Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

list of products that are beating inflation

• 20-11-2011 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this but I was wondering if we could make a list of products/ brands in Ireland today that are still priced really low and are good value. For example, I only found out the other day that chomps are 25 cent, as are animal bars; this surprised me because I notice that most chocolate bars nowadays hover between the 80 cent and 1 euro mark.
    I got a wham bar for 17 cent the other day too :pac:

When we were all kids you got much more for a pound eg. 12 years ago you would definitely have got 4 mars bars for a pound... now you'd get 1 for like 90 cent or so... surely even taking into account the euro changeover, that's over and above general inflation? I haven't bought an individual bar in a shop for a good while now because I always see it as overcharging to spend basically a "whole" euro on one!

So any other products that are resisting inflation like a boss?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I cant say I can think of anything but Chomps were 12p!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

wmpdd3 wrote: »

That's this thread screwed.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

wmpdd3 wrote: »

but didn't they go up from 10p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

yuppies wrote: »
    I haven't bought an individual bar in a shop for a good while now because I always see it as overcharging to spend basically a "whole" euro on one!
    Neither have I, and I am surprised anybody does. I can remember prices from ~25years ago, I have always worked out prices, even as a kid. I would buy mutlipacks back then and can tell you the discounts were nothing compared to what you get today.

I still have twixes in my press from this offer, only 4 weeks ago.
    rubadub wrote: »
    Groceries: tesco bounty/twix/mars/snickers half price 5 packs

offer valid from 5/10/2011 until 24/10/2011

price is 1.25-1.29, full size bars (some other bars like dairy milk are about 40g these days and look regular)

twix's and mars are not showing up online but were in store, no bounties were in my shop but showing online. Snickers online shows a +2 free pack, but I doubt you will get that.

So these twixes were ~25cent each. The cheapest I remember them in the 80s was 22p, so with euro to punt conversion I got the cheaper 25 years on, never mind inflation. Bars are readily available at 5 for €2.

Tins of roses etc have probably come down in price too, they are often cheaper per gram than bars now, and were never that way years ago.

The other thing to come down is alcohol, when I started drinking ~20 years ago your cheapest can, usually royal dutch was £1, which is €1.27. Bottles of heineken etc were £1.19-1.29 (~€1.60), which are easily got for €1 or less these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah, booze is a good example, when I started drinking in pubs it was £2.00 for a vodka and a dash. (€2.56), not a club in town is doing all drinks for €2.50 but they are the exception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

I remember 7p Chomps! I think they were special ones that were orange in the middle? Or was that some other bar? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Cherrycola wrote: »
    I remember 7p Chomps! I think they were special ones that were orange in the middle? Or was that some other bar? :confused:

I remember when the Mars bar went up to 5p, part of the decimalization.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think those orange bars were smileys, very similar.

I don't remember 7p chomps, I do remember 10p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

tayto at 12p
    wouldnt buy them now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,719 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I used to pay 2d for Tayto. When the extra large bags came out first they were 15p.

• Advertisement

Smileys, thats them!!! :D:D

I remember 13p Tayto(very precise, i know!), and it was the spring onion flavour, i think they were in a green pack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,719 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Tayto never did Spring Onion I dont think. Just C+A, S+V and SB. Think the green SO were Golden Wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Tayto never did Spring Onion I dont think. Just C+A, S+V and SB. Think the green SO were Golden Wonder.

Cherrycolas's right - I remember a Spring Onion flavour too - didn't last long like Cadet Lemon Soda & Lime.

I find Detergents are pretty keenly priced all year and have the best BOGOFs and Extra%'s free.

Yes they did, i remember cos i loved then. :D The pack was just like the cheese and onion ones, but a light green colour where the red is.

They seem to still do spring onion in NI, but not here unfortunately. :(

Advertisement