »
    Chicks dig scars.

Not chicks looking for mirrors apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

This is a true story from the WordPerfect Helpline, which was transcribed from a recording monitoring the customer care department. Needless to say the Help Desk employee was fired.

Actual dialogue of a former WordPerfect Customer Support employee:

Operator:        ‘Ridge Hall, computer assistance; may I help you?’

Caller:               ‘Yes, well, I’m having trouble with WordPerfect.’

Operator:        ‘What sort of trouble?’

Caller:               ‘Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away.’

Operator:        ‘Went away?’

Caller:               ‘They disappeared’

Operator:        ‘Hmm. So what does your screen look like now?’

Caller:               ‘Nothing.’

Operator:        ‘Nothing?’

Caller:               ‘It’s blank; it won’t accept anything when I type.’

Operator:        ‘Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out?’

Caller:               ‘How do I tell?’

Operator:        ‘Can you see the ‘C: prompt’ on the screen?’

Caller:               ‘What’s a sea-prompt?’

Operator:        ‘Never mind, can you move your cursor around the screen?’

Caller:               ‘There isn’t any cursor; I told you, it won’t accept anything I type.’

Operator:        ‘Does your monitor have a power indicator??’

Caller:               ‘What’s a monitor?’

Operator:        ‘It’s the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV. Does it have a little light that tells you when it’s on?’

Caller:               ‘I don’t know.’

Operator:        ‘Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that?’

Caller:               ‘Yes, I think so.’

Operator:        ‘Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it’s plugged into the wall.’

Caller:               ‘Yes, it is.’

Operator:        ‘When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one? ‘

Caller:               ‘No.’

Operator:        ‘Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable.’

Caller:               ‘Okay, here it is.’

Operator:        ‘Follow it for me, and tell me if it’s plugged securely into the back of your computer.’

Caller:               ‘I can’t reach.’

Operator:        ‘OK. Well, can you see if it is?’

Caller:               ‘No.’

Operator:        ‘Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over?’

Caller:               ‘Well, it’s not because I don’t have the right angle – it’s because it’s dark.’

Operator:        ‘Dark?’

Caller:               ‘Yes – the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window.’

Operator:        ‘Well, turn on the office light then.’

Caller:               ‘I can’t.’

Operator:        ‘No? Why not?’

Caller:               ‘Because there’s a power failure.’

Operator:        ‘A power … A power failure? Aha. Okay, we’ve got it licked now. Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff that your computer came in?’

Caller:               ‘Well, yes, I keep them in the closet.’

Operator:        ‘Good. Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from.’

Caller:               ‘Really? Is it that bad?’

Operator:        ‘Yes, I’m afraid it is.’

Caller:               ‘Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them?’

Operator:        ‘Tell them you’re too stupid to own a computer!’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I worked in Superquinn for years and and EVERY day I would have several customers take out their shopping bags to pack their shopping and go "oh, I should hide these from you cos they're from Dunnes/ Tesco/ Aldi/ wherever" as if I gave a sh!t where their bags were from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Work in a call centre, at the end of the call have to ask if theres anything else I can help them with.....
    cue joke about lotto numbers or me paying their bill.

oh hahahahaha cause I havent already heard that 10 times today

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

Oh god. All the repressed memories.

I don't get many in my job because we deal with the same people all the time, but one is "So that's reception@xxxxxandcompany.ie. Is there any spaces or capitals in that?" I wouldn't mind but these are all people who work with emails in a business setting on a daily basis.

I, however, used to work in Dunnes, bitterness toward which remains after years. I was not meant to work with customer service.

"I came over because you looked bored." I looked relieved because it's the first break in customers I've had all day.

"Is it not scanning? It must be free, so." I'm aware some supermarkets have that rule but Dunnes don't and never have. We hear this five or six times a day and one out of the six will get seriously riled up about it, the other five will be joking. It's not funny. It really isn't.

No, we won't accept Tesco / Superquinn / Supervalu clubcards.

No, I can't sell you two boxes of paracetamol. Because the till stops me. Because it's against the law. Yes, I could scan it as two seperate transactions, but that's against the rules and the law. You'll go fifteen steps over to the pharmacy and they'll sell you two boxes? Good luck with that.

No, I can't sell you drink without ID. OH I SEE, YOU'RE 19. That makes it all better. Now I can. Hah, no. Go get your ID. In a few years time you'll take it as a compliment.

Fantastic, you have ID. Does your friend have ID? Yeah, the now very worried looking friend who definitely does not look 18. BUT IT'S NOT FOR HER? Oh noes.

Your ambiguously teenage looking son is at the top of the queue without ID and with a crate of miller and you reach around him and say, "ah, sure, it's grand, I'm buying it." Awww. You're a cool mam. You're not leaving the shop with that drink though.

They'll sell it to you at some other checkout?

No they won't, because now I have to tell security. You see, if security sees me selling any of the four of you alcohol, I will lose my job, no questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jopari87

Didn't happen to me, but to a colleague who sat beside me.

A man rang up saying his cd drive was not working.
    My colleague spent around 5 minutes troubleshooting and still not fixed.
    Eventually the guy asked why the cd drive is round when cds are square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Working in a computer repair shop with she shop name over the shop followed by pc and laptop repairs in big letters. Then PC & Laptop repair from €** all over the shop on big posters. Written on the doors, on the counter and behind the counter too. But still all day people come in "do you fix computers?".

Then thers the people that come in, do you fix tvs, cookers, fridges, washing machines or whatever, i say no we dont sorry, half them say, why not? your a repair shop arent you.

A few times a customer asks to speak to the manager, I say but im am the manager, and I always got "but your too young to be a manager" and then it turns into a big arguement over weather I am not on, my badge and polo shirt say i am, and all the other staff say I am, but everyone thinks im making it up for a joke.

Some people come in asking "can i speak to someone more senior" "can i speak to someone older" "can i speak to someone that fixes computers" and then get offended or thing im being cheeky when i say i do.

So of my collegues had a fair amount of abuse given to them by customers over the years for asking me for help with things.

Had a lot of agest comments and things like that over the years. But to be fair I got a lot of very nice comments to about being able to do all i can at such a young age ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭mayobumblebee

oh reading all this could make ya feel better having to work with people oh the stuff i get asked.

do ya work here?
    yes see ive got the uniform with the place name in large letters all over me.

customer = is this the right refill for my item at home ?
    me= do you know which one do you have what size is it?
    customer = emmmm i dont know sure how do ya not know which one it is jasus dont ya work here?
    me= well yes but i dont know which one you bought there are differnt types perhaps bring the empty in next time :confused:
    to which customer storms off
    grrrrr:mad: feck off so

keep getting asked really stupid questions some of which have been

do you have the parts for this to which i do some head scratching and then ask= sorry did you buy that here
    ans= no bought it in xx
    well you will have to try there then im afraid we dont do that brand :confused:

once had to explain in detail why a plastic container full of very large holes was not the best choice for use as a fish bowl

and then the joy of being in a multi shop store
    can you get me such and such i cant see anyone in there?
    sorry cant help you?
    sure can ya not come down for a minute and give me a hand
    why no im afraid i cant help you down there where they sell different stuff no i cant just come down there and help ive had no training because its a different shop see.
    oh the joys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I was working in a newsagent and a little old woman, probably in her eighties, came to the till with a Galaxy Caramel bar.

"That's 80 cents please." I say.

"Let me see if I..."
    She reaches into her purse and very slowly counts her change.
    She has about 20 cents.

"Is that enough?" she asks.

"I'm sorry, it's not. Do you have any more change?" I ask in the nicest possible way.

"No." she says. "Let me see if I brought my card..."

She rummages in her purse once more, and produces a Tesco Clubcard.

"Can I use this?"

"No, I'm sorry..."

She rummages once more, and then presents me with her Interflora loyalty card.

"Can I use this?"

"Eh, no, sorry..."

She looks puzzled for a moment and then asks how much it costs.

"80 cents." I reply.

She says...

"Let me see if I..."
    She reaches into her purse and very slowly counts her change.
    She has about 20 cents.

"Is that enough?" she asks.

"I'm sorry, it's not. Do you have any more change?" I ask in the nicest possible way.

"No." she says. "Let me see if I brought my card..."

She rummages in her purse once more, and produces a Tesco Clubcard.

"Can I use this?"

"No, I'm sorry..."

She rummages once more, and then presents me with her Interflora loyalty card.

"Can I use this?"

"Eh, no, sorry..."

She looks puzzled for a moment and then asks how much it costs.

"80 cents." I reply.

She says...

"Oh, I'd better just leave it so." and toddles off.

Maybe I should have just given it to her, in retrospect, (the manager was very picky about the till being short though) and she definitely wasn't the full shilling, but the fear I got that we were going to go through the whole process for a third time was only matched in intensity by the relief I felt when she decided not to bother buying the bar.

Another time when working in a school bookshop/stationers' a woman bought three packs of writing paper for €4.50 in total.
    She asked with a smile if she could get a discount for buying all three packs that were on the shelf (three was about all that fit in their space on the shelf).

Assuming she was joking, I laughed and said I couldn't give her a discount for such a small amount (in terms of both money and quantity of items).

Her face dropped in a second and she said "Oh..." and I said "There's lots more in the back, so it's not the last of the stock. Sorry." having no idea if this was true or not.

In the same shop, an older woman came in and asked quite brusquely for a felt tip pen, or "marker" as they're more commonly known.

We had a wide variety so I brought her over to the stand with all of the felt tip pens (or "markers") and pointed a common one out to her.

"No, that's a marker." she says. "FELT. TIP. PEN!"

"Eh, I think they're the same..." I reply, and am met with the response of...

"FELT. TIP. PEN!"

I pause a moment in bafflement and pondering whether to continue arguing.
    Instead I show her a marker that looks more like a pen than the previous one, hoping that that will satisfy her.

Her response to my suggestion: "FELT. TIP. PEN!"

Another pause.

I show her the most pen-like marker we have, to which she says simply...

"FELT. TIP. PEN!"

I now feel that some decisive point has been reached, and say "Sorry, we don't have any so."

She turns and quickly leaves without a word.

Also in the same shop, a rude woman and her son of about seven or eight come up to the till with a variety of stationery. After they've been rung through, she hands over a €10 book voucher to pay for them.

"I'm sorry," the girl on the till says, "I can't accept that. You can only buy books with that."

"But aren't ye a bookshop!?"

"Yes, but the voucher can only be used for books, not stationery. It says here..." indicating on the voucher where that's stated.

"But he won it in a poetry competition (or maybe some other competition) in school! Can I not get these!?" indicating the stationery in her hand.

"No, I'm sorry, but we don't only have schoolbooks, there's lots of nice storybooks and picturebooks for different ages..."

"But I want these! He won it in school! Can ye not take it!?"

"I'm sorry, only for books, but..."

The woman bangs the stuff down on the counter and storms off.
    The poor kid: she never even considered buying a book for a second...

Also in that shop we had an outrageous number of rubbers chewed and display stands knocked over by kids as parents looked blissfully on, and haughty mothers (classic Celtic Tiger upwardly mobile types) swanning into the shop five minutes before closing expecting a full booklist to be filled, and all the books covered.

On the plus side, I also had many great experiences working in another big, busy bookshop where people would come in looking for something. I'd do my best to help them (being quite conscientious I'd exhaust every possible avenue, especially if the customer was pleasant), but if we didn't have it I'd just have to apologise, explain we didn't have it and offer to order it.

Quite a few people would go out of their way to express their gratitude at my attempts to help, and be very nice and not get annoyed that we didn't have what they wanted. Those experiences really make your day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

I work in a small Tesco store.
    I cannot shop there on my day off as regulars have no problem stopping me while i'm in my normal clothes and pushing my own trolley around.

I had a woman abuse me because we moved the cheese. The cheeses have been in the same section for 3 years. She insisted they were in a different place last weekr.

I do the reductions. I would need my own bloody thread for what goes on day to day with that alone!

Why can't people say please and thank you??

Got called racist for charging a lady for a plastic bag. Told her she was the racist as she brought colour into it, I was only doing my job. Refused to serve her.

Had a woman today give out that X was on offer in another store and not in ours. I explained that some offers varied from store to store. She told me I was wrong because Y was on offer in the two stores.

Sure what would I know I only work here for the last 3.5 years.

If anyone else says 'every little helps' I will not be held responsible for my actions (who am i kidding, it'll happen in the morning!)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

"Will this kettle boil water" thats one I got one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

Forgot the best one.
    A lady came up to a girl I work with holding a packet of mince pies last Xmas
    "Do you have these in chicken?".
    "Eh....no"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

Oh forgot this one. An american girl walks up to me while im fluting around at reception. "Eh excuse me, do you know where the nearest ATM is? Apparently they don't take dollars around here"

I honestly did not know what to say. I took me a good ten seconds to register what she had just said before i sent her on her merry way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

One of my mates makes a living giving free-diving courses in Sligo where we're based but also travels Cork, Galway and very often up in the National Aquatic Center.
    He has the name of his business writ large on either side of his Transit van.

FREEDIVEIRELAND.IE

He is constantly being stopped by members of the general public to explain his business to them. This, he is more than happy to do so 'cept so many of them all ask about the deliveries.

Deliveries?

Yes, you do Free Deliveries don't you?

Ahh, No!

But why are you called FREEDELIVERIESIRELAND.IE then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Years ago while working in Woolworths (yes, that long ago) a customer came up to me and asked for a wall clock.
    Smug me: Certainly sir - would you like Roman or Arabic numerals?
    Customer: No, English numbers.
    Smug me: I'm sorry sir, we are all out of imaginary clocks.

2 mins later the manager was chewing my face off for making fun of customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭HenryChinaski

Used to work in a newsagents back in the day. One day I had this auld culchie wan ****ting on at me for about 10 minutes looking for Ferrari Roaches. Eventually I realized she was looking for Ferrero Rocher!!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gravityisalie

sarahbro wrote: »
    I do the reductions. I would need my own bloody thread for what goes on day to day with that alone!

QUOTE]

Please please dont leave me hanging , i need to know !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

When I was working in Smyths toys, I remember one Saturday before Christmas when 3 different people left behind their credit cards in the space of an hour.

stoneill wrote: »
    Years ago while working in Woolworths (yes, that long ago) a customer came up to me and asked for a wall clock.

As he should have, I'd never tolerate an employee being so rude to customers with no reason.

The customer obviously meant he wanted Arabic numerals (how many people know them by that in reality!? Most just call them ordinary numbers.)

You knew that but chose to be completely rude to the customer as you found an opportunity to make yourself look/feel superior.

Your ambiguously teenage looking son is at the top of the queue without ID and with a crate of miller and you reach around him and say, "ah, sure, it's grand, I'm buying it." Awww. You're a cool mam. You're not leaving the shop with that drink though.
    :confused::confused:
    Parents can buy drink for their children
    what does it matter if they buy it themselves when they're over age?

In the same shop, an older woman came in and asked quite brusquely for a felt tip pen, or "marker" as they're more commonly known.
    felt tip pens have different tips afaik, they're a lot thinner

bluewolf wrote: »

felt tip pens have different tips afaik, they're a lot thinner

That's what I thought at the time. I had assumed they were the same but I thought this woman must mean something different from a regular marker, more like a pen, and that maybe I was wrong in my assumption. But I asked a colleague when they came back from lunch and they agreed they were the same thing.

Naturally I couldn't let this go and I remember googling it when I got home, and according to wikipedia they're the same.

I'm sure she did mean something more specific (or had assumed a felt tip pen was somehow different from a marker and didn't want to admit it) but she was still a b*tch.

• Advertisement

That's what I thought at the time. I had assumed they were the same but I thought this woman must mean something different from a regular marker, more like a pen, and that maybe I was wrong in my assumption. But I asked a colleague when they came back from lunch and they agreed they were the same thing.

Naturally I couldn't let this go and I remember googling it when I got home, and according to wikipedia they're the same.

I'm sure she did mean something more specific (or had assumed a felt tip pen was somehow different from a marker and didn't want to admit it) but she was still a b*tch.
    yeah she still acted badly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

bluewolf wrote: »
    :confused::confused:
    Parents can buy drink for their children
    what does it matter if they buy it themselves when they're over age?

Was thinking the same thing myself, once the person purchasing the booze is over the age limit I don't see what the problem is.

Burgo wrote: »
    Was thinking the same thing myself, once the person purchasing the booze is over the age limit I don't see what the problem is.
    It is an offence to buy alcohol for people under the age of 18. It is also an offence to give alcohol to anyone under the age of 18 unless in a domestic home and they have parental consent. If found guilty of any of these offences, you could be liable on summary conviction in a District Court to a class B fine for a first offence and a class A fine for a second or any subsequent offence.
    huh
    they can give it to the kid but not buy it for them?
    i suppose the shop could get in trouble
    still, they're a parent, they could be buying it for themselves easily enough, it's not like the two girls buying it where one is overage and one isnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Burgo wrote: »

Yeah but I think what the poster means is that if the child tried first and failed and mother then said she would buy it, that would be considered supplying alcohol to a minor, which is illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

stoneill wrote: »

If I was the customer I would have hauled you over to your manager to let him know what a smarmy smug little s***e was working for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Ledger wrote: »
    Yeah but I think what the poster means is that if the child tried first and failed and mother then said she would buy it, that would be considered supplying alcohol to a minor, which is illegal.

this. and unfortunately even though the parent can decide if they want to give drink to their child or not, the shop could still get in trouble. like the undercovers they send in will even do it that way - in a parent, child thing, and if the shop assistant sells to the 'parent' the shop gets done.

i know some shops that because of this WON'T sell someone alcohol if they have their children with them, even if they are buying it in their big weekly shop and the child is a baby in a buggy :confused: just to cover themselves they won't

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭orlyice

worked for 5 years in a newsagents/stationary shop when i was in school/college and two particular events stand out.

As you walk in the door there is a wall full of pens, pencils etc. one day a well known Irish musician walks in. walks over to the counter where I am trying to stay calm, I was always a big fan of his. he asks me "do ye sell pens?" I pointed out the big pen stand to him while trying not to laugh.

At 20 I was the weekend manager and one saturday morning I was working with a woman in her 50's. a regular customer came into the shop and asked me for an English newspaper that we usually stocked. i put the papers out that morning and knew this particular paper was missing, so i told her that it hadn't arrived in the delivery and apologized to her. she then went to my colleague and asked her the same question. my colleague called me over and asked me if this paper came in, in front of her. i turned around to her and politely told her again that it had been missing from the delivery. she turned to my colleague, who had only started working there 2 weeks before and said to her " i thought i would ask you because young ones dont usually know". and she left. at this stage I had been working there 4 years and she came into the shop every day to buy her papers so she knew I had been there years and my colleague was new. such ignorance.

I also worked in a call centre for a financial company. the amount of times people would ring up and want to discuss their spouse/partner/sister/parents loan is unbelievable. I would always ask if the person who's name is on the loan is there so I could get their permission to speak to them. 90% of the time they werent. I would politely explain how under data protection legislation I couldnt speak to them. I had all sorts of abuse thrown at me, as if it is my fault. yes, it is because of me that the legislation is in place and I now work in a Call centre!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    One of my mates makes a living giving free-diving courses in Sligo where we're based but also travels Cork, Galway and very often up in the National Aquatic Center.
    He has the name of his business writ large on either side of his Transit van.

FREEDIVEIRELAND.IE

He is constantly being stopped by members of the general public to explain his business to them. This, he is more than happy to do so 'cept so many of them all ask about the deliveries.

Deliveries?

Yes, you do Free Deliveries don't you?

Ahh, No!

But why are you called FREEDELIVERIESIRELAND.IE then?

So how does he make a living giving free diving courses???? I don't get it?

So how does he make a living giving free diving courses???? I don't get it?

Free-diving, not free diving...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-diving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I worked for a recruitment company a good few years ago and we sent a girl to a company as a temp as a secretary with the idea that if they liked her they would make her permanent. We got a letter from them at the end of the week saying that they wouldn't take her on full time as her secretarial skills werent the best and she had refused to work in the 'whorehouse'! :confused:

Now it turns out they meant warehouse but I just thought the cheek slagging off her secretarial skills! :D:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Mully_2011 wrote: »
    "Will this kettle boil water" thats one I got one day.

Got asked before do we sell those things that cook water.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭mayobumblebee

i think free diving is diving without all the tanks and gear so just you and your suit and a face mask to see but no tank and such i could be wrong but thats what i imagine:confused:

i once worked in a night club where the manager was younger than all the staff including myself. she was very young now but the abuse the poor girl got just because she was young and she was a great manager too.
    i remember one guy that came in to work for her, she was giving everyone there duties for the day and he just pipes up im not doing what you tell me im old enough to be your dad he was roaring at how a man he age was not to be told what to do by a child her demanded to see the manager even started smashing pint glasses on the floor as we were by the bar.

que all of us looking at each other and even the members of staff lit him for being such a tw*t. she was such a sound manager and they are hard to find

the amount of people who stand at a exit only door knocking to get in is astonding by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Another one from when I was working in a men's clothes store

Do you sell Levi's?

Sorry no.

Why the f**k not?

Because we're their competitor.

Ah for f**k sake - and storms out cursing me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Last night.

Me: "I'm very sorry but the show started 15 minutes ago, I can't let you in until the interval."
    Late Dope: "What!? The show starts at 8 o'clock!!!"
    Me: "No, I'm afraid the show started at 7:30."
    LD: "What!? No, it's 8 o'clock."
    Me: "7:30, I'm afraid."
    LD: "But how was I supposed to know?!"
    Me: "It says it on your ticket."
    LD: "But I just assuuuuuuumed it started at 8!"
    Me: "But... it says 7:30 on the ticket...."
    LD: "Yeah but I thought that meant 8 o'clock!"

*And in my head, I thought of every Picard facepalm I could and let her out the front door*

Another woman insisted that "the computer" told her it was 8 o'clock. Took me 4 attempts to get her to tell me that it was our official website that she had looked at. So I went online and printed off the timetable from our site and gave it to her. In response to which, she said "No! It says 8 o'clock on the computer!"

FMJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Ghandee wrote: »
    Do you speak English?

In Ireland............

WTF language did they think I spoke?

Better still. "Are you Irish?" or "oh your Irish". I think this comes from if your a certain age (mid 20s to mid 30s, in otherwords to old to still be in school or college) the assumption is that your either Forign or a bit slow. Or in the case of men theres also that you were too soft for a "real job"
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    I work in a deli counter in a supermarket. At least one person asks everyday "Were them chickens cooked today?" Even when we're just taking them out of the oven. Really annoying. There's a massive sign saying that the chickens must be consumed within 24 hours and can only be reheated once. The chickens would be like charcoal if they were left for more than 5hours in the hot bar!

"Are those chickens?" No theyre steak :rolleyes:

"Are they stuffed?" "no" "could you stuff them for me." "No".

"do you have product X?" "no" Turns around and asks the person next to you.
    Oh god. All the repressed memories.

I don't get many in my job because we deal with the same people all the time, but one is "So that's reception@xxxxxandcompany.ie. Is there any spaces or capitals in that?" I wouldn't mind but these are all people who work with emails in a business setting on a daily basis.

I, however, used to work in Dunnes, bitterness toward which remains after years. I was not meant to work with customer service.

"Is it not scanning? It must be free, so." I'm aware some supermarkets have that rule but Dunnes don't and never have. We hear this five or six times a day and one out of the six will get seriously riled up about it, the other five will be joking. It's not funny. It really isn't.

No, we won't accept Tesco / Superquinn / Supervalu clubcards.

No, I can't sell you two boxes of paracetamol. Because the till stops me. Because it's against the law. Yes, I could scan it as two seperate transactions, but that's against the rules and the law. You'll go fifteen steps

After 6 tears i know the feeling, I'm outta there come the summer one way or another. Along the same lines of the club card thing, customers getting pissed off that we dont take returns on products from other supermarkets. The pork recall a few christmas's ago we had stuff coming back from Tescos, Supervalu, Lidl, Aldi, Superquinn, Asda, Sainsburys, M&S and so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

Customer: "what time do you close at?"

me: "we're 24 hours"

Customer: "yeah but What time you close tonight?"

me: "we don't close, we're open 24 hours 7 days a week"

Customer "but what time do you close?"

me: 6 o' clock xmas eve!!

Customer walks off with confused look her face. (prop off to ask someone else)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

once had a customer complain to me that the potatoes were too expensive and that they were cheaper in tesco. had two things I wanted to say to her:
    1) I have nothing to do the prices of fecking spuds and
    2) feck off to tesco so if they're cheaper there and don't be annoying me!

Advertisement