Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do with 11 acres of land....

Options
  • 20-11-2011 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭

Decided to ask this here instead of Property/Building/Farming.

I have an opportunity to buy a house in the heartland or rural Co Meath (Summerhill. 15-20km from Trim, Navan, Dunboyne, Dunshaughlin Kilcock). The house comes with 11 acres of green pasture, 10 of which lets face it, I'm not gonna need.

Any suggestions on how I could capitalize on the use of this land and scrape back money from it? Rent it out to other farmers? Divide it into acres and allow people to "hobby farm" that would not normally have access to farms? Grow trees for cultivation? Try and sell the land on? Run a music festival every year? :)

I'm not in the position to set up and run my own farm.

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Pope John 11

You could set up or let one acre out for persons to set up their own poly tunnels to grow their own fruit and veg.

You could let another acre go to potatoes or even talk to Mr. Taytoman.

Rent out the rest to some local farmer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Keep the acre around the house. Split off the rest. Keep any that has road frontage and sell the rest. Instant quids off your mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

newmug wrote: »
    Keep the acre around the house. Split off the rest. Keep any that has road frontage and sell the rest. Instant quids off your mortgage.

Celtic Tiger is over....... and if it was me, I wouldnt want neighbours and keep the house private.
    Rent out the land for farming use - good money to be made by farmers for milking, potatoes wheat etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

No love for the music festival then no?:)

I was thinking of contacting coillte also as I think there are substantial grants for tree planting. Not sure of rates but believe they are decent.

As regards to selling off an acre for planning permission, I would imagine this will be more hassle than its worth in the current climate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

abakan wrote: »
    Celtic Tiger is over....... and if it was me, I wouldnt want neighbours and keep the house private.
    Rent out the land for farming use - good money to be made by farmers for milking, potatoes wheat etc

Are you for real? Rent the land to farmers? I live 4 miles away from where the OP is talking about. Land rental prices are 100 Euro per acre per year. Land selling prices atre between 7000 - 10,000 per acre, and they're only going up.

No love for the music festival then no?:)

I was thinking of contacting coillte also as I think there are substantial grants for tree planting. Not sure of rates but believe they are decent.

As regards to selling off an acre for planning permission, I would imagine this will be more hassle than its worth in the current climate

Nobody said anything about selling land for planning permission / building. Split off 1 acre around your house for your own privacy, keep any road frontage for your kids, and sell the rest for agriculture. Forget coillte, and definately forget a "music festival". This thread is a case of "Spot the dub".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

I think that you should ask this question in the Farming Board.

Land at 100 per acre sounds cheap !! Does it have water and is it metered.

Fence off some land to grow your own food. You will never look back.

Buy 2 animals and apply for a herd number. Go to a Farm adviser and see if you can supplement your income.

So much can be done with a little time and work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

newmug wrote: »
    Are you for real? Rent the land to farmers? I live 4 miles away from where the OP is talking about. Land rental prices are 100 Euro per acre per year. Land selling prices atre between 7000 - 10,000 per acre, and they're only going up.

Nobody said anything about selling land for planning permission / building. Split off 1 acre around your house for your own privacy, keep any road frontage for your kids, and sell the rest for agriculture. Forget coillte, and definately forget a "music festival". This thread is a case of "Spot the dub".

I was going to give your last post a thanks but couldn't be bothered with the idiotic, ignorant spot the dub comment. You can keep guessing btw, I might be closer to you than you think..... unfortunately for me

Plant some firewood for yourself.

Alternatively: Smallholding forum

Advertisement