Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSMS (Subclass 857 Visa)- Permanent Visa?

Options
  • 20-11-2011 7:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I've acquired a Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme Visa in June and am sponsored to work in a regional area in Oz for 2 years. However, I hope to travel for a year or 2 when thats up, then possibly come back here.

But I was wondering will I have full permanent residency when the 2 years are complete and can I come and go to Oz as I please in the future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

It already is fully permanent, the only thing is you have to work for 2 years in the Regional area otherwise it can be revoked.

Once you have done your 2 years you can live anywhere, the RSMS visa is the same as every other PR visa in that it only lasts for 5 years.

If you are intending travelling in and out of Oz in the future you need to make sure you live in Australia for at least 2 years out of every 5 so you dont lose your Permanent residency.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

mandrake04 wrote: »
    It already is fully permanent, the only thing is you have to work for 2 years in the Regional area otherwise it can be revoked.

Once you have done your 2 years you can live anywhere, the RSMS visa is the same as every other PR visa in that it only lasts for 5 years.

If you are intending travelling in and out of Oz in the future you need to make sure you live in Australia for at least 2 years out of every 5 so you dont lose your Permanent residency.

Ah, cheers for clearing that up for me! When my 2 years are up I was thinking of giving things a go elsewhere (was thinking maybe Canada or UK) for a few years. So worse case scenario I can travel elsewhere for 6 years when my 2 years in the regional area are up before I have to come back and work here for another 2... am I right in saying that?

Thanks again for your advice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Undertow wrote: »
    Ah, cheers for clearing that up for me! When my 2 years are up I was thinking of giving things a go elsewhere (was thinking maybe Canada or UK) for a few years. So worse case scenario I can travel elsewhere for 6 years when my 2 years in the regional area are up before I have to come back and work here for another 2... am I right in saying that?

Thanks again for your advice! :)

Well if you were granted a RSMS in June then as long as you work in that regional area until June 2013 then you have fulfilled the RSMS.

In doing so you simultaneously have also fulfilled the requirement for a Residents return visa which requires you to live 2 years out of 5 in Australia. Once it hits June 2016 your RSMS is no longer valid for travel in and out of Australia, so you would apply for a RRV and that will do you for another 5 years. So you should be good until June 2021.

Your other option is if you have been in Australia for a total of 4 years (of which 12 months is Permanent resident) you can become a Citizen and no more worries about visa's.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Ok. So basically a lot of doors open for me once I complete these 2 years in a Regional area! :) I wasnt aware of the RRV, or citzenship after 4 years living in Oz either! Permanent Residency also entitles me to live and work in NZ too yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pierinho

hey guys sorry but i'm new here and i don't really know how to use this forum!!!

i've granted a permanent visa in august 2011 (RSMS sub 857) in Tasmania!!!

now, i really need to change work place, managers and work"mate".....my life became impossible, they have no respect and think that work is actually a joke!!!!
    i'm not comfortable anymore here,working every weekends coz they just want to go out and get drunk!!!
    i'm sick to be a baker and would like to get something different!!
    i would like to know what should i do to change job without loosing my residency, if i can move to other regional state(preferred) or if i need to find another sponsorship in a bakery or just another casual employment!!!

so please, if u know something let me know!!!!
    i'll be very grateful!!!
    peace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Just want to Bump this and see if any one has any extra info or can share a personal experience.

Employed as a Town Planner working in a Regional Area on 457 visa. I have been employed in the position for 1.5 years. My partner is on my visa as a defacto. The 457 was approved 12 months ago but we have decided apply change for the 857 before 1 July.

First question

Is it likley that the position nomination be approved ?

I am aware there is no fee for nominating a position but we would like to lodge it all at the same time.

Given the fact that a nomination for the position was approved 12 months ago for the 457 visa will this be of any benefit?

Second question

Is it likely that I will i meet the eligibility requirements?

My English is proficient

I hold a Masters

I have applied for police clearance from Ireland and Australia

I will comply with the Health requirements

I meet the age criteria

Third question

Is there a rush to make this application before 1 July?

I have heard that a fee for including de facto on an application will be introduced after this date? Is there likely t be many more increases in cost.

I have done quite a bit of research. I am nearly sure I meet the requirements and I hope that as my nominated position was approved for 457 last year that this shows an indication that the position nomination would be approved for the 857.

Thanks for reading, and I appreciate any feedback.

Advertisement