Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Build

Options
  • 20-11-2011 6:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

HI guys,

Once again, I am building my pc with hopes to purchase in January, Any thoughts on the build??? Wanted to get everything for a long lasting gaming pc with a €1500 limit, still have to add keyboard, mouse, and cpu cooler but am looking at the razer ultimate mechanical keyboard.
    Will probably oc in the future (once I learn how) so got the bigger psu.

Any thoughts or suggestions let me know, cheers :D:D:D

Sum:
    1.383,46 €
    Article No. HV20I5K5DE
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155
    185,73 €

Article No. HV1139ULDE
    ASUS P8P67 EVO Rev 3.0, Sockel 1155, ATX, DDR3
    136,67 €

Article No. HV1027SJDE
    Sapphire HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express
    301,71 €

Article No. HV20CD20DE
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance blau PC3-14900U CL9
    57,11 €

Article No. HV12C8FADE
    Corsair Force A 80GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") SATA
    107,99 €

Article No. HVR750TXDE
    Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX750M, 750Watt
    98,23 €

Article No. HV13WSB1DE
    WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 8,9cm(3,5")
    169,00 €

Article No. HV207SR3DE
    Samsung SH-222AB Retail schwarz
    20,99 €

Article No. HV20C25BDE
    Lian Li Aluminium-Cardreader CR-25B, schwarz
    15,71 €

Article No. HV21I4BSDE
    iiyama ProLite B2409HDS-B1, schwarz
    176,45 €

Article No. HV203T18DE
    Thermaltake Chaser MK-I, ohne Netzteil

113,87 €

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

Looks nice. If it was my build, I'd spring for a 120GB SSD, and hold off on getting the 1TB drive until prices return to normal (expected to happen in the first quarter of 2012). I wouldn't mind waiting the three months, and I don't keep much media so this might not apply to you.

There isn't much to overclocking these days. You just adjust values in the BIOS. The 2500k is amazing for overclocking, so good choice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Come back in January. AMD are rumoured to have new cards next month, Intel are releasing their new processors in the first quarter (some say January, others say March) and hopefully hard drive prices will have come down.

750W is way over your needs even with overclocking.
    Fast RAM won't be of much benefit, you could save money here.
    That's a last generation SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 akazzz

1) I suggest waiting in till dec until AMD releases their new gen gpus. that way the price of the 69xx series will drop, saving you some cash.

2) 550W is enough for your needs unless your planning to go CF/SLI. Then the 750W is perfect.

3) RAM, go for G.Skills Ripjaws-X 8GB DDR3 1600. Highly recommended. Check out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Yeah

To be honest I was just factoring in the ssd and the hard drive, was not really worried about the price as wont be until the new year so hopefully can get a decent hard drive by then.

I was only going to go for a small ssd and just use for booting up the os.

Will defo look into changing the ram was not sure how much I should be paying just sticking with a solid make and 8gb min.

Might lower the power supply too, I thought I would need a minimum of 700 for overclocking.

Have you any recommendations for cpu cooler? I want to overclock but not push the cpu too far was thinking about 4.5 ghz would be as far as I would dream of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 akazzz

From reports, prices of HDD won't recover by Q1-Q2 2012.

U don't need 700W for 1 6970 including overclocking. Invest in a good 550W PSU for long term usage, reliability and enough room to overclock ;)

The top 3 price/performance after market CPU coolers atm are CM Hyper 212+, Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B and Thermaltake HR-02 Macho.

For me, I`ll invest EUR35 for a Thermaltake HR-02 Macho. I've read 10 reviews of it so far, 10/10 of the reviewers gave it a gold award!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Have you any recommendations for cpu cooler? I want to overclock but not push the cpu too far was thinking about 4.5 ghz would be as far as I would dream of

You can push the 2500k from its stock 3.3Ghz to 4Ghz with the stock cooler no problem.

Thanks guys,

I suppose at the time if the hard drives havent dropped much I will go for a 120gb ssd and wait until they come down.

Will an overclock to 4.5 put too much pressure on the cpu or is this standard for an overclock?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

That's pretty standard. Up around 4.7-4.8 is where is starts to be hit or miss, and depend on what CPU batch you got.

Serephucus wrote: »
    That's pretty standard. Up around 4.7-4.8 is where is starts to be hit or miss, and depend on what CPU batch you got.

Ha ha ya lost me at cpu batch, Yeah I think I would only push it to about 4.5 at the most, from what I read yuou dont wanna push the voltages up too high or the cpu wont last very long.

• Advertisement

Ha ha ya lost me at cpu batch, Yeah I think I would only push it to about 4.5 at the most, from what I read yuou dont wanna push the voltages up too high or the cpu wont last very long.

Well CPUs, like most things are done in batches. Only so many loaves of bread will fit in an oven, only so many CPUs are viable from a wafer.

Each batch, for whatever reason, is slightly different. Slightly different variations in - to continue with the bread metaphor - dough ingredients, or cooking temperature, so this gives slightly different results with OCs.

I think it was AnanadTech posted something a while back, something like:

90% of CPUs will reach 4.5
    Of those, 50% will reach 4.6
    Of those, 10% will reach 4.8
    Of those, 2% will reach 5.0

Could be off, can't remember it really, but that gives you an idea.

And voltages are actually fine, as long as you can control the heat. My processor's max. spec. voltage is 1.375, but I've gone up to 1.42 with no problems what-so-ever, and this can be maintained 24/7 because my processor is watercooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

My processor's max. spec. voltage is 1.375, but I've gone up to 1.42 with no problems what-so-ever, and this can be maintained 24/7 because my processor is watercooled.

How're you finding watercooling? Worth the hassle of setting up? I've always been tempted by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Taking the above figures as an example. Would you see much benefit in pushing for faster than 4.5?

Ah to be honest I dont think I would be willing to push past 4.5, It would be too risky and would hate to spend all that money and brick the cpu.

Is watercooling much hassle, always had a fear of putting liquids near electronics! Altough I was considering the corsair hydro cpu cooler

nesf wrote: »
    How're you finding watercooling? Worth the hassle of setting up? I've always been tempted by it.

There is a lot of hassle, I'm not going to lie to you there. Overall though, I would say yes. If you have the money for it, and if you can do it right, there are a lot of benefits. The main one for me was silence. Between my WC setup and a PSU replacement, the loudest things in my rig are my hard drives now. It - finally - is quiet enough that I would call it, well, quiet enough. It's not silent - nothing will be, barr a fanless setup, but they're a mess to get right - but it's quiet enough that I forget it's on most of the time. The OC benefits are great too. (see sig)

Oh, and if you see people on a forum telling you that a 360 rad with three 1200RPM fans is silent, it's not. It's quiet-ish, as far as computers go, but for me, anything over about 7-800RPM is too noisy.

I don't know if it's any use to you, but I have a 360 radiator I'm not using any more, if you're interested. (Adverts), as well as spare fittings and tubing. Could help you with parts too - though you don't sound like you'd need it.
    Taking the above figures as an example. Would you see much benefit in pushing for faster than 4.5?

Not if you needed to replace your cooling to do it. Anything past 4.0 is good in my book, though maybe I should say 4.4 given how well these new chips clock.

I don't know if it's any use to you, but I have a 360 radiator I'm not using any more, if you're interested. (Adverts), as well as spare fittings and tubing. Could help you with parts too - though you don't sound like you'd need it.

Going to run off stock cooling at the moment. I might look into watercooling in a few months if I feel the need for another project.

To give you an idea, for my first-time watercooling:

20 - Case tear-down an removal of non-essentials
    30 - Removal of stock 580 cooler, cleaning, and mounting of block
    10 - Remove H50 and mount CPU block
    15 - Disassemble pump and install custom top
    20 - Mount pump and install GPU and tubing
    40 - Initial fill/run/bleed cycle
    120 - Monitoring of water level, topping up as necessary
    720 - Leak testing (same as above, checking every hour or so)

Now, this doesn't have to be done every time. If you're adding in a new block or something, you can test it seperately, and if it doesn't leak then you can just drain, install, fill, bleed, and go. That would take maybe two hours.

If you're the type of person who upgrades all the time, it's a bitch, I won't lie, but if you're only changing parts once or twice a year, it's fine. You get quicker at it too. I can install a 580 block in less than five minutes now, LOL

To give you an idea, for my first-time watercooling:

20 - Case tear-down an removal of non-essentials
    30 - Removal of stock 580 cooler, cleaning, and mounting of block
    10 - Remove H50 and mount CPU block
    15 - Disassemble pump and install custom top
    20 - Mount pump and install GPU and tubing
    40 - Initial fill/run/bleed cycle
    120 - Monitoring of water level, topping up as necessary
    720 - Leak testing (same as above, checking every hour or so)

Now, this doesn't have to be done every time. If you're adding in a new block or something, you can test it seperately, and if it doesn't leak then you can just drain, install, fill, bleed, and go. That would take maybe two hours.

If you're the type of person who upgrades all the time, it's a bitch, I won't lie, but if you're only changing parts once or twice a year, it's fine. You get quicker at it too. I can install a 580 block in less than five minutes now, LOL

Would something like this be the best of both worlds without the hassle?

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-h100-hydro-series-extreme-performance-cpu-cooler-s775-1155-1156-1366-2011-am2-am3

For CPU-only, yes. Though you pay for it. A dedicated loop might be better if you've got a hot CPU - like mine, versus a 2500K - or if you're going for extreme OCs, it would probably also be quieter. Thicker rad, better pump, what have you.

For GPUs, don't go near those sorts of things. The only ones out at the moment are by CoolIt, and are notorious, for a) failing in comparison to a good aftermarket air cooler, and b) breaking!

GPUs will also benefit more from a proper WC setup. My 580, even when OCed, doesn't go above 51°C, ever. :)

For CPU-only, yes. Though you pay for it. A dedicated loop might be better if you've got a hot CPU - like mine, versus a 2500K - or if you're going for extreme OCs, it would probably also be quieter. Thicker rad, better pump, what have you.

For GPUs, don't go near those sorts of things. The only ones out at the moment are by CoolIt, and are notorious, for a) failing in comparison to a good aftermarket air cooler, and b) breaking!

GPUs will also benefit more from a proper WC setup. My 580, even when OCed, doesn't go above 51°C, ever. :)

So... much... effort.... :D

• Advertisement

Most of it's fun, to be honest. If you like building new rigs, etc. Then most of it - particularly the GPU block mounting - is great fun. The only real pain in the hole part is the initial bleeding. You pour in as much water as you can, turn on your PSU until the water drains from whatever you poured it into (res, t-line), then go again with pouring. If you get a reservoir though, you probably only have to refill it twice. I just didn't want one in my loop, though I'm thinking on including one now.

Most of it's fun, to be honest. If you like building new rigs, etc. Then most of it - particularly the GPU block mounting - is great fun. The only real pain in the hole part is the initial bleeding. You pour in as much water as you can, turn on your PSU until the water drains from whatever you poured it into (res, t-line), then go again with pouring. If you get a reservoir though, you probably only have to refill it twice. I just didn't want one in my loop, though I'm thinking on including one now.

Yeah the tinkerer in me loves the idea. The rational part of my brain is pointing out that I don't care that much about overclocking in the first place so...

nesf wrote: »
    Yeah the tinkerer in me loves the idea. The rational part of my brain is pointing out that I don't care that much about overclocking in the first place so...

Do you care about noise? :)

Do you care about noise? :)

Yes. But I'm fairly tolerant of it. A near silent machine would be lovely but don't care enormously (play with headphones normally anyway).

Advertisement