Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LAPTOP WILL NOT SWITCH ON

• 20-11-2011 5:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Can some one help me here, my kids will not tell me the truth, but the Laptop will not switch on at all, no sign power entering the laptop.no sound nothing at all,The laptop was working perfectly before.they came to me when i camee from work that something is broken from the battery and that is causing it not to switch on, i asked them did you dropped it,they said no,have asked them several times but they said they did not dropped it,i said ok why don't we try the direct switching on with the cable and i tried that myself but nothing at all,not a single light on the laptop,no hearing of any sound like fan working, i say nothing,i have taken out the battery and tried with the power cable nothing at all, not a single light shows up,the power adaptor is good have tried in a friends laptop.have taken out the HDD and the CD drive to try power up no sign ,don't know what to do again,please help.so am sure its not the HDD and the CD drive, any suggestions please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Just tell them you love them and promise not to beat them.

When you get the credit card bill for the new laptop, thats when you beat the head off them.

Any physical sign of a drop or water damage? Any smell of scorched electronics coming out of either the power supply or the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mugabe

Overheal wrote: »
    Just tell them you love them and promise not to beat them.

When you get the credit card bill for the new laptop, thats when you beat the head off them.

Any physical sign of a drop or water damage? Any smell of scorched electronics coming out of either the power supply or the laptop?

No pysical damage,no smell,no water damage, and is out of waraty as well,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Have you checked the fuse in the plug and that there is power to the socket you are using.

Also if you have a meter check that there is power coming out of the adapter.

It could just be the adapter has stopped working and the battery is flat.

Have checked the power suply with a friend laptop and it's working ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

sounds like the motherboard is dead .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

how old is the laptop and what model is it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 sqwarez

Does the plug fit in the jack as tight as it did before? Maybe they tripped the cable and broke the jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JackCharlton

if there is no power going into the laptop and it wont turn on then it points to the charger,
    try it using a different charger ..thats the first thing to rule out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 sqwarez

^ The charger works for another laptop. You should read the whole thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Morpork

As sqwarez has said, check the jack for signs of damage. If it's not a problem with the jack it's a dead motherboard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

well the charger is working as you say, if it was dropped then the circuitry on the main-board must be cracked. you need to ask exactly what happened to narrow the problem down. it sure looks like it was dropped. look around the sides and underneath the laptop for a large scrape or crack.

I think they have confessed last night that it fell down from the table in their room,its a normal office size table,the laptop is samsung R519,its about 1 year 8 months old.the battery life was about 1 hrs before,and well,don't know its the strangest i have come accross .supply is working with a friend laptop and have used the friend power supply to try my laptop but nothing. Thanks in advance for your help

mugabe wrote: »
    I think they have confessed last night that it fell down from the table in their room,its a normal office size table,the laptop is samsung R519,its about 1 year 8 months old.the battery life was about 1 hrs before,and well,don't know its the strangest i have come accross .supply is working with a friend laptop and have used the friend power supply to try my laptop but nothing. Thanks in advance for your help

well if the laptop fell forsure then it could be a cracked circuit on the motherboard or the cpu was unseated with the bang and also a power connector could have been unseated as well so the only real thing you can do in this case is to leave it in for computer repair. the first thing usually to go if dropped is the monitor but if you know a friend or someone that fixes computers they could look over it and who know's it might just be a minor problem. either way the laptop will have to be disassembled for inspection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I have the opposite problem, my laptop is a toshiba and is one year old and used continuously and wont close down,If its not in charge mode the battery will just die out other wise it stays on & on & on. This started about a month ago, Any reason for this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Reelax Mugabe you'll give yourself angina!

Try someone elses charger in case the battery is empty and charger is just broken.
    To get data off it you may need to go and get robbed by a computer store but there are DIY methods.

So anyway...
    I was carrying my Sony Vaoi laptop in an (argos) case and one of the straps went and it fell on the ground wouldn't turn on, I thought well thats that, thought it was the motherboard thought no point replacing.

Six months later I was going through junk decided to turn it on and it came on, been working grand for two years so keep it handy

Don't get mad at your own children you shouldn't of let them near it, should of been locked in a secret castle if thats what it took.

realies wrote: »
    I have the opposite problem, my laptop is a toshiba and is one year old and used continuously and wont close down,If its not in charge mode the battery will just die out other wise it stays on & on & on. This started about a month ago, Any reason for this ?

time for a new battery anyway. other than that you will need the operating system disc win 95/98/me/xp/vista/ or 7 disc whatever operating system you are using and stick it in and do a repair of CHKDSK usually fixes startup and shutdown problems. also a SFC /SCANNOW would be worthwhile just incase there are corrupt system files relating to your shutdown problem. click windows logo button of your desktop if it is windows vista/win 7 and click all programs then accessories then right click command prompt and run as administrator and type in CHKDSK let it finish and then when chkdsk is finished type in SFC /SCANNOW there is a space between sfc /scannow. basic system checks on system files but they fix alot of these problems.

saa wrote: »
    Try someone elses charger in case the battery is empty and charger is just broken.

the charger is fine he say's.

there is a test you can try. plug the charger in to the laptop connector and look closely at the part of the laptop where the lights usually come on, then move the head of the charger connector slowly left then right and up/down don't giggle it just move it slowly and keep the movement tight on each try while looking at the area where the lights usually show and see do you notice any lights coming on for the split second you do this. it's just a test just to see if there is a problem with the laptop internal connection. worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭t5pwr

Try this,

Take out the battery and unplug it from the mains.
    Hold down the power button for about 1 minute.
    Put the battery back in and plug it in.

Sometimes static can build up and stop a computer from starting up and this will get rid of the static.

Although it if it was dropped then chances are it's damaged :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

zenno wrote: »
    the charger is fine he say's.

Yeah I saw that but wasn't bothered taking out of the post he knows its fine, I know its fine you know its fine..

Advertisement