Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front sliding patio door

• 20-11-2011 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

How much have people paid for a front sliding door to keep the draft out? And can it be fitted this time of year?

Just looking for advice before I price around...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

If it's just a Patio door, stood into an opening, white PVc Double glazed, expect to pay a grand plus fitting.
    No problems fitting any time of the year.

If walls have to be added, or a roof put over the door, post a picture.

Get at least 3 quotes, and post the spec here for advice

remember with a patio door you get less than 1/2 the width of opening for access, so if you need to get in a pram, wheelchair, or other stuff in, be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

martinn123 wrote: »
    If it's just a Patio door, stood into an opening, white PVc Double glazed, expect to pay a grand plus fitting.
    No problems fitting any time of the year.

If walls have to be added, or a roof put over the door, post a picture.

Get at least 3 quotes, and post the spec here for advice

remember with a patio door you get less than 1/2 the width of opening for access, so if you need to get in a pram, wheelchair, or other stuff in, be careful.

SWEET JESUS!!

I`m actually looking into getting one, just a simple sliding door to keep out the breeze, here`s the kind of house I`m in and the kind of door I`d like..

Roughly how much, do you know of a good crowd?

lewis wrote: »
    SWEET JESUS!!

I`m actually looking into getting one, just a simple sliding door to keep out the breeze, here`s the kind of house I`m in and the kind of door I`d like..

Roughly how much, do you know of a good crowd?

You have a slight additional aspect here, from the picture it appears the brick is arched, so if you go for a PVC door with the PVC bent to match the arch, that will cost a few bob extra.
    I don't know what area you are in but suggest you talk to neighbours who have got the job done, and look carefully to see how the arch is formed.
    If its done right looks fine, but a badly fitted job will look shyte.
    See if you can get a few pic's of how the top of the doors are done and post
    Good Luck.
    BTY by plus fitting, its a half day job for a good fitter so no major cost there really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

martinn123 wrote: »
    You have a slight additional aspect here, from the picture it appears the brick is arched, so if you go for a PVC door with the PVC bent to match the arch, that will cost a few bob extra.
    I don't know what area you are in but suggest you talk to neighbours who have got the job done, and look carefully to see how the arch is formed.
    If its done right looks fine, but a badly fitted job will look shyte.
    See if you can get a few pic's of how the top of the doors are done and post
    Good Luck.
    BTY by plus fitting, its a half day job for a good fitter so no major cost there really.

So more than a grand, fup that.
    I was thinking it would be around €200-300.
    I don't want nothing flashy, just to keep the cold out and art a low price.

lewis wrote: »
    So more than a grand, fup that.
    I was thinking it would be around €200-300.
    I don't want nothing flashy, just to keep the cold out and art a low price.

Well in fairness, you won't buy a patio door even in a DIY store, for a couple of hundred, and then pay to have it fitted.
    Try one of the Second hand sites like, Donedeal etc.
    Measure the width, and height you may see something and fit it yourself

• Advertisement
Advertisement