Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi issue, 1 pc works, 2 macs and another pc don't

Options
  • 19-11-2011 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

I'm helping someone with their wireless network.

Network has WPA key.

One windows PC will connect no bother.

Another windows pc and two macs will not connect to the network. This pc and these macs will connect to other wifi networks ok.

Is there any reason that these pcs and macs can't connect to this network while another pc does?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Not a broadband issue. Moved to Wireless forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭holcus

There could be several reasons.
    - outdated software which does not support WPA encryption (change to WEP for a while and see if it works. Don't use it however - it's much less secure)
    - MAC addresses blocked on router (check settings or restore factory defaults)
    - wifi channel is set to some not standard channel like 13 and not all PCs can see it.

Anyway what the problem exactly is? Can PCs see the network? where the connection fails?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

holcus wrote: »
    There could be several reasons.
    - outdated software which does not support WPA encryption (change to WEP for a while and see if it works. Don't use it however - it's much less secure)
    - MAC addresses blocked on router (check settings or restore factory defaults)
    - wifi channel is set to some not standard channel like 13 and not all PCs can see it.

Anyway what the problem exactly is? Can PCs see the network? where the connection fails?

Thanks for you're reply.

I can't see outdated software being an issue but I could be wrong. The PC that does not connect is from '07 and have XP SP3. The two macs are new.

I wanted to test WEP, will have to work on that. Need the person who owns the network to get their modem username and password!

All macs and pcs see the network. Windows 7 pc connect no bother. The XP pc and two macs see the network, I enter the key but it's like they don't authenticate.

I guess it must be a software issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭coolpix23

If a PC can connect and a PC can't connect and two MAC's can't?

Win XP needs, I think at least SP1 maybe SP2 to work with WPA. Don't know about MAC's. But seems there could problem with MAC's and WPA also, check http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2594?viewlocale=en_US

Some anti virus software can cause problems with WiFi. It iwouldn't really make sense that a PC and MAC's don't work?

First I'd just turn the security off compleatly to see if the problem is the WPA. Obviously turn it back on later.

And are you using WPA or WPA2?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

having the exact same issue in our house. Macsnot connecting but Windows laptop does.

We think it's to do with a recent UPC update.

Macs can see network and are when you go to advanced settings it tells us the i.p. is not recognised. We get around it by turning airport off, forgetting the wireless network and turning Airport back on and re-connecting.

PAin the the hole. It happens every time laptop leaves the network.

• Advertisement
Advertisement