Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you click on the little downwards facing arrow...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Another discovery! Brace yourselves 'cause this one is a doozy.

You know when you are reading away at a thread, as you do. Well you scroll down as you are reading the posts. Then you get to the end of the page and want to get back into the After Hours main page. What do you do? Well what I do is I scroll all the way back to the top of the page to locate the very handy blue After Hours hyperlink thing. You know the one? 'boards.ie > Rec > After Hours > If you click on the little downwards facing arrow...' That shit is hidden away at the bottom of the page too. No, I mean it, it's really there. It's right down there. No more pointless up scrolling for me. Everything is coming up Milhouse! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭shuvly

strobe wrote: »
    Another discovery! Brace yourselves 'cause this one is a doozy.

You know when you are reading away at a thread, as you do. Well you scroll down as you are reading the posts. Then you get to the end of the page and want to get back into the After Hours main page. What do you do? Well what I do is I scroll all the way back to the top of the page to locate the very handy blue After Hours hyperlink thing. You know the one? 'boards.ie > Rec > After Hours > If you click on the little downwards facing arrow...' That shit is hidden away at the bottom of the page too. No, I mean it, it's really there. It's right down there. No more pointless up scrolling for me. Everything is coming up Milhouse! :cool:

yep, ur so right, and when I read that i just felt so enthus............oops ..doozy me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

'boards.ie > Rec > After Hours >
    I believe they're called "bread crumbs".

If you use the beta skin, they're fixed to the top of the page under the fixed menu.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I believe they're called "bread crumbs".

If you use the beta skin, they're fixed to the top of the page under the fixed menu.

I've heard talk of this beta skin man. What's the deal? What is it and how to I avail of it's luxurious benefits?

I've heard talk of this beta skin man. What's the deal? What is it and how to I avail of it's luxurious benefits?
    You know, I can't remember. It used to be at the bottom of every page iirc, but it's not any more.

Probably in your User CP somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Is there an easy way of finding if someone quoted you in a thread. I hate when you are in a conversation/argument and the next day you come back to see the thread is 20 pages long. I cant be bothered my ass usually reading all of the replies but if someone quoted one of my posts I would like to give them the courtesy of replying. I know in stats you can find thanked posts but no quoted posts.

Is there an easy way of finding if someone quoted you in a thread. I hate when you are in a conversation/argument and the next day you come back to see the thread is 20 pages long. I cant be bothered my ass usually reading all of the replies but if someone quoted one of my posts I would like to give them the courtesy of replying. I know in stats you can find thanked posts but no quoted posts.

Yep yep yep. I have this one down. What you need to do Car is you open the thread and click the 'search this thread' white thing in the blue bar at the top right hand corner of your computerised screen mechanism. Then just type your username in there. Any post with a mention of your user name, including when someone quoted you, will come up in an easy to navigate list. Boom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Is there an easy way of finding if someone quoted you in a thread.

That would be a nice feature.

I've often gone back to a thread and seen that someone addressed me directly in a post and thought 'ah feck - must think I'm an ignorant fukker'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Nice one strobe:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Why can some people swear but other people get ****ed?

Fucking n00b.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Bullchomper

Quazzie wrote: »
    If you delete the System32 folder from your computer it loads webpages faster.

I was just about to follow this instruction, and then I realised I'm nearing the end of wine bottle and following instruction at this level of a bottle is generally ill advised. But I'll definitely do it this far down the second bottle and laugh at my blank blinking screen....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭davetherave

bluewolf wrote: »
    you know if you highlight the envelope on the far left beside a thread, it'll say "you have x posts in this thread, last one at ..."
    The_B_Man wrote: »
    If you click the little paperclip/attachment icon to the right of the thread title, it will display a list of all attachments in the thread!

I have wasted my life...... :(:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Fucking n00b.

Now,now...we all have to start somewhere El Weirdo.....if that`s even your real name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

fuck off? really? shit thats cool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I just figured this out recently and I thought I was slow on the uptake! :pac:

Oh, I am all over this one. Man, what you do is, you open the thread. Then in the top right hand corner there is an option that says 'search this thread', click on that mother fucker. Then a little search box thing will drop down and under it in blue text there will be a dealy that says 'Advanced Search'. Click on that mother fucker too. A screen will pop up with search boxes with options to 'search by keyword' or 'search by user name'. Type your user name into the second bad boy there and hit enter on that bitch. All the posts you made in the thread will materialise. The shit's like magic yo.

I can't seem to get this to work for me any more can someone help me out?

When I click on advanced search I get this page which goes off thread.

I can't seem to get this to work for me any more can someone help me out?

When I click on advanced search I get this page which goes off thread.

Hey Chuck, yeah when they upgraded to the 'new search function' *spits on ground*, the 'advanced search within thread', with it's 'search by username' function was a sad and innocent victim. :(
    Although 'Danny' assures us that they will at some point try to rectify the issue.

Since then the best option has been what Degag suggests earlier in the thread, below.
    Degag wrote: »
    Well, if you click on the number of posts in the thread, it brings up a list of members and their posts in that particular thread. If that makes sense

While in the list of members you can use the keyboad shortcut 'ctrl + f' to open a little search box you can type your username into to take you to your name in the list (for those threads where loads of people have posted in them and it's hard to find yourself).

Recently however, a new option has presented it's self. A brave and selfless soul known only by the mysterious and fictitiously prophetic moniker '28064212' has used some fashion of that computery black magic that some people seem so adept in to bring the 'advanced search in thread' function back to us all, like River Pheonix rising from the flames or some shit.

See post 2 in this thread. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056553774 (Also see post 1 for how to make post 2 do stuff).
    He also conjured up some other weird and fun and useful hacky computery stuff in that thread like adding 'Facebook/Google+' share buttons to boards and cutting down on whitespace and all other manner of goodies if you want to avail of them. All for free, out of the goodness of his heart, probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

strobe wrote:
    If you click on the little downwards facing arrow that is in front of the thread title, it takes you to your first unread post in the thread.
    Yes and all the years I have loved VBB i didnt know this until a few months ago!! (Then i discovered i could do it on OTHER software also! (IPB,etc))

Quite handy for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Many years ago I got lost in the hills of Wyoming and this Navajo tribe took me and let me stay with them. Well, after a short while learning their ways and eating nothing but Buffalo and wild berries, I fell in love with this gorgeous wild nineteen year old. Raven hair and piercing blue eyes with a soul to match. Making love to her was the first time I felt free. I felt at one with the world finally, like I was truly home at last.

Anyway, her name was downward facing arrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What is this "search" thing I often hear about? :eek: :p

Hey Chuck...

Thank you Sir.

Advertisement