Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

michael buble latelate microphone

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Looks like it might have been a Sennheiser E965 although it's hard to tell as his hand is covering it in the close-up shots. Wouldn't rule out Neumann KMS or even a black Shure KSM9 either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 planxty1014

hi savman
    thanks for taking time out to reply.ive done some searches on your suggestions and i discovered some new(to me) interesting mikes. the kms 104 has spiked my interest.
    i love the sound captured on the late late by the mike. my early exploration of microphones was based on my innocent assumption that i wanted a a transparent sound on my recorded vocal .i bought a tlm 103 and after 3 years trying i gave up trying to get my vocal right. then it dawned on me that i was actually looking for a coloured sound so i retreated to my trusty sm 57 which ive been using to record my voice with better but not great results since.
    and then i heard the sound of bubles mike and i jumped up(ask the wife) and shouted thats the colour i want.she thought i was talking about bubles tan. anyways i digress.
    im looking to capture a roger whitticker type vocal up close and personal with a decent proximity effect with that grittiness in the bass end that just seems to lift the vocal track out of the mix. hard to explain exactly but its there in bubles vocal.
    any refined sugesstions welcome but im thinking that thanks to your suggestion im beginning to search in the right potato field

regards

Er...with respect, Buble's vocal mic is most likley going thru €10k worth of audio processing before it hits your TV, so it's not really an accurate representation of any mic tbh. I'm sure a trusty SM58 would have sounded equally as good, so I'd try get a better test in your own environment before paying over your hard earned dollars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 planxty1014

ah savman
    the voice of experience over the voice of innocent exhuberance. thank you and if i may launch my little dinghy into the waters of a perfect storm, would you be in a position to suggest what chrisy moores vocal chain might be from microphone to recorded tape
    regards

Again, if you are listening to DVD's or Albums then it's hard to differentiate between what might be the sound of a mic versus what is compressed and EQ'd afterwards.

You could try an SM58 into 10 different mixers, each preamp will colour the sound differently. Similarly use 10 different speakers and it will dilute things even further.

The point is, until you plug this stuff into a setup that resembles your own (or in a scenario that is similar to what you intend to use it for) then it will always be guesswork.

It's like choosing a Guitar based on watching a band on Jools Holland, but without factoring in the Amp, Pedals, Mic, Mic Positioning and substantial post-processing that takes place by Engineers. If you were to buy that exact Guitar, you would wonder why it doesn't sound anything close to how it does on the box. It's because you have only bought 1/10 of what you heard.

But hey, a lot of the time a Mic purchase is more of an emotional purchase for a Singer, so if that's the case you will be safe enough with any of the mics in the category of the E965/KSM9/KMS etc. They are generally considered the top end of live vocal microphones. I would always think it's more about how you use it, but that's just me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 holderjc

hi
    anybody know what microphone michael buble used on the late late show last night
    I did not see that specific show, however, most of his live shows are done with the Shure Beta 87 series. It's considered a crooner mic, and is a handheld condensor. Now there are two seperate ones to consider. The 87a and the 87c series. The a series is a supercardiod polar pattern and the c series is a cardiod polar pattern. I would imagine Buble uses the C series but that is just a guess on my end.

Advertisement