Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unruly Gingerbread men!

Options
  • 19-11-2011 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Having trouble with my gingerbread men the recipes I've been using aren't much good ..and neither am I. Tbh not sure if I have the patience to try again but maybe on a day when I've more patience.

Anyone got a fool proof (and I mean reaaaaaly fool proof) recipe for gingerbread men?

If I ad any kind of raising agent in general to cookies of any kind they tend to spread too much, have chilled the dough and have done some non chilled..always happens to me. Some gingerbread men recipes involve adding other spices as well but I think it takes away from the gingery taste. I think I prefer golden syrup to molasses taste wise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

This is by far the best gingerbread recipe I've ever used, it's foolproof, I've made men, reindeer, ladies and even willies (hen night:p). It's tasty and just the right hardness. *ahem* :P

Roll it thin for cookies, roll it thicker for a gingerbread house.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4900/

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

I always use this recipe

http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=gingerbread-men

Sometimes, I need to add more golden syrup to make the dough actually hold together. (Also I leave out cinnamon and double up the ginger)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

This is a recipe that my friend got from her german granny- authentic! Its also pretty healthy to offset covering it with colourdey sweets as a gingerbread house. It lasts for AGES.

100g butter
    500g honey
    1 egg
    800g whole flour
    tsp cinnamon
    tsp ginger
    1/2 tsp ground cloves
    tsp baking powder
    pinch of salt
    (pepper- optional deterrant if you want to make tree decorations and don't want the kids to eat them all)
    grated zest of an orange
    orange juice

-melt butter and honey
    -sieve dry ingredients
    - mix in beaten egg butter and honey
    - add in zest and enough juice to bring it all together nicely
    - knead then rest in the fridge at least half an hour before rolling
    - roll, cut and bake at 180 (if its been in the fridge for a while you might need to warm it up a bit before you can roll it out)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I thought this was going to be about these
    ninja-men.jpg

Also check out these!
    Mr+Hanky+cookies.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

When we were kids my parents used to take the gingerbread men out of the fridge on the sly and hide them around the house, they told us they escaped and were hiding so we couldn't eat them. So we had to try and find them.

That's what I thought this thread was about. :D

Ah the innocence of youth. :o

Those ninja cutters are awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

rubadub wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be about these
    ninja-men.jpg

Also check out these!
    Mr+Hanky+cookies.jpg

heehee cute!

Thanks Rosy Posy might give that a go, German baking is the best and German grannies are the best at it.

Eviledna wrote: »
    This is by far the best gingerbread recipe I've ever used, it's foolproof, I've made men, reindeer, ladies and even willies (hen night:p). It's tasty and just the right hardness. *ahem* :P

Roll it thin for cookies, roll it thicker for a gingerbread house.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4900/

Do you think these made in to gingerbread men would be ok to bake and store for a day before hand?

Nuther question if I used grated root ginger would that be too strong? I can't find any other type other than the ground ginger which I can use but just asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Any gingerbread should be fine for a day, you can crisp them up again in the oven quickly. Grated root ginger might be a bit strong, if you wanted it stronger maybe use some extra ground ginger?

I just made my first batch of gingerbread things :) Used the odlums recipe, made stars, trees, holly, round ones to be snowmen, will decorate tomorrow :)

Do you chill the dough before putting it in the oven?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Yeah, for 30 mins, recipe said to so I do what I'm told! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Sigma force: I make gingerbread men every week to sell on my stall. I always make them the day, if not 2 days beforehand, and they are grand. Just pop them in an airtight box when cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

I mad some gingerbread yesterday using the odlums recipe, and found it lacking in ginger and I had doubled up on it. The BBC one is similar so I am guessing might be lacking in ginger. I couldn't find the man shaped cutter I had so ended up with Christmas trees lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I always put 3 teaspoons of ginger in the odlums recipe, I thought it was just the cheap ground ginger I bought. But I love the taste of ginger anyway. I think the cinnamon brings out the taste of the ginger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I have those ninjabread men and only used them once.

I think there will be gingerbread made tomorrow now!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

I thought these looked cool, you only need the regular gingerbread man cutter!

Just turn it upside down

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Brilliant, I hate sweet cookies but love gingerbread so I'll make a few of these.

Advertisement