Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Catching the bosses attention

• 19-11-2011 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Not in that way,ladies:pac:

Im currently penning a letter to the regional director in charge of the Northern Ireland sector of the company I work for.

Due to the company panicking,tens of thousands has been spent bringing in trouble-shooting muppets who have only confused the situation and created a situation where productivity is less than it was before these clowns appeared.

How do I get the top mans attention in a letter when he is probably receiving hundreds of such complaints/suggestions.

By the way,one of my two main ideas will save £40k per year in my office alone after initial outlay.:)I have made suggestions to management recently but they are hellbent on listening to the sage outsiders.

So,AH'ers,have you ever wrote the boss and how the hell do I get my letter to stand out?Insult first,then retraction or just plain facts?

AH response and constructive response.....All welcome:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Suggest your company gets email

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Just send the letter to him. Dear Mr etc. He will read it as you are staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Seal it with a kiss. nice red lipstick. that will get his attention,spray of perfume as well.
    Hand deliver it, he will remember you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

cesc77 wrote: »
    Not in that way,ladies:pac:

Im currently penning a letter to the regional director in charge of the Northern Ireland sector of the company I work for.

Due to the company panicking,tens of thousands has been spent bringing in trouble-shooting muppets who have only confused the situation and created a situation where productivity is less than it was before these clowns appeared.

How do I get the top mans attention in a letter when he is probably receiving hundreds of such complaints/suggestions.

By the way,one of my two main ideas will save £40k per year in my office alone after initial outlay.:)I have made suggestions to management recently but they are hellbent on listening to the sage outsiders.

So,AH'ers,have you ever wrote the boss and how the hell do I get my letter to stand out?Insult first,then retraction or just plain facts?

AH response and constructive response.....All welcome:)
    Just make sure the man on horse back who delivers it gives it to him directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

PK2008 wrote: »
    Suggest your company gets email

:pac:Im oldschool dammit

quill,wax seal and everything

• Advertisement

hondasam wrote: »
    Seal it with a kiss. nice red lipstick. that will get his attention,spray of perfume as well.
    Hand deliver it, he will remember you.

:eek:

Im not a piece of meat:(

:pac:

Just make sure the man on horse back who delivers it gives it to him directly.

Too......many.......euphemisms.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

start the letter heading with I have an indecent proposal for you!

he will read the whole thing before he realises there is none :(
    oh well at least you will get him to read it

:eek:

Im not a piece of meat:(

:pac:

If you want to get the bosses attention you will be what ever he wants you to be. You want his attention or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

Go see him. Shy bairns get nowt. If I want to put an important idea across to someone work-wise, I do a go-see. Letters get binned and e-mails get skimmed. Face to face and make your case.:) Unless he is a pointy haired idiot, he will be glad to meet you and get your input, Unless you are a pointy haired idiot....

• Advertisement

If you want to get the bosses attention you will be what ever he wants you to be. You want his attention or not?

Oh,no.You misread me or else I havent projected myself properly.

I am not and never will be a company man,but cannot abide inefficiency,waste and unabridled muppetry.

I will never ,ever sell my soul for someone elses gain.

I want his attention so that he can see that a mere minion has more nous(sp?)than outside graduate number-crunching interferers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

'Trouble-shooters', quite often translates into = Useless, clueless fúckwits.

Anyway print out your findings/report and use Ladybird book style English to ensure clarity of message.

Then make sure and put something like 'Dummies Guide to Saving Money', along with the recipients name on the front of the envelope. I guarantee this will get his attention and focus the mind.

How effectively you explain the rationale for your actions, will determine your future employment status.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Write to your boss suggesting that you get a suggestion box in your office, then you can put your suggestion in the suggestion box

Oh,no.You misread me or else I havent projected myself properly.

I am not and never will be a company man,but cannot abide inefficiency,waste and unabridled muppetry.

I will never ,ever sell my soul for someone elses gain.

I want his attention so that he can see that a mere minion has more nous(sp?)than outside graduate number-crunching interferers.

AH response and constructive response.....All welcome

you are getting AH response, I'm not helping you help your boss, I don't even know who he is, it's sat night, who wants serious. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Letterbomb?

you are getting AH response, I'm not helping you help your boss, I don't even know who he is, it's sat night, who wants serious. :pac:

Youre always serious,Sam.

The only girl I know with 24/7/365 PMS:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

Blast him with piss ...

I'll get my coat

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Letterbomb?

:pac:Youve been flagged up somewhere,now.

Crap,so have I by association.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

In the 5hit pyramid that is the modern workplace, the only way to affect real change is to make your direct boss and the people directly affected by the change believe it is their idea and that they will get the credit/benefit.

Its a trade off between ego and real change- if you go for the credit you'll find yourself and your ideas frustrated by your colleagues/bosses complete lack of interest and/or active resistance

or

you go for the real change and forego any credit/ego boost...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Write and request a meeting, give a brief description of your idea's.... but be sure to not give too many details, this should get his attention for him to want to talk to you.
    If this fails, write to him again and tell himm you've been humping his wife and his daughter and you'll put the video's on you tube unless you get a meeting and a big fat pay rise.
    Worked for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Don't bother.
    Somewhere in the vast logic of the boss's mind he is ultimately responsible for EVERYTHING that goes on in the company, by extension that would mean he is responsible for the muppetry that you are vexed about.
    What you see as pointing out inefficiencies, he will see as undermining the decisions of someone more senior than you.
    I see it all the time, and have seen it in almost every large company I worked for. You also have to account for "the peter principle" where someone promoted the muppets who hired the muppets and admiting that they are ineffective is an admission of a fault, which most managers will be loath to acknowledge.
    Trying to save the company money is all very well, but it comes with risks.
    I say resign if you feel so strongly about it...and write a letter to a high calibre newspaper like the mail to vent your frustration.:rolleyes:
    On a more serious note, if you don't have a direct line to the guy you need to thread carefully, even open door policies aren't too receptive to interjections from "below". Ask for a meeting if it is something that you could get across in a few minutes or with facts and figures to support your assertion, think like AH...Pics or GTFO, give that boss a presentation, bosses love presentations.

Good luck.

Advertisement