Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Q!

Options
  • 20-11-2011 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

My geography isn't great,:o but wanted to ask:

Which is the nearest city in NI to Cork, and how long would it take to drive there? I know it's possible to drive there and back in a day...Or is it easier to take the ferry over from Rosslare to Pembroke/Fishguard?

TIA :)

Comments

Newry I think, better option than the ferry I'd think, timewise anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭linfield

Newry is 3 hours from Cork. It's straight motorway from the Jack Lynch Tunnel up apart from the Naas Road by Bewleys.

I don't understand what that has reference to the rest of your question though.

Are you wondering if it is better to drive from Cork to Rosslare or from Cork to Northern Ireland to get a ferry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Thanks for the replies guys! :).

Linfield: I was wondering which was the quickest way to get to the UK from here apart from flying :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

linfield wrote: »
    Newry is 3 hours from Cork. It's straight motorway from the Jack Lynch Tunnel up apart from the Naas Road by Bewleys.

I don't understand what that has reference to the rest of your question though.

Are you wondering if it is better to drive from Cork to Rosslare or from Cork to Northern Ireland to get a ferry?

Id say make that about 5 - 6 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Which is the nearest city in NI to Cork,
    Belfast is the onlu city in NI so I'm guessing thats the answer.

What you're looking for is an answer to the question, how can I get to the UK for cheap goods. The answer is drive to Newry/Banbridge and do your Christmas shopping there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Quazzie wrote: »

Difficult as it may be to believe... so is Newry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Down#Cities

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Which is the nearest city in NI to Cork,

That'll be news to the people who live in the other cities of Armagh, Derry, Lisburn and Newry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

What you're looking for is an answer to the question, how can I get to the UK for cheap goods. The answer is drive to Newry/Banbridge and do your Christmas shopping there.

Not quite! I'm English and often pop home (to London) for visits. If that was the whole story, then I would do my usual - pay for the extra bag and put my goodies in there!! Or I would buy online/eBay.

But if I wanted to do a booze 'n' fags run, then I would go over the border...

I believe you are incorrect regarding Belfast being the only city in NI.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Id say make that about 5 - 6 hours.

Nah - 3 hours is possible but you'd be pushing along to do it in 3.
    I'd say 3 1/2 to 4 hours is average/realistic - with no stops.

I make the trip Cork to Meath a good bit so I have a fair idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i would say its nearly 4 hours, not a bad drive if you like motorways,
    its 360km so to make 3 hours you would have to average 120km/h,
    its not impossible but would require a bit of speeding:)

definetly not worth it for christmas shopping though

edit: what mik the man said^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

On the motorway I often find myself drifting over the 120 mark just because its a motorway, then id realise what speed I was doing and slow down again. I try to keep it at 130 all the time. Few weeks back made it from Inchicore in Dublin to Douglas in Cork in 2 hrs and 13 mins exactly. This was at night with no traffic though. Cork to Belfast without traffic shouldnt be more than 4 hours nowadays.

Advertisement