Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice please...

• 19-11-2011 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭

Firstly, I have gained a serious amount of info from the thread here on how to apply and obtain a licence. I have been driving on a full car licence for 12 years, and have to do it all again for motorbike, but to be honest as much of a pain it is, it is a good thing ie new riders properly know how to ride a bike, and know the rules of the road through the IBT etc.

I have just applied for the theory test and will hopefully have my learners permit in the next 2 weeks or so, and doing module 1 in the ISM this friday.

I am looking at buying my first bike, and really dont know a huge amount about them, with the exception of what I have read on forums.

I can insure a bike up to 600cc with adalaide for under 700euro which is fine (ps really good guy there by the name of adrian, extremely helpful and knows his stuff on bikes, as he is a serious enthusiast himself)

The bikes I am currently looking at is

Virago 125
    CBR 250rr
    CB400
    CB1

I know there is quite a difference between them, ie power, road / race etc

However I really dont know which would be good for my first bike.
    I am told by everyone that I should just get "anything" to learn on, and when I have my full licence I can buy a bigger bike, which is pushing me towards the virago. The Honda CBR 250rr would be my favourite choice, and insurance is only 700e.

The advice I am looking for really is on what you would class as a good bike for someone learning to buy, for the reasons of 1 - being a learner, 2 - realible bike, 3 - not too expensive (1500e max), 4 - ride comfort

Besides donedeal and adverts, where is good to shop for 2nd hand bikes?

What bike did you learn on, was it good as a first bike and why?

Really appeciate feedback here, thanks.;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

You're gonna get all sorts of answers here, but here's mine: If you plan on staying on bikes, don't get a 125. I guarantee you'll be bored in no time!! A 250 is fine, but a 400 or 600 restricted would be a good option. The CB400 (Super Four) is a great bike!!! reliable, durable and very good to find your feet. If you get a Hornet 600 or Bandit 600 (restricted) they'd be fine for learning on and when the restriction comes off, they're a completely different bike too.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

You're gonna get all sorts of answers here, but here's mine: If you plan on staying on bikes, don't get a 125. I guarantee you'll be bored in no time!! A 250 is fine, but a 400 or 600 restricted would be a good option. The CB400 (Super Four) is a great bike!!! reliable, durable and very good to find your feet. If you get a Hornet 600 or Bandit 600 (restricted) they'd be fine for learning on and when the restriction comes off, they're a completely different bike too.

Best of luck!

Thats good advice thanks mate. I have heard if I buy a 125, Ill be snappin in no time so dont want to make the wrong choice....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

If you have been driving a car for the last 12 years, I am going to assume that you are about 30.

A 125 is fine for a 16 year old, but will bore you after about 6 weeks.

So, I agree about the CB400, or a restricted 600.

The other question is what do you want the bike for?
    Commuting
    Touring
    Fun?

P.C. wrote: »
    If you have been driving a car for the last 12 years, I am going to assume that you are about 30.

A 125 is fine for a 16 year old, but will bore you after about 6 weeks.

So, I agree about the CB400, or a restricted 600.

The other question is what do you want the bike for?
    Commuting
    Touring
    Fun?

Spot on, I am 30.

The main reason I am buying a bike is because I have 2 retail stores close to Dublin city centre, and the commute is madness between them.

I live in Lucan area, and shops are in Rathmines and Rathfarnham.

Peak traffic is 3-4 hours in the car with my journeys between home and the shops. It is a nitemare..... It is for commuting but will turn into touring and fun for sure...... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Do you need to carry things with you?

If you do, I would recomend a Honda Duville.
    It has some protection form the weather, and panniers.

• Advertisement

P.C. wrote: »
    Do you need to carry things with you?

If you do, I would recomend a Honda Duville.
    It has some protection form the weather, and panniers.

Nothing to carry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

The Deauville is still a decent bike though. 650 but won't scare you with power. Shaft driven so little/no maintenance on the bike itself. And has panniers if you need to carry anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

For a first bike getting full fairings is madness. He will drop it.

Advertisement