Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plasma vs CRT power consumption

Options
  • 19-11-2011 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭

I just replaced a 10 year old 28" CRT with a 50" plasma and am wondering will there be much of an increase in my electricity bill. The plasma says it uses 315W and the CRT was using 93W, both figures from the manuals. So it looks like it will cost 3 times as much to run the plasma but what would this equate to in euros per year at an average use of 5 hrs / day?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

off the top of my head about a tenner extra on the bill

per 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Thanks,

Is that from personal experience or a rough calculation? Just for my info, would running six 50W lightbulbs for an hour cost the same as running a 300W tv for an hour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yea for 5 hours a day of using the tv, it would be €10 extra.

Probably wont be using the full rated wattage on the badge anyway.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yea for 5 hours a day of using the tv, it would be €10 extra.

Probably wont be using the full rated wattage on the badge anyway.

An extra tenner per ????

xabi wrote: »
    Thanks,

Is that from personal experience or a rough calculation? Just for my info, would running six 50W lightbulbs for an hour cost the same as running a 300W tv for an hour?

Yes it does work like that.

1000 watts is 18 cent now including vat.

So your new tv is 315 watts x 5 hours x 60 days = 94500 watts hours, or 94.5 kwh`s (units)

94.5 x 0.18 = €17 euro to run the new tv 5 hours a day.

93 x 5 x 60 x 0.18 = €5 to run old tv for the same period.

• Advertisement

An extra tenner per ????

Per 2 month bill.

Exact figure is €12 per bill for 5 hours a day. New tv will probably use slightly less than the specs say though.

Its not too bad, as the screen size is nearly 4 times bigger on the new tv.

Thanks for that Robbie, it's well worth the extra 70 odd euro per year :)

Thanks for that Robbie, it's well worth the extra 70 odd euro per year :)

It definitely is. The 28 inch will be like a little portable tv now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

You need to consider the heat output which is not wasted as it actually supports your space heating. In a smallish room the Plasma will heat the room without any other form of heating! So actually you need to deduct this from the cost. Fans in a big plasma help with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I got a plasma TV 50" recently and it only uses 180W with some models they make an effort to keep the power consumption down, it's worth checking out I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

I got a new plasma about 8 months ago, it uses way less power than my old plasma did which was about 8 years old and cost a mint.

Advertisement