Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

footpath cleaning

• 19-11-2011 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Our concrete footpaths have gone green and we don't want to powerwash them - would anyone have any suggestions on how to clean them?
    Mods feel free to move if I have the wrong forum.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Why would you not want to powerwash them???

• Registered Users Posts: 38 onzie

We're reluctant to use a power washer because the footpaths are quite old concrete and we think the power washing will accelerate the crumbling process around the edges.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Bleach and water.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

salt then water and a yard brush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

BryanF wrote: »
    salt then water and a yard brush

Don't use salt. It will eat through old concrete and cause it to ravel within a few weeks. Power washing would be far less severe than salt!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Chlorus from agri. shop, dilute 5/1 apply when the paths are damp,give it a rub of a brush and wash off after an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 onzie

Thanks for the replies - I think there is probably a long enough footpath to try out each solution!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You are right to be very careful with your paths and not to do anything that is too abrasive. But any of these chemical agents is going to have an impact on your path, and it will be very difficult to wash the chemical away fully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If a pressure washer is going to dissolve the path, then algae isn't the only problem you have. I pressure wash mine and they come up like new.

I would suggest bleach as the obvious alternative.

Advertisement