Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First build complete!

Options
  • 19-11-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Just wanted to post to say thanks to all who help out here.

I've spent weeks reading this forum, and finally ordered my setup a couple of weeks ago. It arrived during the week, I've set it all up now, and it runs like a dream. (I hope posting this isn't going to jinx it!)

i5 2400
    8Gb G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9 RAM
    MSI H61A-P35 (B3)
    ASUS EAH6950 DCII 1 Gb (bought secondhand from adverts.ie)
    Crucial M4 64Gb SSD
    Seagate 500Gb HDD
    TP-Link TL-WN951N, 300Mbps PCI-Adapter
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W
    Xigmatek Asgard, ATX case
    BenQ G2420HDBL 24" monitor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭asif2011

Do you mind me asking how much space you've got left after your OS is installed and maybe a game? Just wondering...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Markd250

Installed windows, and some regular use programs (firefox, itunes, photoshop etc), and have 28Gb at present.

Still have to install office, but I might put that on the hard drive.

Man alive but the SSD is fast though! Well worth the extra investment. :)

Maybe I spoke a little too soon. GPU getting pretty hot - getting an 80C temp warning playing The Witcher.

I will try to raise the warning level, and see how much hotter it gets, but maybe I need an extra fan in the side of the case.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Markd250 wrote: »
    Maybe I spoke a little too soon. GPU getting pretty hot - getting an 80C temp warning playing The Witcher.

I will try to raise the warning level, and see how much hotter it gets, but maybe I need an extra fan in the side of the case.

Download MSI Afterburner and use it to set a custom fan curve. That way it will turn up the GPU fan to cool things a bit.

Thanks, the card comes with ASUS SmartDoctor, and I've set the fan up now to cool it down - it is staying between 50 and 60C.

I think the EAH6950 DCII isn't a great match with the Asgard case - the card is very low down, and there isn't much space around it for airflow. Just in case anyone else was looking at a similar build. Maybe an inverted case like the BitFenix Outlaw would work better. I think I will pick up a fan for the side to see if I can pull some of the hot air out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Markd250 wrote: »
    Thanks, the card comes with ASUS SmartDoctor, and I've set the fan up now to cool it down - it is staying between 50 and 60C.

I think the EAH6950 DCII isn't a great match with the Asgard case - the card is very low down, and there isn't much space around it for airflow. Just in case anyone else was looking at a similar build. Maybe an inverted case like the BitFenix Outlaw would work better. I think I will pick up a fan for the side to see if I can pull some of the hot air out.

You'd be better setting the side fan as intake. The DirectCU coolers blow air down (or in your case up) onto the card's heatsink, the heat then escapes from all sides. You'd be best served by assisting the cooler with cold air. To compensate, you could have your front fan as exhaust; hard drives need the tiniest bit of airflow and they'll stay within operating temps.

Good to know, I assumed that the DirectCU would push hot air out! That makes sense alright.

The front fan seems to be an exhaust already, but the only intake is through the PSU. The corner under the GPU is the only warm part of the system.

Advertisement