Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor UK has gone to the dogs

Options
  • 20-11-2011 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Not that I was ever a big fan but looking at it this year without Simon Cowell it's clear his influence is missing.

Artists come across poor, perhaps bad song choice which I gather he'd have an input on whether he is mentoring or not.

The remaining judges/mentors constantly over hype the artists in their commentary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH->TV

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

TV->RTV

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Not that I was ever a big fan but looking at it this year without Simon Cowell it's clear his influence is missing.

Artists come across poor, perhaps bad song choice which I gather he'd have an input on whether he is mentoring or not.

The remaining judges/mentors constantly over hype the artists in their commentary.

His influence? It's still Simon's show. You can be sure he's pulling every string behind the scenes. The judges are his puppets and they and the production crew, etc. all do whatever Simon Says.

Last year's contestants were an equally poor bunch, IMO, and Simon was on the panel then.

The judges have always overhyped their own artists. They want viewers to vote for them because they want to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

It was always a strange format. Who is the show about? the contestants or the judges.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Lads,
    It was "always" gone to the dogs.
    Basically it's a hyped up talent show/drama series with a crazy budget and always has been.
    The amount of audience/contestant/media manipulation going on is ridiculous.

Ultimately Cowell has gotten exceptionally rich from this show. The performers are tied down to crazily poor contracts and the judges couldnt really care less who wins or looses and that has always been the case.

I mean even the public who vote for the winners ultimately dont care enough to buy enough of their manufactured music.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_X_Factor_(UK)
    List of winners there, the only actual winner is cowell,
    Kippy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Looking at that list of winners and top 3 finishers I'd imagine there's quite a few past contestants that are very glad that this show exists.

It may not be churning out world class pop stars on a yearly basis but it probably never has.

I'd be of the opinion that this years final 6 would have a decent chance of coming out the other end of this show now as professional singers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Looking at that list of winners and top 3 finishers I'd imagine there's quite a few past contestants that are very glad that this show exists.

It may not be churning out world class pop stars on a yearly basis but it probably never has.

I'd be of the opinion that this years final 6 would have a decent chance of coming out the other end of this show now as professional singers.
    What is the point of being a "professional singer" if:
    A. You've signed away any and all decision making powers to SC's company?
    B. You're never heard of again.

There are only one or two really successful acts from the past few shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

kippy wrote: »
    What is the point of being a "professional singer" if:
    A. You've signed away any and all decision making powers to SC's company?
    B. You're never heard of again.

There are only one or two really successful acts from the past few shows.
    What is the point? The point is having the opportunity to make a living out of something you love doing? Which a decent number of past contestants are doing.

One or two really successful acts from the past few years? Do you mean there's one or two somewhat successful acts or one or two very successful acts?

If it's the former then I'd seriously disagree, quite a number of contestants have and are having quite a successful career in the entertainment industry.

If it's the later, I agree, few have reached any sort of major world wide success but there's only a handful of people in the entire world reach that level of stardom. Being part of a successful tv show doesn't give you any divine right to become a global super star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 OKeeffer

What bugs me about it it is that they take people with a bit of genuine talent and mould them into these forgettable boring gobsh*tes.

Their facial expressions and arm movements when they're singing are so contrived and false, it's laughable.

You would think Gary Barlow and Kelly Rowland would have some knowledge of what it takes to get the best out of these people, but they get them to trot out the usual hackneyed performances over and over.

No amount of bells and whistles can get past the fact that the contestants are very average this year. A good singing voice does not make a star. Charisma does, and this shower have none of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

fucking hell steve brookstein.

his wikipedia page makes me question why he hasn't hung himself yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

appreciate what others have said about previous years but this year the show has gone to pot altogether.

total car crash every night.

kelly rowland and garry barlow have not been good. kelly is up her own ar#e and garry is just boring - his critique every night is sooooo scripted (i know the others are not off the cuff either but his rehearsed crap is awful).

Advertisement