Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Death of Common Sense....

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

I am the bastard son of common sense now kneel before me as it is my right. alive and well 20/11/2011 Dublin,Eire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

paddyandy wrote: »
    There is always an excuse but never a reason.

Not knowing what the reason is, and there not being a reason are two very different things. Arrogance causes people to confuse the two.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

krudler wrote: »
    there isnt really a reason apple name their osx software stuff like lion or snow leopard, they're just names. android gingerbread and ice cream sandwich are just fun names for an operating system.
    Why not call osx sosk would'nt that be easier?.....of course not.Because imagery plays a huge part in selling a product and must have tentative meaning. Snow Leapord suggests daring and viciousness in an age obsessed with a facination with evil......It sells and it's not an innocent use of words.
    OSX AS SOSX LIKE SOCKS MUCH BRIEFER and very easy to remember.THEY ARE NOT FUN NAMES.

tbh wrote: »
    Not knowing what the reason is, and there not being a reason are two very different things. Arrogance causes people to confuse the two.

i understood that a long time ago...this age does'nt or this time in history does'nt know it's own name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

This is complete garbage. The woman in question did not fail to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, she failed to realise that the coffee she'd bought from McDonalds was served at 85 degrees centigrade instead of the more usual 60 degrees - a temperature coffee shops will usually provide only on specific request. She did not spill a little in her lap; she had third degree burns over six percent of her body (including her genitals) and had to get skin grafts. She was not promptly awarded a huge settlement; she was willing to settle for $20,000, which McDonalds refused, and ended up getting $640,000 (out of which came the cost of those skin grafts. Subsequent investigation of the McDonalds in question revealed that they had reduced the temperature of their coffee to 70 degrees C.

This isn't a story about a greedy jerk who made a fortune out of a legal loophole - this is about a seventy-nine-year old woman who was served a dangerously hot cup of coffee that burned the skin off her genitals and six percent of her entire body, and was ignored when she offered to settle for $20k. You might not agree with how the case went, but it's nothing to do with common sense.

Wow, I never heard that version of it before did some reading about the case there and even McDonalds own safety officer advised against selling the coffee at that temperature. Thanks for clarifying.
    Dudess wrote: »
    A six-year-old boy was not suspended for sexual harassment in any rational society. Maybe in some basket-case dictatorship or fundamentalist society.

The fact that some folks just accept this stuff and don't bother questioning it... yeah I guess that kinda does indicate common sense is lacking...

I don't think anyone believed that one tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

hooli07 wrote: »
    An Obituary ..

**** yeah, rest of post looked boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Why not call osx sosk would'nt that be easier?.....of course not.Because imagery plays a huge part in selling a product and must have tentative meaning. Snow Leapord suggests daring and viciousness in an age obsessed with a facination with evil......It sells and it's not an innocent use of words.
    OSX AS SOSX LIKE SOCKS MUCH BRIEFER and very easy to remember.THEY ARE NOT FUN NAMES.

errrr, hows that tinfoil hat fitting you? I could explain what OSX actually stands for but its funnier watching you make hysterically ignorant claims like on the mobile phones forum, carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

*mumbles some crap about common sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Good bye hero u were a legend in ur time. U saved many a life and left noone harmed and saw that justice was served to those who sought it. If only we could turn the clock and make people see the mistakes they are making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Why don't Apple call their OS something simple, like Operating System? That would be common sense.
    And then when they made a new operating system they could just call it Operating System 2.
    But since Operating System 2 is way too long, if they had common sense they'd call it OS 2.

But when they make 8 more operating systems and get to OS 10, common sense says they should shorten those double figures to an easier roman X, for ten.

So if they had any sense at all, when they were naming OS X, they should have called it OS X.

Has common sense come to an all new ridiculous level ?.op
    The question itself is typical of the perverse way words are used these days.
    Common Sense does'nt move or change but it can be ignored and these days it too often is.To read some of the comments on boards i get the impression that pop music with it's bizarre thinking finds it's way here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Millicent wrote: »
    Balls. Health and safety laws and regulations are there for people who don't have common sense. I'll give you an example:

I was receiving food safety training one day. During the training we were told that things should be defrosted in a fridge, not in the air. Some people found this unbelievable and were shocked that that was the case.

The trainer told us one story of a kitchen worker who she had trained. When asked where she defrosted the Christmas turkey to feed the staff, she said under the radiator. Under the bloody radiator.

There are good reasons for health and safety laws. Just because people think they know better and have common sense doesn't mean they do.

You're right to a degree, it isn't always the 'elf and safety laws that are the problem, most of which as you point out, tend to be based in common sense.
    The problem is the people that impliment them, the ones that seem so utterly incapable of independent thought that they substitute process and procedures for common sense, sometimes to the point of absolute absurdity.

Here's a fine example of the kind of people that I refer to around the office as the 'process lemmings':
    Residents who asked their local council to remove a dumped mattress from an embankment were shocked to be told it could take a week - because a JCB would be required.
    And the reason? Health and safety, of course.
    The mouldy mattress was disfiguring a grassy bank in Bolton, along with other fly-tipped refuse.
    Local councillor Sean Hornby rang the waste disposal office to report it, but instead of a team of workmen turning up, an official in a suit arrived to conduct a 'risk assessment'.
    Once his report was filed, the verdict was that it would not be safe to shift it without a JCB, and that could take up to a week to arrange.
    Instead, Mr Hornby and local cafe owner Paul Richardson rolled up their sleeves and dragged it to the nearest road for it to be collected by a refuse truck.
    Mr Richardson, 63, said: 'Risk assessment has taken over from common sense. I'm sure some council workers are capable of doing this.'
    Fortunately neither man was injured in the operation to tackle the offending mattress.
    'It was a question of being careful,' said Mr Richardson. 'The embankment was slippy and it was heavy, but we did it step by step, got a good footing and just heaved it up a few feet at a time.
    'It took about four minutes altogether, just the two of us.'
    By contrast, using a JCB would probably have taken four council workers - plus a fifth to do the risk assessment.
    'It's such a waste on money over one mattress,' said the businessman. 'There are 800 fly-tipping incidents in Bolton in a year - how many risk assessments are being done?

Now I think we all know how the above happened. It usually starts with a process written by a committee of managers that are about as far removed from it's implementation as is humanly possible. Combine that process (a H&S assessment must be produced when disposing of dumped material that may constitute a health hazard, sound reasonable) with a process lemming, typically a tremendously thick middle manager, and you have a recipe for the kind of nonsense above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Common sense never existed.

But stupidity is on the increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Yeah because nothing bad ever happened in the past with all the common sense floating around. GTFO.

Of course it did...no-one is saying it didn't.

Litigation and the the threat of it are what has killed "common sense"... people do/don't do things anymore where there is a risk they could be sued for doing/not doing it.
    Health and safety regulation was never about the health and safety of anyone, they were so whoever was insuring against that particular injury/accident didn't have to pay out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Incorrect.

Particularly in the construction industry, H&S regulations have significantly reduced the rate of work related injuries.

Aye and payouts for same.

If something happens you now on a site, if/when it goes to court, your specific training and holding of a safepass or similar will possibly de-indeminify the insurer since you most likely did something that went against one or other rules.

I'm not saying that it hasn't saved lifes and injuries, I am sayoing that the only reason it has was not because anyone gives a sh*t, but because there's big bucks involved.

Advertisement