Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time renting, what do I need to provide

Options
  • 20-11-2011 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy folks, long time reader first time poster.

Have organised for the first apartment for me and the misses. Just wondering if someone could outline what I need to provide in terms of PRSI things or anything like that.

I'm sure the fella will tell me but just so I can get stuff prepared if needs be :)

Thanks,
    Doc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I assume you are intending to rent out an apartment.

Google for a copy of the following:
    S.I. No. 534 of 2008
    HOUSING (STANDARDS FOR RENTED HOUSES) REGULATIONS 2008
    and the Housing (Standards for Rented Houses)(Amendment) Regulations 2009.

You also need to know your obligations and the rights of your tenants:
    Read and inwardly digest the Private Residential Tenancies Act 2004, downloadable from the PRTB site.

As for taxes and NPPR, PRTB, management fees for your apartment complex, the sometime to be introduced Household tax etc., you may be better speaking to an accountant.

At a distance, it seems quite simple to rent out a property: advertize property, get a tenant, sign a lease, collect a deposit and first month's rent in advance and bingo - no worries ......

Well, What do you do if .......
    the tenant doesn't pay the rent.
    the tenant wants to break the lease because he got a job in another county
    the tenant damages the property
    the property is damaged by water, landlord's obligations, tenant's rights.
    the tenant is unsociable towards the neighbours
    the property is broken into and landlord's or tenant's items stolen
    the landlord wants the property back for his own use
    what items are required by law to be in a residential property
    Does the landlord require a BER cert to rent a property.
    Does the landlord require any special insurance
    If the washing machine fails to function due to overloading, who pays for repairs
    Can the landlord enter the property whenever he wants
    What type of lease - Fixed term, Periodic or Part 4
    The tenant wants to run his business from the property
    The tenant appears to have left the property
    What is considered as normal "wear and tear".
    Rent the property as a single unit or rent individual bedrooms and tenants share facilities - which laws apply to each form of renting
    What are the minimum requirements for furniture and kitchen appliances.
    What happens if the heating system breaks down in the middle of winter - landlord's obligations, tenant's rights
    What happens if the tenant complains of mould in the property - damaging his clothes,
    What happens if the tenant completely wrecks the property just before they leave at the end of the lease
    Can the tenant make a claim with the PRTB if the landlord refuses to repair/replace a supplied T.V.
    How often can the landlord "inspect" the property and does the tenant have to be there during the inspection
    etc., etc., etc.,

If you can't answer these questions consider again if you want to be a landlord. Of course, you could have an agent to look after the property and the lease - but good agents are few and far between, so many don't know the law.

Advertisement