Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't a clue.com

• 20-11-2011 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi,

My bedroom door is getting stuck, it's like it just swelled up one day.
    It's hard to close and open.
    Is this just something that will go away or do I need to sand it down or something?
    It's beside the bathroom, if that's any help...!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

I was always told by a painter that this happens when the door and/or the frame absorbs moisture and swells. Would you have unpainted doors and frames? He said the way to avoid the door swelling was to paint the top and under the bottom of the door. They are the two places where there is usually bare wood that can absorb moisture. Remove the door and sand (with a sander) the edges that shows rub marks. When the weather gets better paint the door-top and bottom. Another short term remedy is to stick a de-humidifier in the bathroom to remove the moisture from the door and frame.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭StinkySocs

enfield wrote: »
    I was always told by a painter that this happens when the door and/or the frame absorbs moisture and swells. Would you have unpainted doors and frames? He said the way to avoid the door swelling was to paint the top and under the bottom of the door. They are the two places where there is usually bare wood that can absorb moisture. Remove the door and sand (with a sander) the edges that shows rub marks. When the weather gets better paint the door-top and bottom. Another short term remedy is to stick a de-humidifier in the bathroom to remove the moisture from the door and frame.
    Cheers.
    Tom.
    Thanks Tom ill give it a go!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

I hope it works for you now, let us know how you get on.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

Advertisement