Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

engine cut out and disc rubbing

• 19-11-2011 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

i have an 03 burgmann 400cc and last night as i was riding along at 80k it just cut out but restarted and today i heard a sound and when i turn the back wheel i can hear it against the brake disc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Do you have handlebar covers for the winter? I used to have the woolly ones and at speed they would catch the wind and push against the brake levers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Do you have handlebar covers for the winter? I used to have the woolly ones and at speed they would catch the wind and push against the brake levers.

rear brake is usually foot operated tho? (edit: sorry, just realized this is a scooter so they have a back brake lever?)

for what its worth I would say its likely the two issues are unrelated

for the rear brake it could be a piston seized a bit in the caliper and to moving back away from the disc...a bit of cleaning could help (be careful tho in case the pads have asbestos in them)

for cutting out it could be lots of things.......tank breather blocked so vacuum preventing proper amount of fuel flowing

spark plugs need a clean or need to be replaced.....injectors (if the bike has them) may need to be looked at....carbs (if the bike has them) may need to be looked at.....fuses, electronics, ecu running to lean or too rich a mixture etc etc

you'll need to do a bit of investigation imo OP, it could be simple or it could require a bit of effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭IRISHROVER98

but with regards to the brake disc rubbing is it dangerous to be using it? im 100% reliant on it for work

but with regards to the brake disc rubbing is it dangerous to be using it? im 100% reliant on it for work

yes it could be dangerous and potentially costly if you ride it like that...the danger and the cost are very much dependent on the severity of the problem however.

eg:

rubbing pads due to seized piston can heat up the brake disc/rotor through friction and cause it to warp = can be costly enough to put right

rear brakes seizing going round a corner = guaranteed off

+if the disc is rubbing badly you are labouring the engine unnecessarily etc etc

It might not be the best thing to go by the advice you receive on an internet forum but I would probably do something like the following.....(I take no responsibility for my advice btw:))

1) remove the back caliper and check the brakepad friction material to see if they are worn beyond their limit (there will be a thickness in mm they should not go below and probably a groove to indicate how much of the material has worn away - all my pads have this but I don't know about yours)

2) while you are at this rotate the back wheel slowly and check the disc to make sure its not warped - in my experience this is very rare ...I've only had it once on a front rotor and never on a back.... btw discs/rotors have a minimum thickness in mm as well so you could check this as well for pig iron

3) if all seems well move onto the caliper and check if the pistons are seized (these push the pads onto the disc)
    wear gloves and a mask if possible [if there is asbestos dust there you don't want it in your lungs]

if its very grotty and grimy in there then a good clean may sort out the problem and let the pistons/piston slide back in - do not attempt to clean them with anything other than brake cleaner or denatured alcohol (im trying to get a hold of these cheap myself at the mo)...petrol etc is a bad idea no matter what anyone tells you

at least now you will have a better idea of the problem

put the caliper back on the bike and use the recommended factory torque settings for the bolts holding it on (you will need a proper torque wrench for this) with either the old pads in or some new ones - if new ones be careful following the recommended bedding in procedure as your bike will get tail happy doing sharp stops - use the front brakes when using the back (follow the 80 -20 / 70 - 30 type rule - 80% front 20% back)

that's if you want to try and fix it yourself
    or see if you can do it yourself

if not and the problem is not too bad (ie: it wouldn't be dangerous to ride at slow speed) you could try ride it slowly to the nearest motorcycle mechanic and ask them to take a look at it.......that might be a much better option if you would not be confident working on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭IRISHROVER98

my mates who are long time bikers say its ok to use it but i cant do without it for more than 1 day. and i really dont want to go at myself. i had both front and rear brakes replaced with new pads earlier in the year and i just cant understand why the back brake is doing this. i would leave in the shop but then i couldnt get to work. rock and a hard place

• Advertisement

my mates who are long time bikers say its ok to use it but i cant do without it for more than 1 day. and i really dont want to go at myself. i had both front and rear brakes replaced with new pads earlier in the year and i just cant understand why the back brake is doing this. i would leave in the shop but then i couldnt get to work. rock and a hard place

just a thought but I know some scooters have a parking brake - you might google your model and parking brake and see how to adjust it (usually its not too skilled a task - may be as simple as turning a screw)

guy who put in the pads for you may not have adjusted the parking brake incorrectly or it may have slipped

+ get a torch and see if you can see if there is uneven wear on the pads...see if the disc looks true...at least you might get an idea what the actual issue is without having to go near a wrench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

There can be some subtle noise from the disk as you turn the wheel. when you try to spin the wheel does it turn freely or does it feel like the brake is being applied? (Say compared to the front) (not sure much resistance'll be the from the auto drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It might be the caliper is fine but it is binding up on the slider pins.
    There is usually 2 pins that the caliper slides on sometimes the grease gets old and the caliper can't slide back and forth on the pins, this leads to one pad contacting the disc surface and causing a scraping noise.
    Regarding the cutting out, I would think that this is more an electric/fuel problem than a binding brake especially at 80 kph!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Regarding the cutting out, I would think that this is more an electric/fuel problem than a binding brake especially at 80 kph!
    Exactly

Advertisement