Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry

• 19-11-2011 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I've applied to do medicine in the uk this year but i'm not the typical applicant. I did my leaving cert back in 2006. Unfortunately i didn't do chemistry which i need to meet the entry criteria for the 4 uk uni's i've applied to. I have a degree in radiography. Just got word that i've an interview in one of the uni's i've applied to. I've stated on my ucas that i'll be doing chemistry as a single leaving cert subject this year. However i've very little experience in chemistry . I think i can get an A in it if i put a serious amount of work in. I'm going to be starting grinds next week for the rest of the year. Do people think i have a chance of getting an A in higher level next june considering i'm starting with very little knowledge of the subject. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I think its definitely possible, especially since its the only subject you're doing. We did a very small amount of the course in 5th year so had to cover the majority of it in Leaving Cert and still got through it :) With a bit of work you should be fine, it might seem daunting at first but once you get into practising exam papers it all comes together!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

Thanks mate. Just what i wanted to hear. Daunting isn't the word. I did very little chemistry subjects in the radiography degree. It was mainly anatomy, biology and physics. Just realised last week when i had a look over the leaving cert textbook theres no way i could study this on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

If it's your only subject and you get a good teacher, there's absolutely no reason that you can't get the A.

You've obviously got an aptitude for Science and Chemistry is a fair, if boring, subject. Don't sweat it, LC Chemistry is not at all bad, especially if you don't have to juggle 6 other subjects. I think you'd be more than capable of an A1 with consistent studying.

I really hope it works out for you and you get the course you want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

Thank you :-) Let's hope so. I didn't think i'd ever need to sit a leaving cert subject again :-p. Well needs must :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Duffman K

Its important that you understand the first few chapters in the book as they lay the basic foundation for alot more of the content in the course.
    Chemistry is more about understanding than learning off definitions.

There is alot of emphasis put on experiments in the exam paper so know your experiments well.

You sound as if your good at science in general so with hard work the A1 should be no bother.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

With grinds, good notes and as your only subject, absolutely!

Advertisement