Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring from science to arts?

Options
  • 20-11-2011 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Has anyone had to change course before? Is it as simple as applying through cao again? and i'm wondering would you be discriminated against considering you dropped out? Halfway into the year i realise i've made a huge mistake and hosen the wrong faculty and i'm kind of freaking out.:eek: Fees are not really an issue since i did not qualify.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

tamarax53 wrote: »
    Has anyone had to change course before? Is it as simple as applying through cao again? and i'm wondering would you be discriminated against considering you dropped out? Halfway into the year i realise i've made a huge mistake and hosen the wrong faculty and i'm kind of freaking out.:eek: Fees are not really an issue since i did not qualify.

Quite a few people come to the same conclusion as you do, so you are definitely not alone!

However, I don't entirely know what you mean by the fact that you don't qualify for fees. :confused: If you are on full EU fees then it shouldn't matter to you. However, if you are free fees or grant based you will probably have to pay half full EU fees for one year if you drop out now and re-enter. If you drop out mid-Spring or later you may have to pay full EU fees (+ student contribution) for one full year.

It is important to bear in mind that dropping out is formally concluded through your programme office and admin. You will certainly keep your old student number if you reapply to UCD. Whether or not you complete any of the modules you are currently registered to may have a bearing on a possible internal transfer.

You should definitely discuss this with your programme office and the student desk in order to see what your options are, and what the implications (fees and otherwise) are for your actions.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

You need to contact the relevant programme offices and admissions. Reading this page will be a good start.
    https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/transfer.ezc

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

dont drop out of science :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tamarax53

dont drop out of science :(
    Why not? Tbh its not a bad course, just not my cup of tea :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

However, I don't entirely know what you mean by the fact that you don't qualify for fees. :confused:

Not everybody is eligible. She might not have been resident in the EU or may have already completed a level 8 etc.

OP you have a few options. I gave the link to the transfers page and it should list them all. I imagine that reapplying through the CAO may be your best option, but it is up to yourself. If you stay till Christmas you might be able to get some Science credits transferred to your next degree, meaning you would not need to take electives in first year. If you are withdrawing you'll need to go to your programme office. But have a look at the admissions page I gave the link to earlier as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement