Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sat nav

• 20-11-2011 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi
    I am thinking of buying a sat nav. What makes are good . What would I need to get on them . Is the new motorway to Waterford on them yet without having to pay the €80 to update. Thanks .All help appreciated

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Garmin and TomTom are the most popular.
    Both have up to date maps and you can check online what's in the most recent map.

Prob best off asking over here though - GPS forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=889

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Depending how much you're going to use it, I'd recommend putting the money to a decent phone & downloading sat nav.
    I have a garmin but never gets used any more, and I found it too cumbersome to update.
    For the last 18 months I've just used a smart phone and bought an app (I got co-pilot which was about £25 for Ire/UK). The advantage is I always have it with me and have a good phone. There are also free sat nav options too - google maps for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

amby666 wrote: »
    Depending how much you're going to use it, I'd recommend putting the money to a decent phone & downloading sat nav.
    I have a garmin but never gets used any more, and I found it too cumbersome to update.
    For the last 18 months I've just used a smart phone and bought an app (I got co-pilot which was about £25 for Ire/UK). The advantage is I always have it with me and have a good phone. There are also free sat nav options too - google maps for example.

This is a good option - with the proviso that your not using it aboard - the data roaming rates are a killer on smart phones - if you are somewhere like france.

You can get a decent refurbished tom tom or garmin from about 60 euro - and get a single map update - (either in Halfords or on some of the online stores - such as Amazon).
    I have an e-series nokia with the free maps and also an iphone with tom-tom - however I still tend to use my tom tom - esp driving abroad because of the data charging.
    Also I find the screen on the phones a bit small and the gps lock at bit slower than the tom tom.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The TomTom and Garmin are the most up to date over any others. As has been said downloading maps abroad is an expensive procedure. I have seen some people end up with bigger bills than the cost of a good sat nav. TomTom device get a quicker lock by using Quick GPS fix. The devices download future locations of the satellites positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 offlineuser

One of the cheapest manufacturers of portable GPS devices is...

"Binatone"

they have new gps systems for £60...

check them out at various large retailing sites.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I made the mistake off buying cheap and cheerful in the past. Its not worth it.
    Garmin or Tom Tom are the only ones I'd ever recommend.

Advertisement