Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modding 360 with a silent (or near to silent) fan

Options
  • 20-11-2011 4:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

A friend recently commented that my 360 was loud, I'd always thought it was normal, but then I heard his and it was much much quieter, although still loud.
    I've opened it up and poked about inside, the fan comes out quite easily, but reading online I keep coming across negative reviews on the replacement fan options.

Anyone have any positive experience with replacing the stock fan with something ALOT quieter? What was the make/model of the replacement used?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

The system fans are actually reasonably quiet on the 360, its the DVD Drive which causes the most noise by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

I replaced the fan in an old RROD xbox that i fixed. There is a very slight change in the sound difference, but nowhere near as loud as the DVD drive. But to solve that problem, just install the game to the HDD. I had bought a talisman whisper quiet fan btw. I would recommend it for the price it can be bought for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Meesared wrote: »
    The system fans are actually reasonably quiet on the 360, its the DVD Drive which causes the most noise by a mile.

Yeah recently my DVD drive has been making noise similar to that of a fighter jet.

I've got my games installed on my HDD but when I boot them, it sounds like an earthquake for about 5mins, then it quiets down to the normal sound, the same as when I'm on the dashboard.

Never happened before, only since MW3 came out. I'm hoping it's not the end of my Xbox, might just be dust build up.

Anyone have a similar experience? Advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Everybody who owns a 360 should do one thing with their new games - put them in and hit Y to install to hard drive.

It reduces noise and (more importantly) wear & tear on the DVD laser. Of course you still need to have the disc in to play an installed game, but there'll be no more jumbo jet coming out of a 8,000rpm DVD drive.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Yeah recently my DVD drive has been making noise similar to that of a fighter jet.

I've got my games installed on my HDD but when I boot them, it sounds like an earthquake for about 5mins, then it quiets down to the normal sound, the same as when I'm on the dashboard.

Never happened before, only since MW3 came out. I'm hoping it's not the end of my Xbox, might just be dust build up.

Anyone have a similar experience? Advice?

It's just the new disc format (XGD3). There's no need to worry about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Well, I'm worried about the hurricane coming from my Xbox. Is this going to happen for all new games?

Also, I gave the back of the Xbox a hoovering and it has quietened down a good bit.

Yup, all games from now on are in this format.

Hoovering is helpful, but you could open up the xbox and hoover the motherboard, lots and lots of dust build up on them. I had a launch model 360, which has been in use since launch, which i opened, and there was a 3mm thick layer of dust.

Advertisement