Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sample schemes of work and incidental inspections

• 19-11-2011 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get the format for schemes of work and how much detail must go into them. Also on a subsequent point has anyone has an incidental inspection yet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

Terri26 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get the format for schemes of work and how much detail must go into them. Also on a subsequent point has anyone has an incidental inspection yet?
    Surely you got guidelines in college. Schemes are part and Parcel of the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

About halfway down the page you should see a link for Subject Planning Template. All the templates you need are there.

http://www.sdpi.ie/subject_planning.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

Thanks Rainbowtrout for the helpful advice!
    Obviously I did not get templates in college or I would not have had to ask. I think the ones I am currently using are probably a bit too basic and am doing nothing tonight so decided to jazz them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

No bother, one thing I will say from writing a scheme (we had a subject inspection last year in science) is that they don't want to see schemes saying

First Year : Chapters 1 - 10 of whatever book you are using, because you are supposed to be following the syllabus not a textbook.

So of course your scheme can match whatever books etc you are using, but put down the topics covered instead so they match the syllabus... Respiration, excretion, chemical bonding etc and then the textbook can be listed as a resource.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

Great thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They very much like things like 'Learning outcomes', 'JCSP statements being achieved', 'Provisions for IEPs' etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

+1

We just had a MLL inspection and there was major emphasis on learning outcomes. The new proposed Junior Cert is also being centred around them and the inspectors were looking for us to self-evaluate those outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

"planning for a culturally diverse society"....what could you put into a language plan about this? TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

+1

We just had a MLL inspection and there was major emphasis on learning outcomes. The new proposed Junior Cert is also being centred around them and the inspectors were looking for us to self-evaluate those outcomes.

Hi, how did the MLL go ?? Any more advice for the rest of us ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Fizzical

Do you all actually change how you work because of inspections?

......what detail needs to be in the schemes....
    ......what you must put in them...

Are you all actually doing all this written work? WHY???

Is it a description of what you actually do, or do you actually use these templates to plan your real work?

Is it because you think it's helpful or because you're afraid of the inspection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cat82

I use my schemes every day. They are sitting on my desk and I use them to write up the learning outcomes of each class. That way my students can see exactly what they will cover in the class and what they need to be able to do.

If some methodology doesn't work I write it in the scheme and will know to try something else when I cover the topic again.

I find them great but its not for inspection. Using them has definitely made a difference to my organisation and my students understanding of the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

solerina wrote: »
    Hi, how did the MLL go ?? Any more advice for the rest of us ??

Went grand, wasn't too intrusive. Feedback tomorrow, so will let you all know then!
    Fizzical wrote: »
    Do you all actually change how you work because of inspections?

......what detail needs to be in the schemes....
    ......what you must put in them...

Are you all actually doing all this written work? WHY???

Is it a description of what you actually do, or do you actually use these templates to plan your real work?

Is it because you think it's helpful or because you're afraid of the inspection?

All planning is helpful, in fairness. What the threat of inspections has done is made me put a proper format on my long and medium term plans. In the past, I would have noted roughly on a bit of paper what I was doing or told the students (and subsequently had to get their copies back off them to keep on track!) Now, they're typed up at the beginning of the year and adjusted each term. My short term is just what I write in my diary.

So, yes, I have changed the way I work a bit, but it's for the better when it comes to my planning and reminding me to give the learning outcomes at the beginning of class etc.

The subject profile, however, is less useful as it's going to the major hassle of writing down in detail how your department actually runs i.e. describing the glaringly obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I think it's quite ambiguous what is needed though, weekly, monthly, termly...it's helpful when done in a way that makes sense to the teacher, not in a way they feel they have to.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

spurious wrote: »
    They very much like things like 'Learning outcomes', 'JCSP statements being achieved', 'Provisions for IEPs' etc.

Have a look at Blooms Taxonomy for learning outcomes and relate them back to the syllabus, http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/hrd/bloom.html has a link to the material to show that you are covering the three learning domains

Advertisement