Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Erasmus?

• 20-11-2011 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi there!
    I'm thinking of going on an Erasmus to France next year, but French isn't part of my degree, so since my leaving cert a year and a half ago (got honours A2) I haven't spoken a word. I am however really interested in the language and was disappointed when my degree was too "intensive" to take on an extra module in French.
    My lack of French-fluency had basically put me off doing an Erasmus, but then I spoke to two students who went to France with a similar level + an intensive language course in the run-up and they got on grand.
    The spontaneous part of me wants to go, mais je n'ai pas beaucoup de Francais en ce moment! I would take lessons in the run-up, but am I being naive in thinking that I would just find a way to cope, considering that don't study French in my degree?
    Thanks for any feedback!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 yourmother10

Hi, I'm in a similar situation myself! Would love to go to France (Toulouse) on Erasmus but again worried about the language having not done it in College. Have you looked much into it? Sorry not really an answer to your question !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I went to Toulouse on Erasmus a few years ago. I studied French in college. At the beginning of the year, there was a language assessment, and people were either put into streamed language classes based on ability or exempted from them altogether (as I was). One of the Irish lads hadn't done French since the LC, and had to put a bit more effort into it than other people. The language side of things is tough for everyone in the beginning, but after a few months difficulties begin to fade. You get used to it.

I had one class where the lecturer basically dictated notes to us, and in week 1 my page was the odd word with gaps everywhere. By the end of the semester, I rarely missed a word, and even still I could probably guess as to what it was.

Most people I know who have done Erasmus have said that the teachers are generally accomodating, and I'd agree. If you're having an issue, they may be willing to email you their slides. Depending on the college you may get more time in exams.

You have to stumble through it at the beginning, but you'll find your way. Unfortunately, some of the more interaction heavy stuff (getting a place to live, college registration, etc.) is at the start when your French won't be great, but everyone I knew when i was there managed.

Erasmus societies are usually really helpful and a very good idea to be a part of for your stay.

Best year of your life if you do go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 yellow meadows

Hi, my daughter is going to Toulouse on Erasmus this semester.how did you find getting accomadation?was it a safe place, streets,campus?

Advertisement