Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss wants me sacked

Options
  • 19-11-2011 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ill start from the beginning, in the last 12 months, our department has gone through 3 managers, 7 months ago, the 2nd manager, created a new position and between himself and my assistant manager, they thought I would be the right canditate for it. At the beginning I thought it would be great, advancing in my career, less hassle, better hours, more independence to get things done etc. but very quickly it all went downhill, my stress levels went up and my relationship with 1 member of upper management deteriated (sp) fairly fast, its not uncommon for people in my department to not get along with this person but the grief I was getting had got to an unacceptable level.

Within 2 months of starting the position I had realised that I wasnt able to do this job and my failings were creating more work for others, over the next 6 weeks I had 5 meetings with my boss, upper management and HR and told them that I was not capable of doing the job to the standards that they accepted and I asked if I could be transferred back to my original position. Nothing happened so I started looking for a new job, found one and handed in my notice. It was only then that they realised how badly I wanted out so I was offered my old position back or move to any other department that I may prefer, which, again without thinking accepted.

4 months later, we were without a manager and I was still doing that job I hated, I kept asking when I would be moved and was told that they couldnt hire anyone until they had hired a new manager.

The new manager came along, I went back to my old job and all was happy, that only lasted a week when I was told that I had to train the new person in which I have been told will last until the new year.

Early this week, I was told that because of errors that had been made by our 1st manager, which I hadnt spotted, a member of upper management requested that I be sacked which my boss quickly shrugged off and reassured me that my job was safe.

Now I cannot relax in work, Im in a position where Im terrified that if I make a mistake, in a position that I have told them I cannot do I will lose my job.

At the moment, I feel like just walking out, the person that I am training in doesnt want to learn and Im taking the grief for work that he is not doing

Just dont know what to do, any ideas please.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

First off, try and relax. They have to follow a procedure before they can get rid of you. Every company has a hot head manager / owner. The company will have to investigate the claims, you will be given a chance to put your side forward, which is you already asked to be given your old job back, you had handed your notice in and they agreed to give you your old job back.

Hopefully the worst you will get is a warning, if so accept it and keep your nose clean until the time frame lasts.

Advertisement