Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Florence & The Machine - The O2, Dublin *No Ticket Sales/Swaps*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

For everybody that missed out on getting tickets to this (like me :() They've just announced a gig with Snow Patrol in Phoenix Park on 8th July. Tickets go on sale Friday 24th Feb. Cant wait! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 gh001

Hi all,

Anyone have any tickets for the gig in O2 that they would be interested in selling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 logione

Very short set from her gig in Eindhoven by all accounts. Came in just over an hour from the reviews I'm reading. For a sold out O2 gig I'd expect a little longer than that.

Saw that on setlistfm.....11 or 12 songs, but a great selection so it will be a cracking gig, can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Going on Friday & tickets say doors opening at 6:30.

What time to can I expect the support bands to start & roughly what time can I expect Florence & the Machine to start?

I'm asking as there's no way I'll make it before 8. I have seated tickets so not bothered about getting a good standing area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

frash wrote: »
    Going on Friday & tickets say doors opening at 6:30.

What time to can I expect the support bands to start & roughly what time can I expect Florence & the Machine to start?

I'm asking as there's no way I'll make it before 8. I have seated tickets so not bothered about getting a good standing area.

Doors Open 18:30

Spector 19:15

The Horrors 20:00

FATM 21:00

Here's the source:
    http://musicscene.ie/2012/02/stage-times-revealed-for-florence-the-machine-o2-dublin-march-2nd-2012-live-concert-date/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nedzer2011

What time could we expect things to finish up? I'm assuming we'll have plenty of time to make the last luas???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Not sure what time it would finish but they're fairly organised with making sure there are plenty of trams to whisk people away from the Point area after a gig is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Had tickets to this gig tonight but had to sell them 'cause I'm currently in China until the end of May. Haven't been too homesick yet but now I'm wishing I was back home so I could see Florence. :( Currently listening to Ceremonials.

Part of me hopes she's shíte so I don't feel bad about missing it. :pac: But she's hopefully got a good long career ahead of her so I'll surely have another opportunity. :) So enjoy it, those of you lucky enough to be going!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

any reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mcballer

Would love to hear other peoples take on the gig.I was at it and was sooo looking forward to it after seeing her at EP years ago when didn't know her songs but loved her anyways. I felt mildly underwhelmed...as were some of my mates!
    Don't get me wrong was a great gig but thought I'd be blown away with amazingness!!She did play all the songs I'd hoped to hear live!
    But Don't think she interacted enough with crowd or something!Maybe I'd built it up way too much in my head with my excitements and endless listening to her albums, so couldn't live up to expectations. Would love to see her again and see if I loved her...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

mcballer wrote: »
    Would love to hear other peoples take on the gig.I was at it and was sooo looking forward to it after seeing her at EP years ago when didn't know her songs but loved her anyways. I felt mildly underwhelmed...as were some of my mates!
    Don't get me wrong was a great gig but thought I'd be blown away with amazingness!!She did play all the songs I'd hoped to hear live!
    But Don't think she interacted enough with crowd or something!Maybe I'd built it up way too much in my head with my excitements and endless listening to her albums, so couldn't live up to expectations. Would love to see her again and see if I loved her...

Totally agree. She wasnt bad, she sounded amazing but i to was waiting for that hairs on the back of your neck moment when u go WOW, i'll remember this gig for ever, but it never happened. maybe its the O2 and its hard to get a good at atmosphere going. she did come out and bell out a few songs before even saying hello. that can be hit or miss sometimes. Have tickets secured or the July gig with Snow Patrol. Hopefully it will be slightly better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mcballer

Cool!Nice to know some people are in agreement. Was waiting to be blown away and never quite reached fever pitch. Just didn't have the wild edge or something of the EP gig... Still adore her and dying to see her play again so she can make it up to me Haa :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

Got to agree. Her voice was excellent and the machines amazing but the gig never took off. It came close during Shake It Out and Dog Days but faded back. Very little interaction with the crowd but she seemed to enjoy herself.
    I guess with only two albums to draw from they are limited in what they can do.
    Overall not bad value for less than 50 quid.
    Set list below.

Only If For A Night
    What the Water Gave Me
    Strangeness & Charm
    Cosmic Love.
    Between Two Lungs.
    Shake It Out.
    Dog Days Are Over.
    Breaking Down.
    Heartlines.
    Leave My Body.
    All This and Heaven Too.
    You've Got The Love
    Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up).
    Spectrum.
    Never Let Me Go.
    No Light, No Light.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭oddman2

Seems like the general consensus is "capable of better", which I would agree with.

I thought Cosmic Love fell a bit flat, and playing it so early was quite surprising, it just never really seemed to get going. The same with You've Got the Love, she seemed to let both songs go on a bit too long before really going for them, which didn't really seem to work.

Did anyone else think her voice could have been a bit louder? Or was it just where I was standing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Agree with all above 3rd time to see her and it was the worst one. Maybe the O2 is to big for her. Seen her in the Olympia and I rate it in my top 5 all time gigs.

The sound for the horrors was really bad saying that I was at the back wall in the o2 pre sale tickets (never again).

Give me the Olympia for gigs any day over the O2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The O2 definitely isn't too big for her. Just look at this performance from Glastonbury:

She's perfect for large outdoor festivals!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I'd say a festival is a different kind of pressure for acts though.
    On an arena tour everything about it rides on you. Acts seem to enjoy themselves more at a festival and are able to relax since the entire production isnt built around them.
    Look at the setup she had for that glastonbury set. Stripped down stage, one of the worlds biggest festivals and all helped by the weather aswell. She could just go have fun. It was a relatively small stage setup last night (just the ceremonials backdrop and a cape really) but a lot more pressure is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭sisco

what the hell is wrong with you lot on this????
    always bleeding moaning..... florence was absolutely AMAZING!!!!
    I wouldnt be huge into her but I do love her music and have always listened to her you people on this are never bleeding happy get a grip yeeee? 40 euro for a ticket for that was amazing!!!! the hair on the back of my neck stood up many a time at that concert your just prob all old at this stage and the hairs on the back if your neck are now incapable of standing up!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

sisco wrote: »
    what the hell is wrong with you lot on this????
    always bleeding moaning..... florence was absolutely AMAZING!!!!
    I wouldnt be huge into her but I do love her music and have always listened to her you people on this are never bleeding happy get a grip yeeee? 40 euro for a ticket for that was amazing!!!! the hair on the back of my neck stood up many a time at that concert your just prob all old at this stage and the hairs on the back if your neck are now incapable of standing up!!!!!

Haha, You go you cool young person.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I went to the gig mainly to see the Horrors and then was glad Spector got added. saw Florence in Primavera a few years back and enjoyed her hour set but I was very bored in the O2 during her set.

Spector started the nit off brilliantly and though it wouldnt be the right crowd for the Horrors I thought they were deadly again.

Florence bored the arse off me for a finish if I'm honest. The set list wasn't great, she left off Drumming Song and never let the momentum build. She only gives it wells in the quieter songs I find and during the anthemic, loud singles she doesn't always aim to sing the high parts and give it sox. Also not a fan of her dragging the arse out of most songs, be it the slowly sung intros or extending mid sections of songs. It didn't help the setlist IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

I can see how people might feel a bit underwhelmed by this gig but it wasn't due to Florence's performance, she was excellent. I think it was down to the support acts, who were genuinely the worst support acts I have ever seen, The Horrors in particular. By the time those two finished up everyone was pissed off and bored, it was after 9pm, and people were wondering when Florence would get on stage. Think by the time she got on stage it took a long time to get out of that grumpy frame of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

As I said Hyperbullet, I was there for the supports mainly and I thought they were brilliant. Spector were catchy and lively and as I said the Horrors were playing to the wrong crowd. However Florence picked them so I think fair play to her for picking a band that wouldnt likely impress her fanbase. The crowd clearly liked Spector more and got into them from what I could see. I had friends who didn't know the Horrors and really liked them, others weren't as enthused. They were always going to be a mixed bag.

In the end Florence sang and performed well but the general set list and my own complaints I mentioned already are the reason I think others might have been underwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I was also a little underwhelmed by the gig Friday night but that's probably down to the fact that her Olympia gig I went to was so amazing. We got there about halfway through The Horrors set and I could barely tell there was music being played onstage. I even went to the loo, came back and thought they were just playing background music until I saw the band were still on stage.

Flo did start a little late and it took a few songs for the sound to really click. The setlist seemed to be about 50/50 new and old stuff but the some of the newer stuff didn't get me excited. It was a good gig overall and the wif enjoyed herself also but it didn't reach the stratospheric heights of the Olympia gig I went to.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

Someone mentioned about being too old to be at the gig. First of all I am a big fan of Florence, but I too was dissapointed with the concert, however it was more with the audience than her. This is where I think maybe I am just getting old (42) and this is the way concerts are now.

From where we were in Section N row 36, the sound was awful and we found it difficult to here her clearly, the music seemed to drown her out.

First of all getting searched to go into a concert what is that crap about. I know we are all used to it but why this concert I have gone to plenty of events in the O2 and have not needed to be searched, is it that they are expecting a younger crowd and they are sneaking in drink?

What is with the audience constantly on the move during Florence's performance. At any one point literally hundreds of people were up and about. Had they not come to see her play? Where were they all going to. Apart from the many times I had to get up to leave pople in and out, the constant traffic up and down the aisles was distracting to say the least.

The girls next to us were clearly off their heads, (as evidenced by one of them falling down the steps) and constantly hitting off my wife and throwing her hair into my wifes face.

So maybe I am too old to be going to a Florence and the Machine concert which is dissapointing given how much I like her music. So for me the concert was a dissapointment and we did leave at the encore so on the plus side we got to drive out of the carpark without needing to queue.

As I said Hyperbullet, I was there for the supports mainly and I thought they were brilliant. Spector were catchy and lively and as I said the Horrors were playing to the wrong crowd. However Florence picked them so I think fair play to her for picking a band that wouldnt likely impress her fanbase. The crowd clearly liked Spector more and got into them from what I could see. I had friends who didn't know the Horrors and really liked them, others weren't as enthused. They were always going to be a mixed bag.

In the end Florence sang and performed well but the general set list and my own complaints I mentioned already are the reason I think others might have been underwhelmed.

Very true that Spector seemed to connect to the crowd more, they made an effort at least. I spent most of The Horrors set wondering whether the singer was drunk and secondly when it would end. I think it was their last song, or maybe second to last, that went on for 12 minutes, mainly the singer hovering his mic over an amp to cause feedback. And fair enough if she wanted to pick them to open for her, but judging by how bored people were watching them it was a poor choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

LarMan wrote: »
    What is with the audience constantly on the move during Florence's performance. At any one point literally hundreds of people were up and about. Had they not come to see her play? Where were they all going to. Apart from the many times I had to get up to leave pople in and out, the constant traffic up and down the aisles was distracting to say the least.

This is the way of the O2, sadly. While it's a huge novelty to be able to drink in the auiditorium, the massive downside is there's a constant flow of people to and from the bars. Should be done away with IMO, it's something that annoys me to no end.

As for the gig itself, I was left feeling a little underwhelmed. I think it suffered in that Flo has a good few slow songs (like Between Two Lungs) that just don't really get the crowd going. I was surprised she didn't leave you've got the love and rabbit heart for the encore, and though never let me go was a pretty weak song to restart with after the break. It was an enjoyable gig, but not standout.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Charles1412

I have to say it was a brilliant gig. She really got the crowd going and was up for a laugh. The only downside was that it was after 930 when she came on stage however she did play till after 1120 which made up for the long wait:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

I wasn't particularly a Florence fan, but ended up going as a mate had a spare ticket. I listened to her 2nd CD as much as I could before the gig, and I have to admit, she was WOW. Any gig where the act sounds exactly like, if not better than, the CD gets a big thumbs up in my book. She was amazing, and I have enjoyed listening to the album even more since the gig. She is some singer. Okay, she didn't interact much with the crowd, but personally I go to gigs to hear songs being sung, not for someone to talk to me!

Regarding the audience moving about - it can be annoying if you have to keep standing up to let people by. That's the downside to having aisle seats, or near aisle seats. I was seated in the middle of the row, so didn't have to really let anyone pass. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

people were wondering when Florence would get on stage.

My fault, took me ages to hoover it! :pac:

• Advertisement

My fault, took me ages to hoover it! :pac:

I did see a guy with a hoover, had a good giggle at that!

Advertisement