Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

converting stove to water heater

Options
  • 20-11-2011 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I want to install a wood buring stove into my existing fireplace. I want to install a stove that can incorporate a water heating coil.

Can someone recommend a model / brand?

Installation;
    Can someone recommend the best installation?
    My house is a bungalow and the fireplace is located approx. 4m away from the tank. Do I have to take the connecting pipes up through the chimney, out through the attic and then down to the tank? Or what is the best installation?
    Do I need a circulating pump?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

Contact a heating engineer. There is more involved than plumbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

19driver83 wrote: »
    I want to install a wood buring stove into my existing fireplace. I want to install a stove that can incorporate a water heating coil.

Can someone recommend a model / brand?

Installation;
    Can someone recommend the best installation?
    My house is a bungalow and the fireplace is located approx. 4m away from the tank. Do I have to take the connecting pipes up through the chimney, out through the attic and then down to the tank? Or what is the best installation?
    Do I need a circulating pump?

ok,
    existing fireplace? a stove, like the one i have is rather large, so it will sit out onthe hearth. .
    recommend a brand? .lol. . i had no choice. . i assume u only want the stove for heating water. . ie. . not rads. . this is what i wanted. . . so off i went. . all stoves are 3 rad 5 rad 8 rad 12 rad. . all with about 8.5kw boilers. . . but a boiler for water only needs to be 2.5-3.5kw. and finding a stove with this requirement was hard. we had two choices Stanley Tara or Harmony II stove. both sold fuel. . for looks and just general taste, we went for the Harmoney. . really happy. . . as u can see from my other post here, its heating water fast and needs a pump for circulation.
    you will need a circulation pump.. .
    a plumper will advise on root for piping.

what u might find. . is you want a stove with boiler. and u think yehh you got one. . harmony say. . but then you will probably see thats way way too much kw for the size of the room the stove is going in. ..

i say. . if its a sitting room with 2 doors open both and heat the house. .. it literly will.

I have mine in a room with 1 door, the room is large .. but it wouldnt be a suprise some times to see 24 on the temp gauge

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭19driver83

Thanks for reply,
    It will be for an existing fireplace and will sit on the hearth.
    I do want it for heating the rads...in fact thats the main reason I want it. How much would this cost, ive seen some 2nd hand ones for sale on done deal? Is there anything I shud watch out for if buying 2nd hand?

After reading your thread, you have made me realise that putting a stove of this size into a small living room will probably turn the place into a sauna.

Are there any alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

Thanks for reply,
    It will be for an existing fireplace and will sit on the hearth.
    I do want it for heating the rads...in fact thats the main reason I want it. How much would this cost, ive seen some 2nd hand ones for sale on done deal? Is there anything I shud watch out for if buying 2nd hand?

After reading your thread, you have made me realise that putting a stove of this size into a small living room will probably turn the place into a sauna.

Are there any alternatives?

how many rads are you looking to heat? how big is the house?
    a stove that heats 10 rads is a fair size. actually its huge. . .while filling and maintaining might not be too bad, but to put enough heat to heat rads . . yes the room will melt.

I for one was against the stove heating rads. I have 2 friends who build houses and done this. . both told me, heat water in cylinder, yes, any amount. rads, not so much. . all rads ended up just been luke warm. . no heat at all. .
    what was happening . . one had a small stove.. . . almost bought the stove to fit the room. . and turned out just right for heating the room, but useless at heating rads. . the other friend went the other way. . massive massive stove. .. double doors at front. . huge stove for a very very small room. . . .. .
    for me i come home from work at 5, put on the stove . . and it gets up to heat in 20 mins. and i just fill it up with coa once and keep an eye on air in take. . and thats it . . but if i was aiming to get 10-12 rads up to full temp, i dont know how much fuel id be burning, and how long it would take to get them heated.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭19driver83

Looking to heat 6 rads. 1800 sq ft.

Thanks for the feedback and examples, greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

Looking to heat 6 rads. 1800 sq ft.

Thanks for the feedback and examples, greatly appreciated.

What size are the rads and are they doubles or singles and room size? Its very important to find the required room heat required where the stove is located and the required boiler stove.

It's no good chucking any boiler stove in as it may roast out the room but not heat the rads. It has to be sized for both:)

I have a multifuel boiler stove heating 5 rads 4 doubles, towel rail and hot water. It takes around 45 minutes depending on how hot the hot water is.

It's a 105 sqm (1130 sq ft) extended detatched 2 bed bungalow. Over 7 months we used 50 40kg bags of coal and had the fire lit 13 hours a day most days last winter. We use no other heating except the boiler stove.

Stove Fan:)

Advertisement