Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IPad 2 stylus

• 20-11-2011 1:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

I'm really interested in starting to sketch on my iPad 2. I've got sketchbook pro and now I'm looking to get the the best possible stylus for sketching.

Has anyone used their iPad for art here and if they have a stylus could they recommend theirs???.

Cheers :).

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I've heard good things about wacom's bamboo stylus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I just use my finger

zVSlV.jpg
    3hYAcl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭musicmonky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I have the iStroke and to be quite honest, it is rubbish.

I'm not a doodler, or anything remotely resembling arty, but for general use, it is utterly useless. Use the eraser end of a pencil, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Thanks guys. From all the reviews online it seems the bamboo seems to be the one to get.
    I've tried to do some stuff with my finger but it doesn't match anything I can do with a pencil and paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

BanjoB wrote: »
    I've tried to do some stuff with my finger but it doesn't match anything I can do with a pencil and paper.

It will never match pencil and paper in my opinion. I got a load of different stylus's for use in college, as I was planning to take notes that way. The iPad just isn't accurate enough with any stylus in my opinion. Its designed nearly exclusively for use with one's finger, so anything smaller and your outside the design remit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I know this is an old thread but I'm also looking for a stylus to use for college.
    I've downloaded penultimate and it's fantastic but I need a stylus to really utilise it efficiently.
    I haven't looked at a lot of them but they all seem to have a wide base which makes me think they'll be inaccurate.
    I also want to use the stylus for a bit of drawing and I can't get enough control with my fingers.
    So any recommendations?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

They all have finger-tip sized tips, otherwise the device wouldn't recognise them as a touch.

I use the Maglus, which is the best I've found so far: http://the-maglus.myshopify.com/products/the-new-maglus-stylus

vinnycoyne wrote: »
    They all have finger-tip sized tips, otherwise the device wouldn't recognise them as a touch.

I use the Maglus, which is the best I've found so far: http://the-maglus.myshopify.com/products/the-new-maglus-stylus

This one looks very interesting. How is it for writing, like is it smooth or does it kind of 'cling' to the screen like a finger might at the wrong angle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

BanjoB wrote: »
    Hi guys.

I'm really interested in starting to sketch on my iPad 2. I've got sketchbook pro and now I'm looking to get the the best possible stylus for sketching.

Has anyone used their iPad for art here and if they have a stylus could they recommend theirs???.

Cheers :).

If Steve Jobs could only hear you now! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Cheers vinny, was looking for one myself..thats the neatest one so far...ordered! :)

edit: just noticed they're an irish company!

What do you guys think of this? It seems to be the most accurate one on the market and would probably be around the same price as the maglus.

http://adonit.net/product/jot-pro/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

kjl wrote: »
    I just use my finger

zVSlV.jpg
    3hYAcl.jpg

Did you draw these with only your fingers ???

wow !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

1ZRed wrote: »
    This one looks very interesting. How is it for writing, like is it smooth or does it kind of 'cling' to the screen like a finger might at the wrong angle?

There's a tiny bit of a delay between touch and display on screen, if that's what you mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭ablelocks

this might suit the more arty of us (i'll be getting one, but for the kids, I can barely draw breath)

sensu brush

splash-03.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

I use this. It's cheap and you get two. I use them mostly for doodling in Paper and think they're good. They're about the length of an iPhone and very light, which might some people off but I like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 andrewshawire

Hey Guys,
    Andy here from Applydea, and one of the designers behind the Maglus Stylus.

If you guys have any questions about our stylus feel free .

Andy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

What do you guys think of this? It seems to be the most accurate one on the market and would probably be around the same price as the maglus.

http://adonit.net/product/jot-pro/

I bought one of those for my husband last year - it works very well for me, but less well for him. He's a lefty and touches the screen with his hands, so I'm thinking the problem would be there regardless of the chosen stylus. I love that you feel you've got proper control with the crosshair.

There's a tiny bit of a delay between touch and display on screen, if that's what you mean.

Not exactly. I mean like when you use your finger, sometimes there can be a bit of friction between that and the screen, so your finger ends up jutting across the display. I was wondering if the same can happen with the stylus?

• Advertisement

Not exactly. I mean like when you use your finger, sometimes there can be a bit of friction between that and the screen, so your finger ends up jutting across the display. I was wondering if the same can happen with the stylus?

No, can't say I've ever noticed that.

Advertisement