Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddling into the unknown

Options
  • 20-11-2011 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

hey guys
    usually a sea paddler myself but myself and a buddy have been hitting some fresh water lately. we've just been pulling likely looking streams and rivers off OS maps and satellite and frankly we have been pretty lucky so far. all good runs and nice places.

but one of these days I just know a river is going to shallow out to 3 inches or be otherwise unpassable for a mile or five..

how does anyone else know where is worth trying and where isn't?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

All documented on Irish Whitewater

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

MugMugs wrote: »
    All documented on Irish Whitewater

Which is: http://irishwhitewater.com/river_guide/

Many of the rivers there are of interest to whitewater paddlers so there are likely to me more rivers out there that you could paddle.

If you find any make sure you let the world know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

not much there in cork, and of those mostly white water (odd given the url I know)

normally looking for something fastish but easy as we usually have rookies with us, and have longer sea boats.

walked a chunk of a river as best I could on sunday. looks doable, if its any cop next week ill stick a report here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

Hello

regards paddling into unknown rivers.

Most rivers that are not navigable but are usually fished by locals in towns in villages.

dont be afraid to ask/ local knowledge is best.

For example I was running tight on time and had to head down the river barrow from Athy.

I asked the bucher in Monistervin about the river not the canal ahead and he said there were no rapids.

It was dark when I got there about 9pm but safe.

EDIT : you must try the barrow for next summer carlow to waterford, all the way.

Excellent touring river.

• Advertisement
Advertisement