Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convention Centre Blues - Glen Campbell

Options
  • 20-11-2011 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

Had a totally surreal experience at the Glen Campbell show in the Convention Centre. Show starts off well with Glen in rare form (and he's not a well man), passable sound and a nice lightshow. The monitor mix was totally off judging by the signaling and comments onstage. About a third of the way into the show the house lights come on, FULL!! All of the carefully accumulated mojo is immediately destroyed by the ceiling-mounted corporate klieg lights.
    And then they STAYED ON.......for like half-an-hour!! Like, there is no production manager in Convention Centre - a person who knows where the light dimmers are!

I mean, in a shoddy hotel with a 7 euro door I could understand this, but Convention Centre hosting a major label artist with a €52/€57 ticket price (and a 6 euro booking fee!)?

There was no explanation or apology after the show, so I'll never be back and I'll be telling everyone I know never to go there too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

t'was a proper disgrace. really annoyed me.

a living legend's goodbye tour, one night only, ...and they can't get the f!!king lights right! took ages to dim them, and inbetween that they were fading sporadically before powering up to full brightness and then fading in/out again. joke.

it really broke the flow of the show, and I think it threw him a little too. with the glare of the lights on full whack, it looked like he was really having to squint more at the autocue he was depending on.
    so, between that and having to shake a hundred hands while perfoming, I thought he done bloody good! ...and particularly for a 75 year old with alzheimers

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

Yes, the show was definitely derailed by the house lights fiasco. Security was non-existant too: the first couple of 'hand-shaking' incidents were kind of nice, but when they kept coming it was clearly inappropriate; at this point security/ushers should have stepped in, yet it was only towards the end that the ushers started deterring prospective hand-shakers.

If Convention Centre is going to book large events and accept the 'phat stacks', then they're going to have to provide an acceptable service and a professional-grade level of support for these bookings. I feel bad for GC & Co. because they really put together a great tour with fantastic musicians and CC really let them down. BTW the new material sounded really good too!

Advertisement