Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAT Annoyance

Options
  • 19-11-2011 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I know this strict NAT thing has been flogged to death but it's cracking me up, I thought I had it nailed. This is the setup :

UPC - Cisco EPC2425
    xbox slim (wireless)
    xbox elite (wired) &
    PC (wired)

Both xboxes were strict so i gave them both static addresses .1.20 & .1.30

I used DMZ with xbox slim & Port Forward (3074 UDP & TCP, 88 UDP) for the other, turned both off & on....Bingo both NATs open.

Turned them on this morning and the elite (port forward) was strict.

What am I doing wrong guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Youre missing a few ports in that list

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Meesared wrote: »
    Youre missing a few ports in that list

Yup

Xbox LIVE requires the following ports to be open: Port 88 (UDP)Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)Port 53 (UDP and TCP)Port 80 (TCP)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭zale

Vicxas wrote: »
    Yup

Xbox LIVE requires the following ports to be open: Port 88 (UDP)Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)Port 53 (UDP and TCP)Port 80 (TCP)

Oh right cause I read that port 53 and 80 were only for out going traffic & didn't affect NAT.

I'll open them too and see how I get on...Thanks.

I had both open.

But the slim got disconnected then when I reconnected it was open. But that made the elite disconnect and after reconnecting it was strict & is staying strict.....WTF.

I seem to be only able to keep one open at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Its probably down to that router, its an awfully finnicky thing, have one myself just doesn't work as a router should!

• Advertisement

Meesared wrote: »
    Its probably down to that router, its an awfully finnicky thing, have one myself just doesn't work as a router should!

I know the hassle I had when I first got it, couldn't get the wireless enabled & it kept rebooting itself. Have they not replaced that model yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

That Cisco is awful for handling traffic, I suggest buying a 3rd party router and run everything through that and let the Cisco just handle the router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

from the xbox support site, open these ports and you should be good to go,

Your network hardware or firewall might be blocking communication with the Xbox LIVE servers.
    If you're connected to a network through your workplace or a college, ask the network administrator to open the following ports:
    • Port 88 (UDP)
    • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
    • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
    • Port 80 (TCP)
    If you’re not connected to a workplace or college network, you need to open network ports on your network hardware. There are two ways to open network ports:

from the xbox support site, open these ports and you should be good to go,

Your network hardware or firewall might be blocking communication with the Xbox LIVE servers.
    If you're connected to a network through your workplace or a college, ask the network administrator to open the following ports:
    • Port 88 (UDP)
    • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
    • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
    • Port 80 (TCP)
    If you’re not connected to a workplace or college network, you need to open network ports on your network hardware. There are two ways to open network ports:

I have those open but only one xbox at a time will have NAT open..?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

You can only forward ports to one IP at a time. You can't have the same ports open for 2 different IP's. What I do for my 2 consoles is port forward one xbox and put the other xbox in the DMZ.

My main console is always open NAT and my other is moderate. That Cisco modem is terrible for port forwarding though, i bought a third party modem (cicso E4000) to handle all my ports and stuff and i just use the ESP2425 in bridge mode (192.168.100.1)

• Advertisement

You can only forward ports to one IP at a time. You can't have the same ports open for 2 different IP's. What I do for my 2 consoles is port forward one xbox and put the other xbox in the DMZ.

My main console is always open NAT and my other is moderate. That Cisco modem is terrible for port forwarding though, i bought a third party modem (cicso E4000) to handle all my ports and stuff and i just use the ESP2425 in bridge mode (192.168.100.1)

I only port forward the elite and DMZ the slim. They could be both open 2day, both strict 2moro or keep disconnecting the next day. And that's without changing a single setting. I can't keep up with this bloody EPC2425:mad:

Advertisement