Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anybody had any dealings with Onwave?

Options
  • 20-11-2011 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

My Sister heard about Onwave and is very interested, especially as it seems to be a way of getting rid of the landline.

I know how a VoIP conversation does over normal DSL broadband, but what would it be like over a satellite, with the latency?

The package looks reasonably cheap too, for the speeds on offer.

Another thing I'm surprised at is the TV offering - they've got the RTE Digital service. I thought we couldn't get RTE on satellite because of their deal with Sky? Or is their Digital service different.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mammu

omg..Ive never seen something so expensive:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

It all looked good until I daw the monthly download allowance 4GB for almost €40 am month, that is shocking, I get unlimited for €35. I'd run for the hills being honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

24 month contract.
    4GB a month dl limit.
    Hourly throttling system.
    They're also selling FREE TV

Run a mile.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    24 month contract.
    4GB a month dl limit.
    Hourly throttling system.
    They're also selling FREE TV

Run a mile.............

Package downgrade fees.
    De-installation fees.
    The list goes on.............. http://www.onwave.ie/assets/fee_schedule.pdf

Run a country mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Moved IrelandOffline > Midband

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

Onwave = re-packaged and re-heated Satellite Broadband Ireland complete with new investors who apparently are venture capitalists rather than "industry" experts......maybe you'd be best avoiding them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    I know how a VoIP conversation does over normal DSL broadband, but what would it be like over a satellite, with the latency?

Latency of up to 2000ms means VOIP is a no go.
    The package looks reasonably cheap too, for the speeds on offer.

For satellite, it's about right. Not really cheap in the grand scheme. Try to find a fixed wireless operator if there's no DSL available to you. Fixed wireless should handle VOIP nicely.
    Another thing I'm surprised at is the TV offering - they've got the RTE Digital service. I thought we couldn't get RTE on satellite because of their deal with Sky? Or is their Digital service different.

I'm guessing the RTE channels they sell you will be the digital terrestrial ones, that are currently free to anyone with an MPEG4 DTTV receiver. They can't sell RTE over satellite. It'd be the wrong satellite anyway. All the channels they list are FTA, so basically they're charging you for free TV.
    Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

AS others have said, there is nothing special or good value about this. Choose only if you've no other options. There are other satellite options available though, so check those out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Thanks all - I'll steer her away from them.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

ive just signed up as have no alternative and need decent broadband for work. going to be using it for voip. I have 10 days get out clause so will be invoking this if it is not up to standard..

anyone on here currently using it, as i say i have no alternative and i know its expensive but if it provides a good service i will be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

adne wrote: »
    ive just signed up as have no alternative and need decent broadband for work. going to be using it for voip. I have 10 days get out clause so will be invoking this if it is not up to standard..

anyone on here currently using it, as i say i have no alternative and i know its expensive but if it provides a good service i will be happy

Where are you based? I bet there is an alternative wireless provider available(hopefully)

• Advertisement

bealtine wrote: »
    Where are you based? I bet there is an alternative wireless provider available(hopefully)

You bet wrong, I tried to get a wireless provider in my area, south sligo, there is none

adne wrote: »
    You bet wrong, I tried to get a wireless provider in my area, south sligo, there is none

How about http://www.fastcom.ie
    Did you try them? They are in south Sligo.

http://www.fastcom.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/SouthSligoWestLeitrimBig.jpg

Some string and a loud hailer would be better than satellite...

bealtine wrote: »
    How about http://www.fastcom.ie
    Did you try them? They are in south Sligo.

http://www.fastcom.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/SouthSligoWestLeitrimBig.jpg

Some string and a loud hailer would be better than satellite...

Tryed them.. cannot get them, they need to be within 20 Kms of nearest BS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    It all looked good until I daw the monthly download allowance 4GB for almost €40 am month, that is shocking, I get unlimited for €35. I'd run for the hills being honest.
    Who are you with?

I don't know why I'm asking as I won't be able to get it...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

Let me preface this by saying I know the cost is high and the data is restrictive!

I am just wondering if any one who is using this service could comment on the quality of onwaves broadband. I know the clauses but currently I am with a wireless provider that is very patchy. You just dont know what you are going to get in terms of speed and it goes down once per week.

Is onwave stable are the speeds consistant if you stay inside the restrants and please if anyone is using the their phone service is the quality consitant or not?

I'd be very grateful if some users could comment on the above

Unfortunately some users in the stick are not spoiled for choice

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

I have been with Onwave since June (I was actually the first person to have the new KA Sat dish installed). The service is fine, the limits are a killer. They have been trying to set up an online tracking system for data usage for the last 6 months but it is not up and running yet. The limits were tripled until the start of December and will be doubled until the end of January.

I have not used the VoIP (I have unlimited mobile and national calls on my mobile) so I can't comment on it. I know the former owner. I can ask him about the VoIP quality at the school gate if you want ;)

If you sign up tell them I sent you so I can have a free month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

currently with a wireless provider, giving them 35 euro a month for 1mb speed, and the whole set up suffers from contention, but ive no other choice.
    so obviously 6mb for 39 a month sounds a hell of a lot better, and as a bonus i was considering getting rid of sky box and going free to air / saorview anyway ..so can get them to do that as well..
    adne..or anyone else that has it, how are you finding it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

woody1 wrote: »
    currently with a wireless provider, giving them 35 euro a month for 1mb speed, and the whole set up suffers from contention, but ive no other choice.
    so obviously 6mb for 39 a month sounds a hell of a lot better, and as a bonus i was considering getting rid of sky box and going free to air / saorview anyway ..so can get them to do that as well..
    adne..or anyone else that has it, how are you finding it..

Hi woody1,
    In my house we find Onwave to be great, we have no problems. I also find Onwave customer service to be good.
    We use the internet on a daily basis surfing the net, my wife did an online course with Fas Ecollege - no problems. My neighbours use it for skype - no problem.
    I only look at utube the odd time and an episode of True Blood on Channel 4 player once - no problem. (According to Onwave you could find your internet slowing down if you spend alot of time on utube, RTE player etc)

We dont download Music or Films,so I cant comment. http://www.onwave.ie/support
    We have downloaded computer software Dolby Flash and Photo Shop for computer animation study - No problem.

In relation to a Saorview and a Freesat/FTA Installation I would highly recommend an installer from the ISAA. http://www.isaa.tv/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Onwave may be doing an unrestricted package (as in hourly limiits and daily limits within the still applicable monthly limits) at present but get it in writing from them before you sign up.

It seems Eutelsat have not been troubled by too many customers on the Ka Sat.

Applies to new customers only though. maybe their biggest customer 3 Ireland is under pressure from 'somewhere' :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 WhosAlice

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Onwave may be doing an unrestricted package (as in hourly limiits and daily limits within the still applicable monthly limits) at present but get it in writing from them before you sign up.

Applies to new customers only though. maybe their biggest customer 3 Ireland is under pressure from 'somewhere' :p

Looks like they'll be more customers signing up too now that NI have joined in the Satellite broadband "party" again. Awarded to Onwave this time rather than Avanti
    http://www.techcentral.ie/article.aspx?id=18070

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Likely to be a bunch of people reselling the same service so best to price check/service check before purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Don't quite get you SB - you mean the hourly and daily limits might be lifted but the monthly cap would remain ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hydrogenengine

Recently had it installed, it worked for a week then became so intermittent
    we can no longer rely on it, back using my mobile again.
    We were supposed to have a service call three days ago but no contact at all,

There are no restrictions to the dish, just skyline so my guess is their satellite system is the problem, will they admit to it, no way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Recently had it installed, it worked for a week then became so intermittent
    we can no longer rely on it, back using my mobile again.
    We were supposed to have a service call three days ago but no contact at all,

There are no restrictions to the dish, just skyline so my guess is their satellite system is the problem, will they admit to it, no way.

Spoke to a neighbor only this morning and his wife uses Onwave at home for business (on the 8MB package afaik) and they are delighted with it (although not totally happy with the installation).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sdaniel

I got Onwave installed in January with the 10 unlimited plan. I didn't actually use it much until around the end of March. I was very pleased with it. For a while. Then it slowed to a crawl. I had supposedly exceeded my limit and had gone into the FAP speed. The tables on the website say my plan is supposed to have 25G before it goes into what they deceptively refer to as 1M speed, but the representative never addressed that question. In fact he never actually answers any real question I have. He gave me a link to two places where I can check the speed and he is completely satisfied with the test results. He tells me it will be back up again by 6 June. -- It's not that I think I should have unlimited speed all the time. It's that these people have never been clear with me about anything. I don't know if they are unable to communicate, or if they are dishonest. Certainly I am unhappy with the service. Where I lived before I had a simple eircom broadband package for half the price of this one, and it never, ever slowed to this kind of crawl. I have to have satellite where I live now. I will be looking for a better company to change to, if there is one. [In addition, I opted to have a VOIP phone. So I do. But I never got any instructions about how to use that number. Goodness knows what would have happened to my home phone had I opted to change to the VOIP phone as my primary number.] I advise Great Caution in dealing with this company.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭bertiecont

Have them through the NBS and even @ €20 a month it's not worth the money.

At least when I didn't have broadband I knew I didn't have broadband, still not much better despite having onwave.

Rang them 3 times in last week to say it not working (couldn't even open google) and all they kept saying was that everything looked fine on their side!

When I eventually got a bit crappy with them this morning they just said if I have an issue with the service they are giving then to contact my service provider which is 3.

When I said that onwave certainly aren't my service provider considering they are not providing a service he just hung up on me.

Seriously thinking about going back to nothing at all - would be better value anyway and less stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 blither

Having similar issues with NBS Satellite - up to early June all was fine, since then speeds have slowed to a crawl, Onwave say it's Contention and there's nothing they can do, 3 say I need to speak to Onwave.

Would be keen to hear from anyone who has faced a similar problem and solved it.

• Advertisement

blither wrote: »

Would be keen to hear from anyone who has faced a similar problem and solved it.

The only way to "solve" it is to go to a broadband provider

Advertisement