Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Amp (HDMI has no audio)

• 20-11-2011 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭

I have this amp HT-DDWG700

But I cannot get audio to work over the HDMI.

I've 2 devices plugged in:
    UPC box (using HDMI and S/PDIF)
    Media PC (using HDMI only) - but I've no sound.

Is it a case that the amp simply cannot do audio? If so I need a new amp that will be able to do video and audio over HDMI. Any suggestions?

[edit] Is it possible to have HDMI out and then split it into HDMI and coax (I think this might work, if it exists). [/edit]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you connect the media PC direct to the TV via HDMI i.e. bypass the amp., do you get audio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Sniipe

In the end - I bought some spdif -> coax converter (powered) and I was able to use spdif from both devices to get the sound. Thanks for your input coylemj. I think the HDMI is video only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

HDMI is capable of carrying video and audio. On the Sky box you can get audio from the HDMI (basic stereo only) or optical/co-ax (5.1 surround). A media PC should be able to send video and audio via HDMI.

On the Sony amp. setup screens you can say what input sources to use for each input, that's where you can say that the Sky HDMI cable is to be used for video only and the audio is to be taken from optical or co-ax port xxx.

My first thoughts on the cause of your problem was that you had accidently specified this (HDMI video, digital audio) in error as an option for the media PC instead of for the Sky box. The effect of getting the settings the wrong way round would be that you would still get video and audio when you selected the Sky box but you would get video with no audio when you selected the Media PC.

Advertisement