Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen King 11/22/63

Options
  • 20-11-2011 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Has anyone read this book yet? I can't wait to give it a read but don't like hardback and can't seem to find any info on the paperback release dates.
    Anyone that has read it; care to comment? Thanks:)

Heres a brief synaposis; Think it might be in a similar style to Under the dome.

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas, President Kennedy died, and the world changed forever.

If you had the chance to change the course of history, would you?
    Would the consequences be worth it?

Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students—a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night 50 years ago when Harry Dunning’s father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk.

Not much later, Jake’s friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane—and insanely possible—mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake’s new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake’s life—a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭guernica

I can't wait to give it a read but don't like hardback and can't seem to find any info on the paperback release dates

Where do you live? I got it in paperback (large paperback) in Hodges Figgis and they had it in paperback in Eason's too - didn't even see a hardback version. Think was about 15 euro.

Finished it this morning, thought it was very good - quite long and drawn out with plenty of digressions from the 'main' plot but I found those as interesting as the JFK/Oswald storyline. I love King though so may be biased!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Great will call into Eason's and see if they have a copy. Glad you liked it can't wait now!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭guernica

Did you like Under the Dome? Thought it was as good as that if not better. Hope you enjoy come back and let me know what you think after!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

I thought it was great. It is not a horror story, in the least. It is a counterfactual historical yarn, and really he gets the time and place right.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I am a great Stephen King fan, but haven't read " Under The Dome" yet. I have it on my shelf. I would like to read this latest book. I haven't bought too many of Stephen King's latest books. I recently received "The Stand" again. Then last week, I found another copy in a charity shop. I must read "The Stand" again, it's my all time favourite book. This latest book is definitely going to be read by me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

I read Stephen King a lot when I was a teenager and then stopped for years; I'd grown out of him.
    Just started reading him again recently - he tends to misfire plotwise and has some annoyingly hackneyed turns of phrase but this novel is very good.
    I just finished it half an hour ago. It's a dark piece - very much a meditation on aging and regret - and despite an occasional lapse into over-chummy characterisation it is a well-written novel.
    Definitely recommend it - top class storytelling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I might give this a shot.

Huge King fan when I was younger. Recently reading Under The Dome, his writing style actually brought back a whole load of memories in the way only SK can do.

Nearly $17 Kindle price though! Bloody hell.

I gave up on King recently - but this is an great novel. By any standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

I used to be a big fan but I feel he had become a bit of a hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

mickoregan wrote: »
    I used to be a big fan but I feel he had become a bit of a hack.

I agree with you. I'm a Stephen King fan and I've read a lot of his books. His newer stuff is not as good as his older stuff. I feel that he kind of stopped trying his best, and took on a 'anything will do' attitude with most of his newer stuff. I might give this a try though, the plot sounds intriguing and if it keeps getting good reviews I might buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

Turns out a book a week now, doesn't he?
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

mickoregan wrote: »
    Turns out a book a week now, doesn't he?
    :p

Yeah, or else he puts his old short stories (that have already been published elsewhere) into a book and calls it a "new" novel. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

I used to be an avid reader of his books,but some of the later, and not so later ones have been duds Gerald's Game, Rose Madder and Dreamcatcher spring to mind there...I did like Duma Key though.

daithi

daithi1970 wrote: »
    I used to be an avid reader of his books,but some of the later, and not so later ones have been duds Gerald's Game, Rose Madder and Dreamcatcher spring to mind there...I did like Duma Key though.

daithi

I didn't even like Duma Key. However this book is possibly his masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

Got it the other day and flew through it, thought it was great and back on old form, loved Under the Dome too but couldn't finish Duma Key

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Elevelyn wrote: »
    Got it the other day and flew through it, thought it was great and back on old form, loved Under the Dome too but couldn't finish Duma Key

Finished Duma Key - grudgingly - but I threw Lisey's Story into the green bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

born2bwild wrote: »
    Finished Duma Key - grudgingly - but I threw Lisey's Story into the green bin.

Lisey's Story was CACK sorry i finished that and Geralds Game, he mostly writes good stuff though... mostly :D:D:D

Advertisement